RIP Davy Jones

Hardbopjazz

Sad indeed. Aside from I'm A Believer and Last Train To Clarksville, I think I enjoyed the Monkees' television show and its Beatles-inspired frenzy more than their music. It's amusing to remember that it was due to the popularity of this singer that the another David Jones changed his last name to "Bowie". ^_^

Never in a million years would've thought Davy would be the first to go. I got to meet him a few years ago. He was in town for a local concert and made a scheduled appearance at the local record store. I was way at the end of the line, which continued to grow after I got there. Some 45 minutes later and it's my turn, and he is as gracious and energetic as if I was the first in line. Shook my hand, autographed my HEAD dvd, and let me take a picture with him. A happy memory for a sad day.

RIP Davy

I was saddened to hear the news. I would have been part of their target audience and remember enjoying their show back in the day. I'll echo GA Russell's sentiments, it makes me feel old. I wouldn't be considered Jones' peer age-wise, (I'm younger) but it really hits you when people you've grown up with and those who are within 10-15 years of your age start passing away.

It's scary when you go to the hospital with chess pains and the doctors tell you there's nothing wrong. This is what was said on the nightly news. Apparently Davy Jones went to the ER with chess pains and he was told there's nothing wrong. Those ER doctors will have a lot of reporters asking "wtf."

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Jones reportedly passed away in his parked car after visiting his horses at a ranch near his oceanside home in Indiantown, Florida. Earlier, he'd told ranch hands he was having difficulty breathing. The previous night, he had gone to a nearby hospital complaining of chest pains, according to reports.

But before Tuesday night, there were few indications, at least publicly, that Jones was anything but the overgrown moptop who put a cheerful frontman's face on repeated Monkees reunions — the last of which came to a halt last summer under still-mysterious circumstances.

article

Which goes to show that production line, corporate pop doesn't have to mean lack of imagination.

That's right, it doesn't. It shouldn't. With all the resources available, there's really no excuse other than a lacking of....something. Maybe a lot of things. But there's really no excuse, none at all.

I have watched that movie thousands of times and only now realizing that when the camera is on Frank (from Davy's back) Davy's leaning against the cow, but when the camera is on Davy (from Frank's back) he's about a foot or so away from the cow!

Frank was right though, the song WAS pretty white... and so was Davy... which was a VERY good thing in the end.

RIP Dancing Smoothie :(