JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks everybody. Very helpful. Well this shows there is a nice desire for the Daley in this kind of sophisticated group. Wish you guys were 25,000 strong. I'd be in clover. I have my strong opinions of the Carter/Bradford and the Steig but am trying to avoid pushing my own material on the site as it caused an objection last time which led two members to go back and forth on it, etc. So I try to stick to facts of what is what without tooting my own horn too much. Well, had I a choice I would do the Daley first. But for this year it will be Carter Bradford and Steig, both in very limited numbers. Then Daley in a three CD box set. My opinion (sorry JS Angry, I am going to toot so be warned) is that Russel Thorne on the Daley material is astounding and this alone is reason to put out this box set or no one will ever know what this guy could do. And on the live stuff, the trio is killler good. Hal Russel really is in the groove and they communicate so well. I love the stuff. So it will come out and hopefully next year as I accumulate funds and get it done. By the way the Steig set is a good two steps up from the vinyl because we have the full version of Lover Man (which George Avakian called a masterpice--and then proceeded for time reasons? to cut it down losing much of what made it so incredible). And we have one extra tracks of What is This Thing Called Love which I feel is fabulous Hence two of my favorite tracks were not really on the original vinyl. The Steig should be documented because I feel it is the finest straight ahead flute performance I have heard, not to mention Denny Zeitlin is completely in the zone on it. That's my two cents.

Again, thanks for your interest. I have the rights and am lined up to do both Carter Bradfords and the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. First is Flight for Four, which in my opinion is just killer good. And for those with the vinyl yes it is quite good, but as we have access to the master tapes I think you'll find the sound a jump up. Anyway, now that you know I have the rights to all three ( I think I mentioned it earlier), I need some objective feedback here. Do people on this site feel there is a public interest for the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. I'm a bit concerned about it. Maybe Chuck N. and Larry K. can jump in as they have experience with this. I think Flight for Four will sell about 750 CDs if I'm lucky. Maybe I'm off. Let me know what you guys think on Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened, which I (correctly or incorretly) assume will sell less. I hope to be in a position in two years where I dont' care about sales and I just put out what is great and let it fly. But I'm not there yet so each investment in the CD reissues need to at least break even.

I'm guessing that the same people who purchased the Hemphill reissue would want to purchase The Giant Is Awakened, even if Tapscott doesn't quite have the same name recognition. It's not simply a great record, it also carries some historical significance, documenting that lesser-heard "underground" L.A. scene of the late 60's. Arthur Blythe gives it his all, and the bass-drum tandem on the set (Williams/Freeman) is on fire — holding their own easily, say, with Haden/Blackwell. I've been living with a vinyl rip for years, and would love to hear what a JLH transfer would sound like.

So, count me in at least. Oh, and for what it's worth, the cover art alone will sell some copies. Very hip.

Again, thanks for your interest. I have the rights and am lined up to do both Carter Bradfords and the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. First is Flight for Four, which in my opinion is just killer good. And for those with the vinyl yes it is quite good, but as we have access to the master tapes I think you'll find the sound a jump up. Anyway, now that you know I have the rights to all three ( I think I mentioned it earlier), I need some objective feedback here. Do people on this site feel there is a public interest for the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. I'm a bit concerned about it. Maybe Chuck N. and Larry K. can jump in as they have experience with this. I think Flight for Four will sell about 750 CDs if I'm lucky. Maybe I'm off. Let me know what you guys think on Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened, which I (correctly or incorretly) assume will sell less. I hope to be in a position in two years where I dont' care about sales and I just put out what is great and let it fly. But I'm not there yet so each investment in the CD reissues need to at least break even.

FWIW (perhaps not much), from someone more on the periphery of the jazz scene, I think The Giant Is Awakened is better known than Flight for Four (which I've never heard of). If TGIA can be considered "legendary" and "rarely heard," that could contribute to sales. Also promote that Blythe is on it.

I'm perhaps in the lucky position of not having to worry too much about what I spend on my musical tastes, so this is really a "no-brainer" for me. All the proposed releases look excellent to me. I've had a vinyl rip of the Jeremy Steig for many years and listen to it often. The same goes for my Carter/Bradford/Tapscott "West Coast Hot" CD - great music! Your previous releases are played often in my house, so......you put 'em out, Jonathan and......I'll buy 'em!

Edited by Head Man

as Clifford T mentioned on this thread last November

" I think it would do very well. The "Spiritual Jazz shirt-lifters" (to use Stefan Jaworzyn's term) are all over Tapscott records. It would sell a thousand copies quite easily, especially with that beautiful gatefold cover artwork and improved sound. Not to mention it's an unequivocally great album"

I'm quite confident TGIA would shift 1000 units - it just needs to be advertised/marketed in the right places (Tom Albach may even carry it/sell it from his website - nimbuswest)

or http://bjazz.blogspot.com.au/2007/11/maj-disco-tapscott.html

I'm up for any of your releases - have them all so far

Edited by romualdo