Miles' 60s Quintet Without Miles

Teasing the Korean

I thought I must have a bunch of albums by this group in other settings, mostly on the Blue Note label. As I look through my albums and CDs, I find albums with 2 or 3 members, but never all 4, at least until the VSOP album in the 70s. Am I missing something obvious? Was there an agreement, formal or otherwise, that the entire group wouldn't play together in other settings?

I doubt there was anything formal like that back in the 60s, but perhaps Miles asked them not to. Interesting question.

What's interesting is that all four generally either were or weren't available at the same time, because they were either recording/gigging with Miles or not, so you'd think that they may have all showed up on a session even if by chance. They were of course a solid and intuitive unit, so it's interesting that it apparently didn't happen (that I can find, at least).

At least one or two live concerts (in the mid 60's) with that Miles-less quartet, iirc.

Not sure if any were ever recorded though, anybody know?

There was this date. It was recorded but the sound is very poor.

Wayne Shorter Quartet

New York City (USA), Village Vanguard

August 1, 1965

Wayne Shorter - tenor sax

Herbie Hancock - piano

Gary Peacock - bass

Tony Williams - drums

1. The Eye of the Hurricane (10:15)

2. Just in Time (9:35)

3. Oriental Folk Song (12:02)

4. Virgo (7:09)

5. Fran-Dance (6:06)

Some of Wayne's recordings come close but his penchant for using other drummers rather than Tony Williams creates the biggest disconnect. But not for Elvin Jones, "Speak No Evil" is the Miles group with Freddie Hubbard on trumpet. "Adam's Apple" has Herbie but also Reggie Workman and Joe Chambers. "The Collector" aka "Etcetera" has Herbie with Chambers and Cecil McBee.

Williams' "Spring" comes at it from another angle, with Wayne and Herbie but also Peacock and Sam Rivers.

For what it's worth, I just realized that "Spring" was recorded only 11 days later than the Shorter bootleg with Hancock, Peacock and Williams

Edited by Mark Stryker

Am I missing something obvious?

Maiden Voyage, if you want to allow for George Coleman instead of Wayne.

Has Herbie (or George) ever addressed how or why Coleman ended up on "Maiden Voyage"? Not that he doesn't sound great, especially on the title track, where his melodies and use of 4ths digs into the meat of the tune: (transcription here: http://stevekhan.com/coleman1.htm). But in so many ways it seems more logical for Wayne or Joe Henderson to have been on this record given the date of May 1965 and the nature of the material. Maybe it was a timing/schedule issue. Maybe Herbie really wanted George and thought he would be perfect for the material or context. I wouldn't necessarily argue with the results, but I do sometimes wonder what one of those other guys might have sounded like here.

Just wondering.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Bobby Timmons' THE SOUL MAN (reissued as one half of WORKIN' OUT back in Fantasy's glory days), while it only features Shorter and Carter, does have something of the feel of the Miles quintet sessions from this era (January 1966), and, to my ears, more so than Shorter or Hancock's BNs (with the possible exception of Wayne's ET CETERA). The Timmons session features 3 Carter compositions as well as the first recording of Shorter's "Tom Thumb". And on drums is Jimmy Cobb, which lends the affair a whole 'nother Miles connotation as well.

f65437vhg2o.jpg

Postscript: according to this Wayne discography, one tune from this excellent session remains unissued...

Wayne Shorter (ts) Bobby Timmons (p) Ron Carter (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, January 20, 1966

Little Waltz Prestige PR 7465

Einbahntrasse (One Way Street) -

Damn If I Know -

Cut Me Loose Charlie -

Tom Thumb -

Tenaj -

Remembrance unissued

Edited by Joe

Has Herbie (or George) ever addressed how or why Coleman ended up on "Maiden Voyage"? Not that he doesn't sound great, especially on the title track ... but in so many ways it seems more logical for Wayne or Joe Henderson to have been on this record given the date of May 1965 and the nature of the material.

Just wondering.

I've wondered that too. Wayne, to my ears, would especially fit the bill. I can't "hear" Joe on that record, but ...

