A new live jazz label is born: "Jazzhaus"

EKE BBB

The new label jazzhausLast Friday Arthaus Musik GmbH and SWR Media Services GmbH presented the new Label jazzhaus at the Ellington Hotel Berlin. It was founded to publish live concerts from jazz legends like Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane or Miles Davis on CD, DVD and vinyl as well as on audio/video-on-demand download. The archive of Südwestrundfunk contains more than 3.000 hours footage of all major modern jazz artists. It’s the biggest collection of unpublished live jazz recordings in the world from 1949 until today.

The first CDs will be available next week (November 14th):

Legends Live

Gerry Mulligan (live at Liederhalle Stuttgart, 1977)

Art Blakey (live at Sängerhalle Untertürkheim, 1978)

Cannonball Adderley (live at Liederhalle Stuttgart, 1969)

Bigbands Live

Duke Ellington Orchestra (live at Liederhalle Stuttgart, 1967)

Benny Goodman Orchestra feat. Anita O’Day (live at Stadthalle Freiburg, 1959)

Jazzhaus link

Thank you for letting us know. I will be looking forward to getting some of their releases, as long as they are conveniently available from the usual/major retailers. I agree with Dan, though: not well done at all on the horrible covers and the lack of information on sidemen on the website.

Although I have no insider information, we can most surely state with certainty that they're doing it the right way, this is, paying to the rightholders... or have you ever seen an Andorran emporium publicly presenting a new label in a press release?

So, let's not bother about minimum details (covers, info from the website!!!) and let's congratulate we're getting more Ellington, more Goodman, more Adderley... live material!

:smirk:

:tup

Ah well, depending on your point of origin, it's same music from different source :w

Either way, it does look good!

Problem is that some original tapes were deleted/re-used, whatever... it would have been too great to hear the complete Basie & Ella live shows, for instance! But there's still lots of material to be found there, that's for sure!

• 9 months later...

New releases:

Dizzy Gillespie Quintet (Live at Liederhalle Stuttgart, 17.11.1961 – including Bonustracks from Frankfurt, 27.11.1961) Available on CD and Vinyl!

133377.jpg

Albert Mangelsdorff Quintet (Live at Audimax Freiburg, 22.06.1964 – including Bonustracks from Münchner Jazztage 1965) Available on CD!

133379.jpg

Lost Tapes – a new series with extraordinary often forgotten studio recordings from Baden Baden and Mainz is launched. Look forward to the Master of Cool Jazz:

Zoot Sims (Live at Baden-Baden, 23.06.1958) Available on CD and Vinyl!

133378.jpg

News

Pulled the trigger on the Diz and Zoot CDs (would have loved the vinyl but THREE times the CD price - well, hey ..)

Thanks for highlighting these items, EKE BBB ! :tup

Now I'd really wish they'd dig a bit beyond the all-time greatest names and come up with a few of their gems that they have on comparatively underrecorded (but nevertheless classy and deserving) jazz acts from that era, particularly European ones. They are BOUND to have tons of tapes on file there ...

where did you order? I can't find any online store?

Pulled the trigger on the Diz and Zoot CDs (would have loved the vinyl but THREE times the CD price - well, hey ..)

Now I'd really wish they'd dig a bit beyond the all-time greatest names and come up with a few of their gems that they have on comparatively underrecorded (but nevertheless classy and deserving) jazz acts from that era, particularly European ones. They are BOUND to have tons of tapes on file there ...

where did you order? I can't find any online store?

I ordered via amazon.de.

The obvious choice as I live in Germany, particularly since the price seems right.

Haven't checked for any other online sources yet.

• 4 weeks later...

JuttaHipp_LP_Cover_Front.jpg

Today – Presentation of a new LP „Jutta Hipp“ at the Haus der Berliner Festspiele

On the occasion of the memorial concert for the german pianist Jutta Hipp at the Berlin Jazzfestival on 01 November jazzhaus published a new LP with previously unknown live and studio recordings. The LP will be presented before the opening concert in the foyer at the Haus der Berliner Festpiele.

We are looking forward to welcome you.

Date: November 01, 2012 at 7pm

Address: Foyer at the Haus der Berliner Festspiele / Schaperstraße 24 / 10719 Berlin

Guests: Ulli Pfau – Label Producer jazzhaus / Katja von Schuttenbach – Biographer Jutta Hipp

The LP contains recordings of the years 1952-1955.

SWF Jazztime Koblenz (November 30, 1952)

Hans Koller Quartett: Jutta Hipp (p), Hans Koller (ts), Franz “Shorty” Roeder (b), Karl Sanner (dr)

Studio Recording SWF Baden-Baden (June 21, 1953)

Hans Koller Quintett: Jutta Hipp (p), Hans Koller (ts), Franz “Shorty” Roeder (b), Albert Mangelsdorff (tb), Rudi Sehring (dr)

Studio Recording Villa Berg, SDR Stuttgart (Juni 28, 1955)

Jutta Hipp Quintett: Jutta Hipp (p), Karl Sanner (dr), Albert Mangelsdorff (tb), Joki Freund (ts), Attila Zoller (g), Harry Schell (b)

source:

http://arthaus-musik.com/wp-index.php/2012/11/01/presentation-of-a-new-lp-%E2%80%9Ejutta-hipp%E2%80%9C-at-the-haus-der-berliner-festspiele/

Edited by king ubu