Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to import the discs into iTunes, all I get for song titles are "Track 1," "Track 2," etc.

Just curious — are you importing into iTunes to mostly play the set on your iPod? I've imported some Mosaics (the Ellington Small Groups for example) to make my own comps — e.g. the small groups sans vocals. I've made some fairly interesting (well, to me) condensed sets this way. Also helps with getting a handle on larger box sets.

My Hawkins set is supposed to arrive June 5th. 455.gif

When I went to import the discs into iTunes, all I get for song titles are "Track 1," "Track 2," etc.

Just curious — are you importing into iTunes to mostly play the set on your iPod? I've imported some Mosaics (the Ellington Small Groups for example) to make my own comps — e.g. the small groups sans vocals. I've made some fairly interesting (well, to me) condensed sets this way. Also helps with getting a handle on larger box sets.

My Hawkins set is supposed to arrive June 5th. 455.gif

To play on my iPods and on my computer (through iTunes). I rarely listen to music on a traditional stereo anymore.

Just make sure you spell everything correctly when you submit the track names for the rest of us ;)

Do you know how to do this? There's a menu option in iTunes, "Submit CD Track Names...", but it's not clear to me how that actually works.

Do you know how to do this? There's a menu option in iTunes, "Submit CD Track Names...", but it's not clear to me how that actually works.

Yes, that's it. Once you have entered in all the info (name, artist, year, album...) you click on that and it means the rest of us don't have to put it in manually.

And don't forget the cover art.... :)

iTunes retrieves cover art only from the iTunes store. Since Mosaic doesn't sell downloads, you're out of luck with that one.

You can add your own cover art in iTunes, either from your own scans or from image files obtained from elsewhere on the net. I generally check Amazon first, but saving the full-sized image files there isn't as straightforward as it is on other sites and typically involves viewing the page source of the pop-up window containing the image and searching for all files ending in .jpg until you find the right one.

This was just the first link I ran across when googling "adding cover art to iTunes". There are lots of others.

Adding album cover art or images in iTunes

#448 is in my hands!!! I worked from home today, so I could listen to it right when the UPS guy dropped it off. Of course I had to post on the forum first!

The booklet looks great!

I will post a short review sometime this weekend.

I haven't been this excited for a Mosaic set for sometime.

:g:tup:w

And don't forget the cover art.... :)

iTunes retrieves cover art only from the iTunes store. Since Mosaic doesn't sell downloads, you're out of luck with that one.

You can add your own cover art in iTunes, either from your own scans or from image files obtained from elsewhere on the net. I generally check Amazon first, but saving the full-sized image files there isn't as straightforward as it is on other sites and typically involves viewing the page source of the pop-up window containing the image and searching for all files ending in .jpg until you find the right one.

This was just the first link I ran across when googling "adding cover art to iTunes". There are lots of others.

Adding album cover art or images in iTunes

Oh yeah, I knew all that. My comment was in the context of uploading all song titles to CDDB, so that iTunes will automatically retrieve them while ripping the disc. iTunes will also retrieve the cover art if it's carried in the iTunes store. In this case, nope. I'm going to use a scan of one of the CD booklets, unless I find it first using Google Images.

#448 is in my hands!!! I worked from home today, so I could listen to it right when the UPS guy dropped it off. Of course I had to post on the forum first!

The booklet looks great!

I will post a short review sometime this weekend.

I haven't been this excited for a Mosaic set for sometime.

:g:tup:w

We can tell! But I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm for great jazz. :) Out of reach for me now, but maybe someday...look forward to your review.

I was home alone last night, so I spun the first two discs. Can't explain why in technical terms, but it was sheer pleasure -- the vitality of the music just jumped out. It might be my antediluvian mindset but I can fully appreciate how exciting these sides must have been at the time.

The remastering is among the best I've heard on a Mosaic set -- inevitable crackles aside it sounds as fresh as paint, very immediate and involving. The Henderson sides are especially strong; looking forward even more to the mooted Mosaic of that band. I can't remember when I have enjoyed any part of a new boxed set more, and I even warmed up by playing the last disc of the Louis Armstrong Complete Masters set, which I have just been finishing.

What type of whisky would go well with this set? Or should a guy opt for a martini instead?

I ended up drinking a Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Rioja we happened to have. Everyday stuff, but it worked.

The Henderson sides are especially strong; looking forward even more to the mooted Mosaic of that band.

Th planned Henderson set was abandoned in favour of the Hawkins. Anyway, a Henderson set would duplicate numerous tracks on the Hawkins and that's against Mosaic policy of not reissuing material that they've issued before.

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, there's material that Mosaic has issued on different sets, for example Blue Note sides that appeared in both Hodes and Bechet sets. I think the real rule is that they won't re-release a set they've already made and "sold out".

And in fact Hampton-led material is in both this set and the Hampton set.

Edited by jazzbo

Well, there's material that Mosaic has issued on different sets, for example Blue Note sides that appeared in both Hodes and Bechet sets. I think the real rule is that they won't re-release a set they've already made and "sold out".

That may be so, but fact is that they abandoned a Henderson set when they decided to go ahead with the Hawkins box. I have no idea whether they will reconsider or not, but if they do, it won't be any time soon.

That may be so, but fact is that they abandoned a Henderson set when they decided to go ahead with the Hawkins box. I have no idea whether they will reconsider or not, but if they do, it won't be any time soon.

The Hampton-led material may also be in the Chu Berry set...not sure, don't have the info at hand. I know they've duplicated some tracks in the past.

Well, I have asked Scott about a Henderson set. I'll report back when I hear from him. I checked and they have indeed duplicated material before so to speak, so that policy (which I was told did exist) seems to be flexible.

Edited by J.A.W.