Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

You should listen to the stuff he did in Europe during the five year gap.

Agreed, and perhaps best experienced on this disc.

I made it through 2.5 discs this morning. There's a lot to digest (in a good way) here. At least one Thanksgiving dinner per track.

One weird thing in my first go-through: I kept focusing on the tuba player (when there is one). The liner notes keep reminding the listener of a tuba player's need for breath. And, I have to say, there is some fine tuba playing therein.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plumbers had to reschedule, they got called to a gas leak (hopefully nowhere near me!), so I got the day to finish the set. First time I've ever been thankful for a gas leak!

Starting w/Disc 6, and it's funny...there's all these big band cuts starting off, and they're all good, but after the way Disc 5 ended with some leanish smaller group things, the big bands now sounds a little bloaty, a little too predictable, irrelevant even. Hawk plays great, of course, but once again, the all-at-onceness of this set really throws a bright light on why the big-band format was beginning to feel stifling to some players. I mean, no amount of written riffing or other background is going to sound as fresh and plugged in as Coleman Hawkins digging in and letting loose, Benny Carter was a great writer, but his writing did not need Coleman Hawkins' solo skills, and vice-versa. Although getting both in the same place is a treat, neither one needs the other in order to be successful. The music was evolving not just personalities, but skill sets to match. In the Henderson band, the soloists and the charts were all of the same piece. Now, things were changing.

So we're left with two viable evolutionary options going forth - big bands turn more and more into a writer's medium and prime soloists venture more and more into the small group format. And as it turned out, economic forces worked to the advantage of both of these paths. In the years to come, a Carter-writing/Hawkins-soloing evet such as Further Definitions would be a great (truly great) event, but it had to get away from here before it could get to there.

People need to buy this set, for real. So much music, so much to think about as it goes along.

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

:rolleyes: jsngry is discovering coleman hawkins - and the enthusiasm is appropriated! :tup

keep boppin´

marcel

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

:rolleyes: jsngry is discovering coleman hawkins - and the enthusiasm is appropriated! :tup

keep boppin´

marcel

"Discovering" Hawk? Hardly. Getting a deeper appreciation of the earlier Hawk, yes. Feeling something powerful by the focused intensity that the presentation allows, definitely. But discovering Coleman Hawkins? Sorry, that got underway 40 something years ago.

So...no. But do keep boppin'!

Just finished the set. Stunning.

I've been a customer since the beginning, and I say this with full consideration - his may be the set that meets the Mosaic "mission" more completely than any other. And that's saying a lot. But...I think so.

Loren Schoenberg points out that the solo Hawkins took in the Metronone All Stars version of One O'Clock Jump became Feedin' the Bean a bit later when Hawkins recorded with the Basie band and for which Basie gets credited as composer. But I first heard it on The Hawk in Hi-Fi where it's called The Bean Stalks Again with Hawkins listed as composer.

The Classics Hawkins series contains 44 tracks from the European stay and Neatwork issued 21 alternates.

The Affinity Box set, Coleman Hawkins The Complete Recordings 1929-1941 is far from complete (eg there's nothing from the Fletcher Henderson band!) but it has 50 European recordings and 23 alternates.

The Classics Hawkins series contains 44 tracks from the European stay and Neatwork issued 21 alternates.

The Affinity Box set, Coleman Hawkins The Complete Recordings 1929-1941 is far from complete (eg there's nothing from the Fletcher Henderson band!) but it has 50 European recordings and 23 alternates.

The 2006 Ted Kendall remastered JSP 4CD box (The essential sides remastered 1929-1939) has 47 UK/Euro titles (4 are from a Benny Carter led session) but no alts

No. 959 came in this week! Glad to see that quite a few of the Fletcher Henderson titles do not match my Hendersons from Joe Bussard 78s. Somebody said sound reduction can be overdone, which is true, but my Joe B stuff is pretty mossy at times. I appreciate the remastering on the Henderson tunes I have heard before.

No. 959 came in this week! Glad to see that quite a few of the Fletcher Henderson titles do not match my Hendersons from Joe Bussard 78s. Somebody said sound reduction can be overdone, which is true, but my Joe B stuff is pretty mossy at times. I appreciate the remastering on the Henderson tunes I have heard before.

I take it you are referring to noise reduction on your Hendersons from Joe Bussard 78s.

• 3 weeks later...