The Complete Felsted Mainstream Collection

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we pay full price+ when Mosaic do needle drops, so I guess we won't object to paying a price which more properly reflects the costs...

That's kind of unfair. If and when Mosaic uses needle drops, they are very up front about it and do so only after they've looked at all available source material and determined that the ND is the best possible representation of a piece of music. Further, the percentage of ND's they resort to is miniscule in comparison to the totality of what they're reproducing.

Well, we pay full price+ when Mosaic do needle drops, so I guess we won't object to paying a price which more properly reflects the costs...

That's kind of unfair. If and when Mosaic uses needle drops, they are very up front about it and do so only after they've looked at all available source material and determined that the ND is the best possible representation of a piece of music. Further, the percentage of ND's they resort to is miniscule in comparison to the totality of what they're reproducing.

I agree with Dave, that's not fair. Needle drops are Mosaic's last resort and are done in very few cases.

Edited by J.A.W.

I agree with Dave, that's not fair. Needle drops are Mosaic's last resort and are done in very few cases.

Associating Mosaic with the Andorrans is "kind of unfair"? Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus God in Heaven, that's the most disgusting comparison I've ever heard of on this board.

All I did was suggest that Mosaic should charge less when they do needle drops. It can be done.

What the hell is a needle drop anyway...???

And without hijacking my own thread... to get back to the music... I gather this is good stuff???

A needle drop is a cd that uses vinyl for a source rather than the original master tapes. Usually happens when the tapes are lost or unavailable. Costs are lower and most production work is already done.

The Felsted material is very good stuff. Straight ahead swingin' mainstream jazz. I have about 5 or 6 of the lps and I will get this to complete the set.

Thank you ... that was very helpful. I managed to find a couple of the individual albums on Amazon. I liked what I heard so at that price I snagged it. Kinda hard to say no for 5-6 hours of music @ $35.

What the hell is a needle drop anyway...???

And without hijacking my own thread... to get back to the music... I gather this is good stuff???

A needle drop is a cd that uses vinyl for a source rather than the original master tapes. Usually happens when the tapes are lost or unavailable. Costs are lower and most production work is already done.

The Felsted material is very good stuff. Straight ahead swingin' mainstream jazz. I have about 5 or 6 of the lps and I will get this to complete the set.

While all the Felsteds are at least interesting, IIRC the only ones that are top-notch are the Hawkins (which is sublime) and the Hines half of the one he shares with Cozy Cole, which I believe was the first recorded evidence in a good while that Hines not only remained a ferocious improviser but also might be getting more ferocious with the passage of time). Seemed to me that the roughly contemporaneous Prestige Swingville dates were a good deal more successful overall, not to mention the various John Hammond Vanguard albums of a while before (led by Vic Dickinson, Sir Charles Thompson, Jo Jones, et. al.) and the Columbia Buck Clayton jam sessions. If so, I think that's because the producers of the Felsted dates (Stanley Dance and, unless I'm mistaken, Albert McCarthy) were a shade too deferential to the sensibilities of the players involved in assembling the bands and in guiding the proceedings in the studio.

What about the Cue Porter?

Sorry -- don't have strong memories of it. I do very much like the "The Big Sound" date on Verve and the RCA Hodges-Strayhorn big band album, plus the Hodges 1956-61 small-group things that Granz recorded and that came out in a Mosaic box.

The The Big Sound date is included in the Hodges 1956-1961 Mosaic set.

Edited by J.A.W.

Sorry -- don't have strong memories of it. I do very much like the "The Big Sound" date on Verve and the RCA Hodges-Strayhorn big band album, plus the Hodges 1956-61 small-group things that Granz recorded and that came out in a Mosaic box.

Talk about failing memory -- I bought "The Big Sound" separately a good many years after I bought the Mosaic set. :blink:

Talk about failing memory -- I bought "The Big Sound" separately a good many years after I bought the Mosaic set. :blink:

From 'The Big Sound' only the second session of September 3, 1957 is on the Mosaic Set. The sessions of June 26, 1957 and the first session of September 3 1957 are big band recordings and thus not included on this small groups set. So you were right to buy the Fresh Sound.

Edited by Stompy Jones