Fruscella-Moore Fruscella: The unissued Atlantic sessions

philtenb

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy today and it is being spinned several times...

this was previously listed as a Brew Moore date with Fruscella playing on several tracks. Fruscella is in fact soloing on all of them.

Beautifully relaxed playing with a number of tunes that are variations on the 'Blue Lester' theme...

Sound is very decent but rather flat, in typical Atlantic audio fashion.

No audio credits and a couple of erroneous photo credits. Liner notes by Jordi Pujol who does not indicate how he got hold of the copy.

Main thing is that the session is available now and we can enjoy it :tup

Ordered mine directly from Fresh Sound on Sunday, Paypal'd at the same time, got a shipping notice from them by mail yesterday (Monday) and UPS tried to deliver today (but nobody home so will receive it delivered to my office address tomorrow - Wednesday).

Can't complain about speediness of shipping and am looking forward to giving this one (and the others) a listen.

Indeed - same here too. In fact, they e-mailed me on Monday, advising me of delivery on Tuesday, and if it hadn't been for my absence I would have received it that day.

Am just spinning the Fru'n'Brew disc. Very, very nice, and worth the wait. I wonder at what stage plans for releasing this session were abandoned. The titles of the tunes read very much like (non-definite) working titles, but the music has a fascinating after-hours club atmosphere about it that needs no further processing IMO.

this was previously listed as a Brew Moore date with Fruscella playing on several tracks. Fruscella is in fact soloing on all of them.

Guy,

Where was this previously listed as a Brew Moore date?

In the Walter Bruyninckx Discography it is listed under Moore's name, other personnel unidentified, with the tracks that Michael Fitzgerald has.

Guy,

Where was this previously listed as a Brew Moore date?

In the Walter Bruyninckx Discography it is listed under Moore's name, other personnel unidentified, with the tracks that Michael Fitzgerald has.

Actually saw that in the book edition of Tom Lord's Discography (under Brew Moore).

I find the listings in the Bruyninck books too complicated for my aging brain :mellow: and did not check there...

listening now -

1) nice session but not quite tip top Moore. Even Fruscella, who generally is fine, has a few hesitant moments. But let me say something important, which is that Bill Triglia, who was a friend of mine, is one of the best pianists of that era. Listen to his work on this.

2) Interesting quotes from two musicians I knew in the 1970s, both with whom I was speaking about Fruscella, though at separate times:

"Tony was playing that way BEORE Miles, and he also had it together before Miles." - Bill Triglia (see above)

"I knew Fruscella! He was doing that Miles thing BEFORE Miles was doing it." - Sir John Godfrey (drummer)

this is highly recommended; the musicians sound a little off balance, maybe tired or under-rehearsed (or stoned?); though even Triglia sounds a little hesitant at times and he was straight as an arrow; whatever the cause, this is very precious stuff. I love the '50s in jazz.

Edited by AllenLowe