Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

Well, it's on my list but I definitely make fewer impulse purchases than I used to. Too many other priorities and trying to avoid too much debt (and I'm in better shape than many). I guess that's part of what is troubling the music biz.

(Now if I could sell off my old CDs easily, then it might be a different story ;) , but it's like pulling teeth some times.)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my copy of this set this afternoon and flipping through the booklet to look at the pictures I noticed pictures being repeated. Turns out my copy of the booklet is missing pages 7 to 12 and 37 to 42. In their place I got duplicates of pages 19 to 24 and 25 to 30. Anyone else have this problem?

Here's hoping that this one gets the loving pimping in the jazz press that the Prez set did and that it moves with somewhat the same speed.

Acting as devil's advocate: It's too expensive. It's beyond the 100$ threshold. I know Mosaic keeps telling that sets sized less than 7CDs aren't feasible... but sets in the 4-5CD range are cheap enough to be bought on impulse, whilst a 7CD box is just too much for that.

There's various sides to every apect, I'm sure.

I'll definitely want the Hawkins box, but there's plenty of other sets from the past three or four years I still don't have.

I received my copy of this set this afternoon and flipping through the booklet to look at the pictures I noticed pictures being repeated. Turns out my copy of the booklet is missing pages 7 to 12 and 37 to 42. In their place I got duplicates of pages 19 to 24 and 25 to 30. Anyone else have this problem?

WHOAH, that's one big booklet!

When was the last time Mosaic included such a thick booklet?

(Too bad about the error, though!)

Just had #0533 arrive...seems like a low # considering that pre-orders were being taken for, what, 9 months in advance and I didn't order until after the set was officially announced as being officially ready to ship.

This one needs to sell!

I pre-ordered it last fall and ended up with #551. Just feeding the numerical conspiracy interests. ;)

*edit - My booklet is fine.

Edited by Quincy

It's a REALLY good booklet. The printing seems much glossier than say the Oliver Nelson booklet. Almost seems like it's printed on glossy photo paper.

Glossiness has nothing to do with quality. Mosaic booklets are now printed on much cheaper stock than those of old. If they were still using high quality paper, I would seriously have to question Cuscuna's business sense in this day and age.

I ordered it way in advance too and got 770. I actually think getting close to 1000 copies before the damn thing came out is pretty good... :) (Fortunately my book is fine also.)

Just had #0533 arrive...seems like a low # considering that pre-orders were being taken for, what, 9 months in advance and I didn't order until after the set was officially announced as being officially ready to ship.

This one needs to sell!

I pre-ordered it last fall and ended up with #551. Just feeding the numerical conspiracy interests. ;)

*edit - My booklet is fine.

It's a REALLY good booklet. The printing seems much glossier than say the Oliver Nelson booklet. Almost seems like it's printed on glossy photo paper.

Glossiness has nothing to do with quality. Mosaic booklets are now printed on much cheaper stock than those of old. If they were still using high quality paper, I would seriously have to question Cuscuna's business sense in this day and age.

And the fact that some booklets have thicker, heavier paper? Nothing to do with quality? (I'm not sure which ones have that, ... but the European Quincy is one, I think.)

And the fact that some booklets have thicker, heavier paper? Nothing to do with quality? (I'm not sure which ones have that, ... but the European Quincy is one, I think.)

Thicker and heavier does not always equate to more expensive, my friend. Trust me, the quality is lower now. Just because it has to be.

I think it's interesting to start at the beginning and follow through to the end sequentially. There's a whole lot of jazz development going on.

That's what I'm going to do, starting, probably, this morning.

I thought about that ... sounds like a pretty good plan.

Set 430 BTW, in case anyone is logging all this ...

Maybe halfway through the first disc, and already I'm getting shivers realizing just how truly badass Hawk was from jump. Can't help but hear this earliest stuff in the context of what was to come, even/especially the boldly defiant Last Gasps, and...wow.

Coleman Hawkins was a full-growed man from Day One.

Set 430 BTW, in case anyone is logging all this ...

I don't know what to make of the numbering, and surely this is an old topic here. I know I ordered this box before another Organissimo member, yet his copy has a lower number.

The sound quality is fine, to my ears. I've never heard a better version of the Mound City Blue Blowers session.

Every time I listen to Fletcher Henderson charts, it amazes me that these guys played all these charts all night long. That's a lot of playing for just one chart, never mind all night, all week!

And Hawk...Jesus, I'm just finishing Disc Three, and LORD have mercy, so much tenor, so much music...and it's only 1933...35 more years of playing lie ahead, and when you hear the stories of how when the work really slowed down he chose to more or less drink/starve himself to death...it makes sense. Not to be too dramatic about it, but guys like this were true warriors. No battles to fight, no life to live.

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

I'm familiar with a good chunk of the 1939 and beyond period, not so much the earlier stuff...and what I do have has been collated as non-Hawk-centric sets, so...like I said, it's the cumulative effect that is really strong for me.

Probably done for today, and might not have listening time tomorrow, plumbers are coming for a bit of renno work (yeah, "renno", too damn cutesy-clever for me, but that's all anybody says anymore, damn them) and I can't relax with workers in the house, just because. But I'm ready to get to 1940 and beyond, becuase I know what's there, jsut haven't heard it all at once like this.

People need to buy this set. It's about as serious a document of about as serious a musician as you can get.

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

You should listen to the stuff he did in Europe during the five year gap. The lack of great sidemen didn't hold him back.