Pacific Jazz Titles

bertrand

I am eyeing the following:

1) Curtis Amy/Frank Butler: Groovin' Blue.

Bobby Hutcherson is on this. Any reason not to get it? Does Bobby get ample solo space?

2) Earl Anderza: Outa Sight.

I know about the prison term for some ugly crime, and I know about the two tracks with harpsichord, but the two Anderza tracks on the Dupree Bolton Uptown CD are so good that I am very tempted by this. Any reason not to get it?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I am eyeing the following:

Bobby Hutcherson is on this. Any reason not to get it? Does Bobby get ample solo space?

2) Earl Anderza: Outa Sight.

I know about the prison term for some ugly crime, and I know about the two tracks with harpsichord, but the two Anderza tracks on the Dupree Bolton Uptown CD are so good that I am very tempted by this. Any reason not to get it?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

There's certainly no reason not to get the Curtis Amy record but I don't know if I'd describe Booby's solo space as "ample" as opposed to "typical" for a sideman. If you like Amy you ought to enjoy it but if you're looking for a lot of Hutcherson you'll probably be disappointed.

Edited by Dan Gould

For me, the BIG draw on this Amy date is Carmell Jones. Bobby gets about average space (and no more), but Carmell is playing as great as ever, IIRC -- and the date is second only to Katanga!, as far as Amy dates go in my book. A real winner, and a highlight of the Amy Select.

The Anderza is a good one too, that I probably don't play enough.

Edited by Rooster_Ties