Google Ads

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yesterday, the first day these ads ran, we made $6.81. If that trend continues, we should make enough per month through ads to pay for the site. Let's see how it goes in January. Thanks for all your understanding.

Are you paid based upon someone clicking on the ads? If so I wonder which ad(s) were clicked on. The current one at the bottom of my screen is for single men. :shrug[1]: This board is comprised of mostly men and I can't see that one being clicked on. The second one is for organ transplant rejection. A new wonder drug to help with rejection.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Are you paid based upon someone clicking on the ads? If so I wonder which ad(s) were clicked on. The current one at the bottom of my screen is for single men. :shrug[1]: This board is comprised of mostly men and I can't see that one being clicked on.

Straight no chaser?

I got a new computer, went right to organissimo forums, and was presented with the dating ads. Zero history. Weird.

Not sure exactly what you're saying, but I believe the ads are targeted on a combination of your tracking cookie and the context of the page you're on, so if you have a new computer you'd have no history.

I got a new computer, went right to organissimo forums, and was presented with the dating ads. Zero history. Weird.

Not sure exactly what you're saying, but I believe the ads are targeted on a combination of your tracking cookie and the context of the page you're on, so if you have a new computer you'd have no history.

Right. The ad I just saw before I clicked the "reply" button was for video editing software (which I just posted about on Facebook) and now the ad is one from Adobe for Creative Suite.

Right. The ad I just saw before I clicked the "reply" button was for video editing software (which I just posted about on Facebook) and now the ad is one from Adobe for Creative Suite.

Nice to know they don't always get it right. My current ad invites me to join Royal Marines Commandos. At the age of 72!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Young Chinese girls, ONLINE now!!!!

Really?

I'm not sure if that reflects poorly on me or on this board.

Either way, all of this crap has been Ad Blocked. Permanently.

I realize the economic realities of keeping this board up and running are real. I've been a financial supporter of the board in the past, and I probably should have donated more.

One (of many) reasons why this place is so cool is that it was always an oasis from all the other horseshit sites out there (AAJ, for example) where ads and paid content compete (sometimes rather transparently) against normal conversation.

Forgive the rant. I realize the ads are necessary, I just wish we could come up with a different model.

Is it possible to not serve up ads to users that have contributed financially? Just asking.

Yes, I have, too. And Ad Block works wonderfully on most sites, but even that is being circumvented in various ways.

As I already said, it just that this place has always been an oasis from all of that nonsense.

It really saddens me to have set up AdBlock for this site. This was the one place where I've never had to worry about that.

Young Chinese girls, ONLINE now!!!!

Really?

I'm not sure if that reflects poorly on me or on this board.

If you guys see anything that seems completely ridiculous or inappropriate, let me know because I can block specific ads.

Would there be any objections to blocking the dating sites? At least the ones that appeal to "specific appetites" rather than the general urge for companionship?

Unless he is using Chrome and is logged in to his Google account (and has searched dating sites before while logged in to Google).