JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Thank you all so much for your recent comments. And especially thank you Africabrasss for restarting this thread as luckily it came to my email inbox. I am not good at using the blog.

I am about to leave Tokyo back to Chicago. I just finished the new cover for Clare Fischer, Extension which will be fully manufactured in two weeks. The music is large ensemble jazz with classical and other tinges. Not avant. But as brilliant as jazz arrangement ever gets. It is pure genius in my opinion and why I am putting it out. I hope you all will like it. It gets the same sound and packaging treatment as all the previous reissues. Sound is straight off the 3 track masters at EMI.

Next will be Steig, Flute Fever and tnen Joe Daley, At Newport 63'. At Sony Entertainment in NYC I transferred all the Daley tapes and there is enough material for three CDs. NONE of the actual original live music from Newport was on the vinyl. None. The live material has never been published. The vinyl was all studio performances, heavily edited, and reverbed to death and gone. The real live stuff is killer good. The rhythm section is amazing. And of course there is no revrb on the live stuff and it is dead sounding like the real outdoors.

i am blown away with the performances both in the studio and at Newport and the sound quality. Three CDs worth. It will be in a deluxe box.

More data to come.

Again thank you all for bringing this all to the fore and allowing me to give some predict to what is ahead.

What amazing news!

Put me down for all of that and please keep up the good work, Jonathan!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all so much for your recent comments. And especially thank you Africabrasss for restarting this thread as luckily it came to my email inbox. I am not good at using the blog.

I am about to leave Tokyo back to Chicago. I just finished the new cover for Clare Fischer, Extension which will be fully manufactured in two weeks. The music is large ensemble jazz with classical and other tinges. Not avant. But as brilliant as jazz arrangement ever gets. It is pure genius in my opinion and why I am putting it out. I hope you all will like it. It gets the same sound and packaging treatment as all the previous reissues. Sound is straight off the 3 track masters at EMI.

Next will be Steig, Flute Fever and tnen Joe Daley, At Newport 63'. At Sony Entertainment in NYC I transferred all the Daley tapes and there is enough material for three CDs. NONE of the actual original live music from Newport was on the vinyl. None. The live material has never been published. The vinyl was all studio performances, heavily edited, and reverbed to death and gone. The real live stuff is killer good. The rhythm section is amazing. And of course there is no revrb on the live stuff and it is dead sounding like the real outdoors.

i am blown away with the performances both in the studio and at Newport and the sound quality. Three CDs worth. It will be in a deluxe box.

More data to come.

Again thank you all for bringing this all to the fore and allowing me to give some predict to what is ahead.

What amazing news!

Put me down for all of that and please keep up the good work, Jonathan!

Me too!! :party:

Yes, the airplane noise is dubbed as are the announcements and clapping and reverb. Yes, this reissue will be Joe Daley actually at Newport for the first time and his two studio sessions in Chicago before the Newport live date. So three different sessions took place and all will be included except maybe one performance in the studio if space does not permit. P.S. Note for those who quoted my previous entry I have since made minor edits and updates.

Edited by JLH

Thank you all so much for your recent comments. And especially thank you AfricaBrass for restarting this thread as luckily it came to my email inbox. I am not good at using the blog.

I am about to leave Tokyo back to Chicago. I just finished the new cover here in Tokyo for Clare Fischer, Extension which will be fully manufactured in two weeks. The music is large ensemble jazz with classical and other tinges. Not avant. But as brilliant as jazz arrangement ever gets. It is pure genius in my opinion and why I am putting it out. I hope you all will like it. It gets the same sound and packaging treatment as all the previous IPI reissues. Sound is straight off the 3 track masters at EMI.

Next will be Steig, Flute Fever and tnen Joe Daley, At Newport 63'. At Sony Entertainment in NYC I transferred all the Daley tapes and there is enough material for three CDs. NONE of the actual original live music from Newport was on the vinyl. None. The live material has never been published. The vinyl was all studio performances, heavily edited, and reverbed to death and gone. The real live stuff is killer good. The rhythm section is amazing. And of course there is no reverb on the live stuff and it is dead sounding like the real outdoors.

I am blown away with the performances both in the studio and at Newport and the sound quality. Three CDs worth. It will be in a deluxe box. Expense to me and the consumer is the only hitch right now as the box alone adds thousands to the cost. But the box will be gorgeous.

More data to come.

Thank you for letting me know what's coming up, JLH! The quality of your releases are spectacular and I'm so grateful for what you are doing for jazz lovers everywhere. I'm so excited about these new releases!!

Colinmce has brought up a key point for me. I had hoped to keep the retail cost around 50-60 dollars. Assuming the same high quality in this production as usual with IPI and three separate CDs in the box but each with its own usual IPI cover (not just bare CDs as is usual in box sets) would you all pay the 60.00 bucks? And the outer box will be a blow away.

Think carefully, because as you know when the time comes to buy it can be daunting to have to pay out that much in these times.

All of your feedback would do much to help me work this somewhat sticky problem out. The CD box to hold the three separate CD covers will cost me 7,000.00 alone. I can recover my costs if I sell for 50 or 60 dollars. And sell 1500 of them.

Thank you all.

Edited by JLH

I don't think $50 would deter those of us who usually buy this sort of thing, Jonathan. Whether there are 1500 of us out there....who knows?

However anyone who bought either of your first two releases is bound to give it serious consideration and I'd hate to give you any reason for not releasing it!

I've no problem with 60 dollars. My only concern would be availability in UK,, With the last two reissues JLH I have ordered from Amazon because UK amazon did not initially list them. So I'd like to properly sorted distribution to Europe. This may be asking the impossible but I'll buy it anyway as the Daley wad one of my suggestions.

To shell out $60 for someone whose music I've never heard... Not sure I'd do that.

Agreed. I've bought the first two releases, but I wouldn't spend $60 on such a lark...esp. considering I might hate it. If there was a money-back guarantee, then maybe.

Do you really need a box, though? Perhaps you should consider a Digipak, similar to the recent Miles Davis bootleg. Just a thought, but it could bring the price down.