Herbie Nichols Love, Gloom, Cash

Tom 1960

albumcoverHerbieNichols-LoveGloomCashLove.jpg?1217281064

I was interested in this post Blue Note 1957 release on the Bethlehem label until I came across a brief review from Downbeat which described his piano on the session as out of tune. Any truth to this? FWIW, All Music Guide gave the release a very positive review. Help me get through this confusion. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A must, though my recollection is that Richmond is notably (though not greivously) less well-attuned to and less well-equipped to deal with Nichols' music than Blakey or Roach were. But then, that's Art and Max...

I suspect this date may have had less rehearsal time than the well-organized Blue Note dates. And Danny is a looser drummer, and he brings a different feel, I agree.

That reminds me of something. I got this album from an amazon.com marketplace seller. Here's what I wrote to him:

---

Hi there,

the CD arrived today. While the disc is fine, half of the last page of the booklet has been ripped off. I can send you a photo if you like. That certainly wasn't mentioned in the item description!

---

No reply. Two weeks later I sent him a reminder with the same message again. I finally got a reply with the subject header "3 REPLY HOPE YOU GET ONE"

---

YES IT WAS LISTED SO YOU CAN CONTACT AMAZON.COM BUT I WOULD SUGGEST READING BETTER WHAT YOU BUY.

SORRY THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO FOR THIS PROBLEM AS IT WAS STATED

LEE

---

Above this he quoted what was supposedly the original order information:

Seller: chanlee3002 zShop

This seller is rated: (6243)

Condition: Used - Very Good

Seller's comments: back page has damage in booklet great music , shipped with dc, has all the original , art work and case

---

And yes, obviously the original description didn't include the "back page has damage in booklet" part, as

an attempt to leave feedback for this order immediately revealed. Dude got his ass handed to him by amazon.

Some people... :rolleyes:

actually, I don't think you can have near-perfect pitch. Either you do or not. You may, however, have good ears.

plastic.jpg

There has been a big scientific debate in recent decades over perfect pitch, including what constitutes perfect pitch, whether it is inherent or can be learned, and if there is more than one category of perfect pitch. Charlie Banacos told me I had near-perfect pitch (in his words), for whatever that is worth. His ear-training exercises were the only ones that I didn't have to practice.

People can also have relative pitch, where they get the intervals right, just not always the key.

I've got that (well, at least 'really good' relative pitch), but definitely not "perfect pitch" as you describe it, Jim.

The only way I can tell what key I'm in (and this is just to even get me in the neighborhood), I have to remember this high Eb I had to sing solo when I was 14 (in a production of Menotti's Christmas operetta "Amahl and the Night Visitors"). The entrance had nothing in the score to even begin to suggest the note, so I had to do it from memory. To this day, I can usually get it within about a half step or less. Then I have to work my way around an imaginary keyboard in my head, to figure out what some other note is.

Imperfect, sure, but it's all I got, since somehow I've lost every pitch-pipe I've ever owned.

Edited by Rooster_Ties