Sonny Rollins Impulse 2-fer

mjzee

There's a whole run of these twofers coming from Universal over here... so far, word has been out on these:

Albert Ayler - Love Cry / The Last Album

Art Blakey - Jazz Messengers!!!!! / A Jazz Message

Alice Coltrane - Universal Consciousness / Lord Of Lords

Duke Ellington - Meets Coleman Hawkins / And John Coltrane

Coleman Hawkins - Today And Now / Desafinado

Milt Jackson - Statements / Jazz 'n' Samba

Ahmad Jamal - Poinciana Revisited / Freeflight

Elvin Jones - Illumination! / Dear John C.

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse! / There Will Never Be Another You

Pharoah Sanders - Village Of The Pharoahs / Wisdom Through Music

Shirley Scott Trio - For Members Only / Great Scott!!

Archie Shepp - For Losers / Kwanza

Gabor Szabo - The Sorcerer / More Sorcery

McCoy Tyner Trio - Inception / Reaching Fourth

Too many contain one recently reissued album, alas, combining it with a rarer one (Shepp, Coltrane, Rollins)

The Ayler is silly... would have made sense in this case to combine "The Last Album" with the companion album... also "Love Cry" had some fine bonus tracks that will be missing here for time (and "original album" crappity) reasons.

Also, the Jamal should have included OutertimeInnerspace with the companion Freeflight, to give the complete Newport recordings. Espescially frustrating since OutertimeInnerspace has never been issued on CD (to my knowledge) for some reason.

Oliver Nelson Full Nelson/Sound Pieces would have been cool. The 70s Marion Browns? A couple of the later Keith Jarretts? Sam Rivers? Max Roach? Dewey Redman? Many missed opportunities here, seems to me.

Ah well, this obviously isn't a series that had any such intention behind it... rather just some more or less lackluster things pasted together. Let's just hope it sells well enough for more and hopefully more interesting reissues to follow!

Oliver Nelson Full Nelson/Sound Pieces would have been cool. The 70s Marion Browns? A couple of the later Keith Jarretts? Sam Rivers? Max Roach? Dewey Redman? Many missed opportunities here, seems to me.

Ah well, this obviously isn't a series that had any such intention behind it... rather just some more or less lackluster things pasted together. Let's just hope it sells well enough for more and hopefully more interesting reissues to follow!

FWIW, Full Nelson was a Verve release, which might preclude its inclusion in an impulse!-specific series.

Village is cool, but I find Wisdom less interesting. Generally I like all the Pharoah Impulse LPs.

I sort of grew to like them... they're cool and of their time, but they're (in my humble opinion) far from being major artistic statements. "Deaf Dumb Blind" is my top one, "Thembi" and "Live at the East" the runners up, and "Karma" on fourth rank.

The new reissue is good to have as it combines two of the better ones of Sanders' later Impulse albums.

Totally agree with you though, Clifford: "Village" is cool, with some really good things (the suite giving the album its name!), while "Wisdom" is a more rambling effort... I think a well-selected CD of these albums (also including "Love in Us All", which has a highlight in "To John") could result in a terrific compilation. But there's quite a lot of rambling going on... again, it's of its time and that's good, but it doesn't really hold up for repeated listening nowadays.

The Sanders. . . I like them. They're not the wildest, if that's a consolation. But if you weren't really jazzed by the others, these aren't going to make a convert out of you.

Agree, but I do like Village of the Phaorahs a lot!

edit to echo what Clifford and Ubu said.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Verve indeed. I handled a copy once (didn't buy it-- stupid) and I remember it being thick, glossy and gatefold, very Impulse!

Beautiful album! Still have the mono original with cover and liner photographs by Chuck Stewart. Oliver Nelson wrote the liner notes.

The Sanders. . . I like them. They're not the wildest, if that's a consolation. But if you weren't really jazzed by the others, these aren't going to make a convert out of you.

Agree, but I do like Village of the Phaorahs a lot!

edit to echo what Clifford and Ubu said.

Thanks for the views on the Sanders. Speaking of wishful thinking, the Gary McFarland album Point of View (sextet with Richie Kamuca and Willie Dennis amongst others) and Profiles (the big band date) don't seem to have been on CD, (I particularly like the former); Pee Wee Russell College Concert and Spirit of 76 (the Oliver Nelson date)also missing in action; and it would be great to have the Marion Brown stuff available on CD(I only know Sweet Earth Flying, but if the others are anywhere near as good then I need to hear them; they seem to be rara avis).

Thanks for the views on the Sanders. Speaking of wishful thinking, the Gary McFarland album Point of View (sextet with Richie Kamuca and Willie Dennis amongst others) and Profiles (the big band date) don't seem to have been on CD, (I particularly like the former); Pee Wee Russell College Concert and Spirit of 76 (the Oliver Nelson date)also missing in action; and it would be great to have the Marion Brown stuff available on CD(I only know Sweet Earth Flying, but if the others are anywhere near as good then I need to hear them; they seem to be rara avis).

All of the Marion Brown Impulse's are good, but all four are very different from each other. Vista is especially different, almost like a more mellow John Klemmer album of the period or something, but I really like it (actually also like that era of Klemmer, and would have liked for some of his titles to be included). Not to worry, though, the Andorrans will do this stuff right in another 10 years...

Edited by felser

Point Of View (which is great) was on CD in Japan.

Don't know if it's still available.

It's actually called POINT OF DEPARTURE, and I'm in full agreement that having these two sessions on one disc would be terrific! :)

And FWIW, I'm pretty psyched about these:

It's actually called POINT OF DEPARTURE, and I'm in full agreement that having these two sessions on one disc would be terrific! :)

And FWIW, I'm pretty psyched about these:

The Elvin Jones Illumination is a gem, with Sonny Simmons, Prince Lasha, Charles Davis, and Tyner/Garrison. Best Charles Davis I ever heard on his two features, and Simmons is spectacular on "Nuttin' Out Jones". Szabo was fascinating to listen to from that period, sounded like no one else ever to my ears. Loved what he did in that group with Chico Hamilton and Charles Lloyd.