Big Update on Mosaic Site - Lunceford, Rivers, Tolliver Big Band

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Sam Rivers Florida big band disc they mention (which they misspelled, it's "Aurora") is just about THE most outrageous thing I've ever heard. Think of Schoenberg as performed by a big band, with James Brown's rhythm section (or at least bass-player). The Sam Rivers RCA big band material is good, but the Florida big band is off the charts!!

AND, am I understanding right that the new Tolliver Select is also going to include both of the earlier Strata East big band dates?? ("Music Inc. & Big Band" and the Strata East "Impact"?? -- note, there's also a live quartet release called "Impact" on enja, which is totally different.) If so, this is VERY good news. The CD issues of those two Strata East dates have had atrocious sound.

I'll be getting both of these for sure!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Email from Mosaic:

Upcoming Releases

Limited Edition Box Set

The Complete Jimmie Lunceford Decca Sessions (7 CDs)

(Release Date: May/June 2011)

Mosaic is pleased to announce a long awaited project that has been on the wish list of many of our customers: The Decca recordings of the Jimmie Lunceford band. Blessed with superb soloists and demandingly advanced arrangements, the Harlem Express, as they were billed at times, became a favorite among swing fans and the record buying public in general.

Amongst the classic Decca sides represented here were hits like "My Blue Heaven", "Margie" (the Trummy Young trombone and vocal feature which became his trademark), "Rhythm Is Our Business", "Sleepy Time Gal" (with its remarkable reed passage), "Swanee River" (the Sy Oliver chart which later was recycled to become one of Tommy Dorsey's greatest successes), "Organ Grinder's Swing", "Blues In The Night", "The Honeydripper" and the smash hit of "For Dancer's Only". The band had a unique one-on-one relationship with the public since they rarely played in one venue for long stretches of time. Their frequent one-nighters made them one of the most traveled bands of the era in theaters, nightclubs and ballrooms country-wide and the first jazz group to tour Sweden in 1937.

The Lunceford roster stuck with Jimmie for much of the band's life history and included the booting tenor of Joe Thomas, the fluid alto of Willie Smith (among the big four along with Carter, Hodges and Parker), Paul Webster's stratospheric trumpet, the brilliant trombone work (and vocals) by Trummy Young and one of the greatest of all jazz drummers - Jimmy Crawford. But what set apart this band from many of the others were the futuristic yet swinging arrangements by Sy Oliver, Eddie Wilcox, Willie Smith, Eddie Durham, Gerald Wilson and Tadd Dameron.

This will be the first time all of these Decca sessions are to be gathered together for the first time. We were fortunate to have not only metal parts available from the Universal Music vaults, but also mint condition test pressings from the collection of the masterful sound engineer, the late John R.T. Davies and mint 78s from collector (and Mosaic customer extraordinaire) Leon Dierckx. The text for our booklet comes from researcher and author of the Lunceford biography Rhythm Is Our Business , Eddy Determeyer. Photographs for the booklet include many never seen before images from the Joe Thomas archives held at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Libraries.

"At the time I joined Jimmie Luceford's band, they could outdraw any band in the country. Benny Goodman? We were more popular than Benny Goodman! We were the first black band the played the Paramount Theatre. Not Duke Ellington, not Count Basie. Six weeks in a row and it was packed every day, people lining up around the corner, constantly! We could outdraw any band in the country. They were the forerunners, between swing and bebop. They were right there. And their records prove this. One of the greatest bands of all time." - Gerald Wilson

New Mosaic Select Releases

Upcoming Releases

Mosaic Selects

The Charles Tolliver Big Band (3 CDs)

(Release Date: June 2011)

"Rarely if ever has a big band exhibited so much freedom or finesse, while at the same time never overwhelming the virtuoso soloists on whom the performances pivot." - Jason Ankemy, Allmusic.com

The Charles Tolliver Big Band has come to be known for its intricate, layered writing, charging rhythms and exciting soloists. The band's roots trace back to 1970 when Tolliver recorded "Music Inc. & Big Band" for his Strata-East label. He and Stanley Cowell were the composers and principal soloists for this ground-breaking album, which represented the new approach to big band writing since the emergence of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra five years earlier.

It was more likely finances rather than ambition that put five years between that album and its successor "Impact." This time the expanded big band included eight strings and James Spaulding, Charles McPherson and George Coleman are among its soloists.