I've also wondered about the relative tension between George Coleman and Tony Williams. Wasn't Williams indirectly (or directly) responsible for Coleman's departure from Miles' band?

Bobby Timmons' THE SOUL MAN (reissued as one half of WORKIN' OUT back in Fantasy's glory days), while it only features Shorter and Carter, does have something of the feel of the Miles quintet sessions from this era (January 1966), and, to my ears, more so than Shorter or Hancock's BNs (with the possible exception of Wayne's ET CETERA). The Timmons session features 3 Carter compositions as well as the first recording of Shorter's "Tom Thumb". And on drums is Jimmy Cobb, which lends the affair a whole 'nother Miles connotation as well.

f65437vhg2o.jpg

Postscript: according to this Wayne discography, one tune from this excellent session remains unissued...

Damn If I Know -

Cut Me Loose Charlie -

Tom Thumb -

Tenaj -

Remembrance unissued

I absolutely LOVE this date (The Soul Man) -- maybe my all-time favorite "less well-known Wayne" date. I can't quite put my finger on why, but everything just seemed to work perfectly on this date. "Tom Thumb" surpasses Wayne's later BN version, and most of the rest of the tunes are compelling, with Ron Carter's "Tenaj" being especially interesting.

Stuart Kremsky (who was the archivist at the late-lamented Fantasy records) told me that 'Remembrance' is a piano solo.

Bertrand.

Interesting; thanks. Would still be very interested to hear this performance. Seems like Timmons was sort of experimenting with modal structures on this date, and I wonder is "Remembrance" is a continuation of that.

f65437vhg2o.jpg

Damn If I Know -

Cut Me Loose Charlie -

Tom Thumb -

Tenaj -

Remembrance unissued

I absolutely LOVE this date (The Soul Man) -- maybe my all-time favorite "less well-known Wayne" date. I can't quite put my finger on why, but everything just seemed to work perfectly on this date. "Tom Thumb" surpasses Wayne's later BN version, and most of the rest of the tunes are compelling, with Ron Carter's "Tenaj" being especially interesting.

The date that occupies the first half of this reissue (the original WORKIN' OUT), featuring Johnny Lytle, is no slouch either.

And a related question... Ron Carter was the only member of the quintet not to be active as a leader (at least of recording dates) during his Davis tenure. I wonder why. Was he just too busy?

I know he was very busy in the studios, which is why Gary Peacock, Richard Davis, Albert Stinson, etc. appeared with the Quintet on various tours. And although Carter is a great musician and has written some great tunes, I've never gotten the sense that he has a "vision" - a music that is distinctly his "own."

And a related question... Ron Carter was the only member of the quintet not to be active as a leader (at least of recording dates) during his Davis tenure. I wonder why. Was he just too busy?

I know he was very busy in the studios, which is why Gary Peacock, Richard Davis, Albert Stinson, etc. appeared with the Quintet on various tours. And although Carter is a great musician and has written some great tunes, I've never gotten the sense that he has a "vision" - a music that is distinctly his "own."

Disagree. Carter's piccolo bass group in the '70s pursued a distinct sound ideal and his more recent trios with guitar and piano go for a kind of immaculately tailored refinement of the mainstream. I'm leaving aside value judgments on quality/profundity of the results and simply addressing the notion of vision as a bandleader. It is true that Carter's own bands have been about things that are very different than his most innovative and influential work he did with Miles and others.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Disagree. Carter's piccolo bass group in the '70s pursued a distinct sound ideal and his more recent trios with guitar and piano go for a kind of immaculately tailored refinement of the mainstream. I'm leaving aside value judgments on quality/profundity of the results and simply addressing the notion of vision as a bandleader. It is true that Carter's own bands have been about things that are very different than his most innovative and influential work he did with Miles and others.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Carter may have still been "evolving" as a player / musical thinker during his time with Miles, but I would argue that Herbie, Wayne and Tony were as well. And I am basing some of my wondering on Carter's significant contributions as a composer on E.S.P.... though, again, he, IIRC, he did not contribute anything to Miles' "book" after that album. Which prompts further wondering, though I should probably just trust my ears on Miles' music pre- and post- Plugged Nickel.