Happy Birthday, Larry Kart!

Interim report on birthday CDs (all used, all by and large new to me). Two gems so far:

"Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and the Orchestra" (Verve) -- great playing and writing, impossible to not listen to this straight through, fills up the soul, and so much fascinating musical detail, e.g. that "Azure"(!), that "Jeeps Blues"(!).

Is this the only RVG recording of the Ellington Band? (That's who's here, with Jimmy Jones on piano, playing handsomely.) Annotator Loren Schoenberg says that the band isn't well-served by the "balance and separation" of RVG's sound; I see what he means but disagree, have no problem putting the pieces (so to speak) back together and am grateful for all I do hear here that I might not have heard as vividly otherwise.

Schlippenbach Trio, "Winterreise" (Emanem) -- Alexander von Schlippenbach, Evan Parker, Paul Lovens, live in Cologne in 2004 and 2005. AvS is very sensitive to/supportive of EP, and as "free" as things are here, this is utterly jazz-like music IMO. First of two pieces is 46 minutes and kept me in its grip all the way.

Happy Birthday, Larry!

Not a bad day to have a b'day- Woody Herman, Betty Carter, Eddie Bert and Billy Cobham were also born on this day.

And:

1915: Marlowe Morris

1916: Dud Bascomb

1919: Liberace

1956: Hanna Richardson (very good singer and spouse of bassist Phil Flanigan)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schlippenbach Trio, "Winterreise" (Emanem) -- Alexander von Schlippenbach, Evan Parker, Paul Lovens, live in Cologne in 2004 and 2005. AvS is very sensitive to/supportive of EP, and as "free" as things are here, this is utterly jazz-like music IMO. First of two pieces is 46 minutes and kept me in its grip all the way.

Not familiar with his larger output by any means, but I do enjoy this one very much.

• 1 year later...