From these, it was thought that the trail ran cold for this band until the mid 2000s. But in preparation for this reissue, Charles ran across a tape of a big band workshop/broadcast that he did in 1979 with NDR Big Band in Hamburg, Germany. He secured the rights and the master tape and that music is released for the first time in this set. Soloists include Tolliver, fellow trumpeter Benny Bailey, alto saxophonist Her Geller, pianist Wolfgang Dauner and drummer Alvin Queen.

In recent years, the band has reformed and returned with a vengeance, touring and recording for Blue Note (2007) and Half Note (2009). Its legacy begins with this Mosaic Select.

Sam Rivers & The Rivbea Orchestra - Trilogy (3 CDs)

(Release Date: June 2011)

By the time Sam Rivers was able to document his orchestral writing in 1974 (on the Impulse album "Crystals") at the tender age of 51, he was best known for leading a magnificent, purely improvised trio devoid of all written music. But composition was (and is) as much a part of his incessantly fertile mind as improvisation.

His densely-layered and beautifully voiced multi-sectional orchestra pieces burn with an intensity that never forsakes the music's beauty. Rivers seamlessly integrates improvisation into the written score. Solos are distributed democratically as effective, concise statements.

In 1992, Rivers moved to Orlando, Florida where he quickly formed another powerful improvising trio and set about seeking personnel to form an orchestra for the music that he was constantly writing. After two all-star albums for RCA Records in 1998 ("Inspiration" and "Culmination"), recorded in New York, an Orlando edition of the Rivbea Orchestra started to emerge in the early 2000s.

Drawn from teachers and students at surrounding colleges, frustrated members of various Walt Disney World aggregations and retired veterans of orchestras like Tommy Dorsey and Woody Herman, Sam Rivers crafted a first-class orchestra to realize his music. In 2007, he issued the new Rivbea Orchestra's first recording "Airora" on his own Rivbea label.

When we heard the album, we called Sam to offer our jaw-dropping praise, he told us essentially there is plenty more where that came from and set about sifting through hours of studio and live recordings to cull the three CDs of previously unreleased material contained in this set. The results are forward-thinking and electrifying.

View All Mosaic Upcoming Releases

New Mosaic Select Releases

Jazz Video Cafe

New Additions

Sidney Bechet

A rare opportunity to view Sidney Bechet stretching out on the St. Louis Blues alongside Claude Luter's band. Filmed in a concert setting while Bechet was a resident of Paris.

Lester Young & More - Jammin The Blues

Filmed in 1944, this Warner Brothers short feature is considered one of the finest examples of jazz on film. "Jammin' The Blues" brings together Lester Young, Harry Edison, Illinois Jacquet, Red Callendar, Marlowe Morris, Barney Kessel, Sid Catlett, Jo Jones and vocalist Marie Bryant.

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

By this 1961 episode of Jazz Casual, Desmond had become extremely comfortable with his creation and turns in a beautiful fluid solo, while Brubeck, Gene Wright and Joe Morello lock into the 3 beat-2 beat pattern that forms the basis for the composition.

Charles Mingus - Goodbye Porkpie Hat

A 1975 Montreux Jazz Festival performance of Charles Mingus's famous ode to Lester Young "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by his band with Jack Walrath, George Adams, Don Pullen and Dennie Richmond. Gerry Muilligan and Benny Bailey sit in as guest artists.

Andrew Hill - Solo

Andrew was an extraordinary pianist, composer, thinker and person. His work has been well represented on Blue Note and Mosaic. This is a beautiful solo performance from Canada of "Malachi".

footer

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

All of us at

www.mosaicrecords.com

www.truebluemusic.com

Email: info@mosaicrecords.com

203-327-7111

I have been waiting for this "official" announcement for some time! :party:

I think I'm going to have to get all of the offerings! (Well, maybe not) But they all look great.

Also, the Tolliver Select caught me off guard, I had no idea that was in the pipeline!

FINALLY, they all are coming out in the May/June time frame, which means Mosaic madness :w and also a lower checking account balance...

I've never been able to get into Rivers' big band recordings. Perhaps I'll try again.

Perhaps give the recent Florida Big Band disc a try first??

