Miles Davis News

JETman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The Bitches Brew 40th will contain alternate takes of "Spanish Key," "John McLaughlin" and "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down." The previous 4-CD "Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" contained no alternate takes from the actual sessions.

Yeah. Pretty "Complete", huh? I should get a refund.

Anyone picked up a copy of that new 'We Want Miles' book ? - seems to have been published in French as part of the Paris exhibition, now in an English imprint. About 35 euros - saw a copy at the weekend. Looks to have details of much of the memorabilia on show in Paris - although the copy I saw was sealed so couldn't check it out. :rmad:

The Bitches Brew 40th will contain alternate takes of "Spanish Key," "John McLaughlin" and "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down." The previous 4-CD "Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" contained no alternate takes from the actual sessions.

Yeah. Pretty "Complete", huh? I should get a refund.

Yeah... and I'd still like to get a real disc 1, all they sent me was a CDR and they sold me that as being very, very, extremely ultimately generous of them! I guess they don't expect anyone to hold on to their produce for more than 2-3 years, even if they sell such collector's items!

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email today to pre-order "The Genius of Miles Davis", which is the box set of the box sets, plus the trumpet mouthpiece etc. I originally thought I had no interest in this, but that was before I discovered it was going to be bargain-basement priced at only $1199.99 :crazy:<_<

Got an email today to pre-order "The Genius of Miles Davis", which is the box set of the box sets, plus the trumpet mouthpiece etc. I originally thought I had no interest in this, but that was before I discovered it was going to be bargain-basement priced at only $1199.99 :crazy:<_<

But you'd also get a boutique-quality t-shirt, that's a bargain!!!

And for this box set, I can't find The Complete On The Corner Sessions at a decent price, I didn't even see one at Amoeba's yesterday. I'm tempted to do a Amazon download for $40.00, though I would much prefer the real box -- I'm old and cranky, and don't like this new fangled computer stuff.

And for this box set, I can't find The Complete On The Corner Sessions at a decent price, I didn't even see one at Amoeba's yesterday. I'm tempted to do a Amazon download for $40.00, though I would much prefer the real box -- I'm old and cranky, and don't like this new fangled computer stuff.

I tried to get a physical copy last year but the order was cancelled after a couple of months looking.

I got the download a couple of months back. Sounds great!

I tried to get a physical copy last year but the order was cancelled after a couple of months looking.

I got the download a couple of months back. Sounds great!

I'm very tempted to go the download route. I might make one more Amoeba run, and if it's not there, download, here I come.

You also get the new artwork from Corky McCoy with Miles as a goat-hooved devil playing the tambourine. Unmissable ! :rsmile:

You also get the new artwork from Corky McCoy with Miles as a goat-hooved devil playing the tambourine. Unmissable ! :rsmile:

It's one of the neatest looking boxes even if it's not my favorite music.

Better buy two just in case! With this cheap stuff you never know how long it's gonna last!

• 10 months later...

Doesn't seem hard to find. Just not cheap.

Perhaps there will be more used copies out there soon and the price of those may come down. There were a lot of the Genius boxes sold when Pop Market had them for between 4 and 5 hundred. . . a lot of those people are going to have duplicate box sets to sell via amazon marketplace etc.

We were lucky it came out at all, it very nearly didn't. And I don't think they pressed that many. And it went out of print about the time that they announced the Genius trumpet case, so they likely held back the final thousand for that.

You can get used and new copies on amazon from market place sellers, and the prices are slipping a little. (This was never a reasonably priced set even on release). And amazon itself is selling a Japanese version supposedly in stock, for quite a bit of money, 215 dollars.

The OTC box was offered at a mistakenly low low LOW price by..Jazz LOft, right? And they honored their mistake, right? Is that what happened? Pretty sure that's where/when I got mine.

And yes, great design, but lousy (or at least inadequate) liner notes. That music still hasn't been looked at technically the way it should be as often as it should be. All we get is a bunch of emo "electric jungle" & "Sly meets Stockhausen" and all this and all that, which is as good as far as it goes, and sufficed for a while, but... there's a lot of stuff going on in that music.

Didn't know about the Jazz Loft thing. I paid a good bit for mine, but glad to have it.

You're right. . . the notes are nothing much, and this music is for the most part not analyzed much or talked about in print that much.

Lord knows I don't know what to say about it. I just. . . dig it. Sometimes I think I understand it, sometimes I know I don't. But I've really enjoyed it all my adult life.

The OTC box was offered at a mistakenly low low LOW price by..Jazz LOft, right? And they honored their mistake, right? Is that what happened? Pretty sure that's where/when I got mine.

And yes, great design, but lousy (or at least inadequate) liner notes. That music still hasn't been looked at technically the way it should be as often as it should be. All we get is a bunch of emo "electric jungle" & "Sly meets Stockhausen" and all this and all that, which is as good as far as it goes, and sufficed for a while, but... there's a lot of stuff going on in that music.

Wasn't the low price mistake by CD Universe on the Cellar Door box? $38?

You're right about the lousy notes in the Corner box. I couldn't believe that this is what they released it with, when all of the others had so much more information and analysis.