Hank Mobley

You guys got me nervous so this afternoon I inquired with Mosaic; I was told it'll be around at least another year.

Another year? In that case I can hardly believe the numbering is sequential, with mixedupfiles' set being in the high 7400s and the total number being 7500.

Hans, since you seem to be in touch with Scott on a regular basis, could you ask him about this? Up until recently, at least, the big boxes were definitely numbered in the sequence in which they were shipped--based on Mosaic's email to Brad, and also based on the numbers people have posted here for soon-to-be OOP sets that they just purchased. Perhaps this has changed? Or perhaps mixedupfiles' Mobley number is, well, mixed up? smile.gif Given the recent outsourcing of shipping operations, who knows?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys got me nervous so this afternoon I inquired with Mosaic; I was told it'll be around at least another year.

Another year? In that case I can hardly believe the numbering is sequential, with mixedupfiles' set being in the high 7400s and the total number being 7500.

Hans, since you seem to be in touch with Scott on a regular basis, could you ask him about this? Up until recently, at least, the big boxes were definitely numbered in the sequence in which they were shipped--based on Mosaic's email to Brad, and also based on the numbers people have posted here for soon-to-be OOP sets that they just purchased. Perhaps this has changed? Or perhaps mixedupfiles' Mobley number is, well, mixed up? smile.gif Given the recent outsourcing of shipping operations, who knows?

I've e-mailed Scott about this.

Good news is, I'm pretty sure that my one-year-old son has got his eye on this one for me for Father's Day.

No caddy for daddy this year?

"Caddy for Daddy" this is an amazing Mobley recording I recently purchased as a SACD (Analogue Productions) and listened to a dozen times already!

I've e-mailed Scott about this.

I'll be interested to hear the answer since it sounds like it may have changed.

I got # 7421, fwiw. Maybe somebody bade a "1" that looked like a "7"... 7419 instead of 7479?

But that would still mean there are but a few dozen left... do these sets sell so slowly that this is no reason yet to put them on the "running low" list? That's sad!

I don't know Mike what you're talking about because that 10" session is included in the set.......Maybe you should buy it now when still available.

I think he meant that the 10" date could have been added to the Hank Mobley and His All Stars CD pictured above.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

Of course I have the box, too .... every Hankerist should get it while it is still available. 

I just finished listening to the Hank Mobley Quartet 10" session, which I had never heard before.  I'm tempted to say that it was worth the price of the set (#7426, by the way) itself - just superb.

That and Griffin's first Argo LP are some of the best tenor sax debut albums ever recorded, IMHO.

Of course I have the box, too .... every Hankerist should get it while it is still available.

I'm a big Mobley fan, but I don't have the box anymore. I have all the material in the box on "Blue Note Works" TOCJs, with the exception of a couple of alternates, and sold the box. I also have a non-numbered copy of the Mosaic booklet.

I got # 7421, fwiw. Maybe somebody bade a "1" that looked like a "7"... 7419 instead of 7479?

But that would still mean there are but a few dozen left... do these sets sell so slowly that this is no reason yet to put them on the "running low" list? That's sad!

Well, you figure that if they've sold 7000+ over the last 10 years, that ain't so bad, really. Probably more than any of the individual LPs sold, ever.

There's only so many Hank Mobley fanatics in the world...

I'm enjoying my Mobley Mosaic - right now I'm listening to the session with Lee Morgan & Donald Byrd. But on "Touch and Go" (disc one, track 9), does anybody else have a weird electronic noise just after the four minute mark? It lasts less than a second, but is disconcerting. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if there was a mastering error that resulted in this sound on all copies.

I'm enjoying my Mobley Mosaic - right now I'm listening to the session with Lee Morgan & Donald Byrd. But on "Touch and Go" (disc one, track 9), does anybody else have a weird electronic noise just after the four minute mark? It lasts less than a second, but is disconcerting. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if there was a mastering error that resulted in this sound on all copies.

Don't have it at hand to check, but did you look at the back of the booklet (producer's note or something like that?) - usually they're quite accurate to note such mistakes, same as on other Blue Note discs, where there are notes about "phasing cymbals" etc...

Don't have it at hand to check, but did you look at the back of the booklet (producer's note or something like that?) - usually they're quite accurate to note such mistakes, same as on other Blue Note discs, where there are notes about "phasing cymbals" etc...

The Mobley booklet says nothing about any problems/errors.