I found the RCA 'all-star' group discs (from '99) more than just a bit impenetrable at first (for a few years, actually), but have grown to like them (though I wouldn't go so far as to say 'love'). The Florida big band date, on the other hand, knocked me on my ass from the git go. :crazy:

The key difference, for me, was the rhythm section. Sam's got an electric bass player (saw him with Sam in Topeka a few years ago), who also plays with his local big band. I was skeptical at first (electric in that kind of context?), but he/they soon won me over. He and the drummer were very tight.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably a little more excited about this Rivers Select, than I might have been with his 70's small-group recordings.

Anybody else got Aurora, can you help me testify?!! :excited:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've never been able to get into Rivers' big band recordings. Perhaps I'll try again.

Perhaps give the recent Florida Big Band disc a try first??

I found the RCA 'all-star' group discs (from '99) more than just a bit impenetrable at first (for a few years, actually), but have grown to like them (though I wouldn't go so far as to say 'love'). The Florida big band date, on the other hand, knocked me on my ass from the git go. :crazy:

The key difference, for me, was the rhythm section. Sam's got an electric bass player (saw him with Sam in Topeka a few years ago), who also plays with his local big band. I was skeptical at first (electric in that kind of context?), but he/they soon won me over. He and the drummer were very tight.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably a little more excited about this Rivers Select, than I might have been with his 70's small-group recordings.

Anybody else got Aurora, can you help me testify?!! :excited:

Yes, and double Amen to that!!!!!!! I will be all over this set!

I was skeptical as well about the Rivers big band, but I'm sampling Aurora now on CD Baby and really enjoying it. I dig the fact that it's a different sound than your traditional big band. That e-bass is pretty damn neat!

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I don't think I have any Lunceford in my collection (maybe an old LP somewhere). Not sure if a 7-disc set is the place to start, but this is the kind of stuff that Mosaic does best.

Looking forward to the Tolliver as well. His other Select box is a favorite.

But no money right now! :(

I agree w/ R/T, Aurora is amazing, and an expanded release of that band would be dandy. I too don't thrill to the RCAs, I wouldn't go crazy hunting for those if you don't have them. Plenty of excellent small group Sam has come out since.

If I lost all my Sam CD's, I'd definitely replace the Florida "Aurora" big band disc -- and probably not the RCA's (much as I love Sam).

That we're suddenly getting THREE more discs of that kind of material, is a huge and wonderful surprise!! :tup

I love this sentence describing the Lunceford: This will be the first time all of these Decca sessions are to be gathered together for the first time.

:lol: I think that sentence is for people who walk into stores like Video Only and ask if they sell CD players. I confess I know little of Lunceford but it sounds like something that might be up my alley. Maybe even boulevard.

Just got an email back from Mosaic and the remastering for the upcoming sets will be....drumroll.... :excited:

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

Charles Tolliver--Malcolm Addey

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

I was thinking Andreas Meyer might be doing the Lunceford set, since he's done the Shaw and the Armstrong. Hopefully it turns out great!

There it is!

I love this sentence describing the Lunceford: This will be the first time all of these Decca sessions are to be gathered together for the first time.

Not the first time I've noticed editorial oversights in Mosaic press releases. Even basic proof reading should catch things like this. Fortunately, they pay way more attention to the music than they do to the clarity of their communication.

Just got an email back from Mosaic and the remastering for the upcoming sets will be....drumroll.... :excited:

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

Charles Tolliver--Malcolm Addey

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

I was thinking Andreas Meyer might be doing the Lunceford set, since he's done the Shaw and the Armstrong. Hopefully it turns out great!

There it is!

Are you sure Ron McMaster will do the MJQ set? Seems strange to me, because it's Atlantic material and as an EMI/Blue Note engineer he's usually not mastering non-EMI/Blue Note material.

Hey guys, about the remastering weirdness, I just copied the email that I received from Mosaic's Fred. I sent an email asking why I hadn't gotten emails from Mosaic recently and who would be doing the remastering.

Here's the email:

Checked the records and you are a strong supporter of Mosaic Records. I've

readded your e-mail to the list (not sure why it was dropped). You are on

the catalog mail list and the last one sent was in November.

Mastering:

Sam Rivers - Jon Horwich

Charles Tolliver - Malcolm Addey

MJQ - Ron McMaster

Lunceford - Andreas Meyer

Regards,

Fred