Paul Motian RIP

Trumpet Guy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrific drummer, sometimes ** HIGHLY ** questionable bandleader.

Granted, dude has to work but how you go from Charles Brackeen and David Izenzon to...

...effin' Lovano & Frisell (& speaking of Monk, that group's Monk album is TERRIBLE-- Paul included--

I dunno.

Besides the Brackeen sides, I'll put on some Bley or Liberation Music Orchectra to remember.

i think you should stay behind the barn with your negativity in a thread like this!

Edited by ValerieB

Drat! RIP indeed.

All I really know of his playing is the work he did with Bill Evans, but even then that would be enough for me to miss him. I especially love his playing on MOON BEAMS and HOW MY HEART SINGS, where it seems like he's doing something more sublime than just playing or accompanying.

I am very sorry to hear that—he was such a nice guy and an exceptional percussionist. A few years ago, he dropped by my apartment (he lived up the street) and left me a first draft of an autobiography. It needed work, but it had the elements of an absorbing story. I wonder if he did more with it. Anyone know?

Any chance you would write a bio, Chris?