Todays Young Sax Stars

mrjazzman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard a good young player last night - Jon Irabagon on alto saxophone with Mary Halvorson's band.

channeling Paul Desmond through some sort of time delay - wonderous stuff especially during one longish solo in the second set - no flash all substance - gorgeous tone.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Of the recomendations I've read so far, I like Patrick Cornelius, love Hailey Niswanger, Geraldine Laurent has great promise I like her(the women are really strong). But, jlhoots gets the prize for recomending Erena Terakubo. She is an absolutely amazing alto sax player born in '92 in Japan,that makes her 19 or 20. Im not going to put her on my purchase list, Im just going to start buying as soon as I finish typing this stuff. I'll start with the mp3 North Bird..........

Edited by mrjazzman

I wondered about that post/neo thing... the really interesting folks (Roberts, Laubrock, Grimal, Laurent) go beyond that.

Irabagon, btw, is also part of the uber-hip "Mostly Other People Do the Killing" (of which I got tired quickly).

Well yeah, but have you ever heard a cooler band name?

I wondered about that post/neo thing... the really interesting folks (Roberts, Laubrock, Grimal, Laurent) go beyond that.

Irabagon, btw, is also part of the uber-hip "Mostly Other People Do the Killing" (of which I got tired quickly).

Well yeah, but have you ever heard a cooler band name?

I think it may be the most obnoxious band name I've ever heard, and I play with "Smegma"!

• 1 year later...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/10/melissa-aldana-moving-between-old-and-new/?utm_content=buffer10f83&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

"Her winning performance at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts included a fluid rendition of Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Mercer’s “I Thought About You.” She also performed her own composition, “Free Fall,” with bassist Rodney Whitaker, pianist Reginald Thomas and drummer Carl Allen. First prize is a $25,000 scholarship with the Monk Institute and a recording contract with Concord Music Group.

“The thing that was apparent to us was that Melissa was a young artist, who, in addition to having embraced a great deal of tradition, has made important steps in developing her own personal sonic vocabulary,” the soprano saxophonist, Jane Ira Bloom, told Downbeat Magazine. Ms. Bloom, along with Branford Marsalis, Jimmy Heath, Wayne Shorter and Bobby Watson judged the competition. “We all sensed that from her original music and in her interpretations of traditional material,” Bloom adds."

By and large (...) a trustworthy panel.

Makes me think, though, of an anecdote Steve Lehman shared on the 5049 podcast. He was a freshman at Wesleyan and was talking to Braxton about his future plans. He said he'd like to play like Jackie McLean and cut an album with a few standards, a few free originals, etc. Braxton said "Great! Then what?"

By and large (...) a trustworthy panel.

Makes me think, though, of an anecdote Steve Lehman shared on the 5049 podcast. He was a freshman at Wesleyan and was talking to Braxton about his future plans. He said he'd like to play like Jackie McLean and cut an album with a few standards, a few free originals, etc. Braxton said "Great! Then what?"

Well, that turned out to be the problem for Christopher Hollyday, didn't it? And he had McLean DOWN.

Chris Potter, if you are not familiar, mrjazzman. Chris has some excellent albums out there like 1997's "Unspoken" with John Scofield, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette, "Lift" from 2004, "Follow the Red Line" from 2007. The latter, you may not like if you don't enjoy more modern touches from music in the past few years. Chris is excellent on "The Monterey Quartet" album, and he is now in Pat Metheny's "Unity Band", that album will release June 12.

Chris is fabulous but he sure ain't a new, young musician.

Now we're on to really old guys, it's time Eric Alexander got a mention. :smirk:

I was just thinking that. You can assign your own value to "it", but nobody does "it" better than Alexander. Was blown away when I heard him at the Philly Art Museum a few years ago, and the guy even sounded great when I heard him warming up in an empty cafeteria there. I think of him as his generation's Dexter Gordon.

Aldana's two recordings on Inner Circle are both very good IMO. Mostly interesting original music and very well executed.

She's excellent as well on bassist Ian Underwood's "Help I Lost My Body". She'll be on Simona Premazzi's forthcoming CD, The Lucid Dreamer.