Sonny Fortune

Eric

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortune is pretty tasty. I have the Konnex "Monk" date. It's certainly as good as the similar Blue Note cd. He's certainly an good interpreter of Monk. However I wasn't that thrilled by "From Now On". I have the Horizon's tucked away somewhere as well as his Strata East album. I have good memories of these and it's probably time they got a dust off.

Larry ----- I guess we agree on the quality of that N. Adderley group with Sonny!

Are you aware of any other recordings they made other than "On the Move?"

(I don't believe that there are any, but this is one of those instances where you *really* hope that you're wrong!!)

BTW --- there are copies of this smokin' recording on half.com. Get your hands on one --- you won't regret it!

Well, I answered the question I posed to Larry by going to AMG. (Duh!!!)

Sonny appears with Nat's group on "Blue Autumn" and "Autumn Leaves." In the case of the latter, Vincent Herring joins the group. Scott Yanow gives the session 4.5 stars, and speaks highly of Sonny's contribution to the date. Hmmmm. Teased once again..........

Ron Wynn gave both On the Move and Blue Autumn mixed reviews. I recall having mixed feelings about this guys take on things, but I'm going to spin On the Move now for a reality check. It's high time to revisit this date anyway -- if for no other reason than to enjoy Sonny Fortune!

Joe Milazzo played me some relatively newly released live Mongo thing on Columbia from the late-60s or so that was positively gonzo. Gotta get that one!

Fortune replaced Bobby Capers in Mongo's band, with Bobby Porcelli steeping in for one album in between, and he was a killer with that band. He's top on the live tracks on that CD Afro American Latin, his own tune "Philadelphia" has a stonehard back beat, and he screams on top of all others. This is a CD representative of all of the facets of Mongo's repertoire back then, and Fortune was an important member - he was the soloist on Mongo's electrifying version of "Cloud Nine" on the Stone Soul album, which was recorded a few weeks later. Soul and back beats, boleros, mambos, sacred Cuban drums - it's all on that CD.

Guest akanalog

one album with sonny fortune i like which hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet i don't think is the buster williams album "pinnacle". it was out on 32 jazz but i still see it around on occasion. it inhabits that real of being sort of pre-funky: the bass-lines are groovier, there are some voices singing along a bit and there are some electric keyboards on some tracks but the album is still jazz (perhaps besides the first track which is pretty funky and goes on too long). also as a bonus the second song contains the sample for that old rap song "the choice is yours" by black sheep.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest akanalog

not a leader date but since you seem to have an interest in spiritual slightly fusion-ey stuff, horacee arnold's "tales of the exonerated flea" has some good fortune on it.

Find the two A&M/Horizon LPs.

Those are his best albums ever, in my opinion. Awakening has the most erotic cover I have ever seen.

I saw Sonny a few years ago in a quintet with alto saxophonist Frank Morgan, a two alto group. Morgan was tasteful and appealing. Sonny blew the roof off of the hall, taking it to many levels above the rest of the performance.

Those are his best albums ever, in my opinion. Awakening has the most erotic cover I have ever seen.

I saw Sonny a few years ago in a quintet with alto saxophonist Frank Morgan, a two alto group. Morgan was tasteful and appealing. Sonny blew the roof off of the hall, taking it to many levels above the rest of the performance.

HP,

I had the exact same experience a few years ago when Sonny and Frank played here in Los Angeles (at Catalina's). Frank played well, but Sonny...! Oh man...! Sonny blew the house down! There were only about 20 of us in the house that night, and many were not exactly "appreciative" of Sonny's efforts (Catalina's has it's share of regulars who dig only those who blow in a mellow tone)... but Sonny roared off into the stratosphere all night long!

Still, that was nothing compared to some of the duets I've seen Sonny and Rashied Ali do in NYC. There was one show in Sweet Basil that literally was an out of body experience for me. The music was pure ecstasy... unbelievable!

Big Al, thanks for the link! I only have one of his Blue Notes on CD... but I'm gonna grab all three of these and support Sonny directly!

Cheers,

Shane

Are those the ones with Charles Sullivan on trumpet & Billy Hart? If so, I loved them- Sonny did some excellent work on those. I even saw that band(Hart, Sullivan, Onaje Allan Gumbs, bassist?) once and they smoked!!

A few years back, at the old Dakota, they also booked the Morgan/Fortune Quintet.

The first night I went, Morgan was a no show, so they had Sonny Fortune play that night as part of a quartet. At first I was disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing Frank Morgan again. After the first number I realized I was in for a great night!

The next night Morgan missed the first set, but was there for the 2nd set.

Is the Fortune box set on CDBaby a simple repackaging of the Blue Note material — meaning, actual Blue Note cds in a slipcase, or is it an altogether different format?

Listened to some sound samples, and while I'm not exactly keen on Fortune's Monk reworkings, I like the other material.

Just pulled 'Awakening' on A&M/Horizon out from the racks. 'Waves of Dreams' to follow when I find it. The lead-off track of 'Waves' is an absolute stormer, with ferocious work by Sonny and Charles Sullivan. If it had been on Blue Note it would now have cult status.

Great memories of seeing Sonny Fortune back in the late 80s/early 90s as part of Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine. He fitted very well indeed into that particular organisation. :tup

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...