New Wayne Shorter Quartet

CJ Shearn

Which are the "new" compositions? Obviously "Pegasus", Bertrand, any idea on the others? My guess is Wayne has been playing these tunes for quite sometime, its just that these are new on record. Thanks! :) Blue Note hits a new note redux is giving us something good. :rofl:

Edited by CJ Shearn

The tracks are:

1. Orbits (4:49)

2. Starry Night (8:48)

3. S. S. Golden Mean (5:17)

4. Plaza Real (6:56)

5. Myrrh (3:03)

6. Pegasus (23:06)

7. Flying Down to Rio (12:44)

8. Zero Gravity (8:13)

9. UFO (4:12)

'Orbits' is probably the new version (from Alegria). Don't think I ever heard the quartet play this without an orchestra.

Very psyched that he resurrected 'Plaza Real' - possibly my favorite Shorter piece.

'Flying Down To Rio' is something he started playing last year. It's the same piece as 'The Carioca' (also on Dizzy at Newport and Philly Joe Drums Around The World).

'Starry Night' and 'Myrrh' are titles I have heard mentioned and seen listed in reviews. I probably have heard them but don't know which is which.

'UFO' and 'S.S. Golden mean' are new titles to me - I wonder if the latter is related to 'Adventures Aboard The Golden Mean'.

He already had a piece called 'Zero Gravity' (credited to the whole band) - it was a bonus track on the Japanese pressing of Sound Barrier. That version was a variation on 'Prince Of Darkness' - I bet this one is different. The group has been using that title for a while for many of their spontaneous improvisations.

'Pegasus' is fascinating - it starts off as the intro to 'Witch Hunt', then goes elsewhere. I heard it at Carnegie Hall with the Imani Winds in December 2008.

My only quibble is this could have been two CDs - one quartet, and one with the Imani Winds. He had great arrangements of 'The Three Marias', 'Prometheus Unbound' and 'Night Dreamer' for this group. We may never get official releases of these arrangements.

Also, it seems there is still no official recording of 'Prometheus Unbound'.

But some great news indeed! It also poses a discographical question (see discography).

One last thought: he's back on Blue Note after 43 years. Now would be the prefect time to issue the 10/13/70 session, which was his previous Blue Note record. I know it's a long shot, but enough time has gone by, and what a marketing opportunity.

Bertrand.

I have "Prometheus Unbound" somewhere from a radio broadcast from the tour with Hancock Holland and Blade. Thanks as always for your thorough investigation of Wayne's music Bertrand! I think "Moto Grosso Feio" is being issued in Japan soon.

Edited by CJ Shearn

One last thought: he's back on Blue Note after 43 years. Now would be the prefect time to issue the 10/13/70 session, which was his previous Blue Note record. I know it's a long shot, but enough time has gone by, and what a marketing opportunity.

Bertrand.

Odyssey of Iska?

Bertrand.

Odyssey of Iska?

Wayne Shorter Quintet

Wayne Shorter (ts) Barbara Burton (vib, bells, per) McCoy Tyner (p) Miroslav Vitous (b) Alphonse Mouzon (d, per)

A&R Studios, NYC, October 13, 1970

tk.3 Pt. 1: The Creation Blue Note rejected

tk.4 Pt. 2: B. Because -

tk.5 Pt. 3: Cee -

tk.7 Pt. 4: Dee -

tk.8 Pt. 5: Effe -

Wayne really dislikes this session, as is stated in the Connoisseur wishlist 2007 thread, Michael Cuscuna played the tapes for Wayne, and he was unhappy with the results.

What Wayne has been playing only he and his band mates know. There are hints at compositions; but they veer off to parts unknown, and god bless them for it.

My thoughts as well. What a treasure. To maximize the pleasure that this group brings it is important to spend some significant time with Wayne's lifetime body of work IMHO. He speaks to it all. Amazing really.

I look forward to this release.

Wayne's opinion dates back to 1995. Is it possible it may have changed in 17 years?

When I did the inventory for his bio in 2006, one of the questions I had passed on to him concerned the compositions on this session. He didn't seem to remember much about this session at all, which surprised me.

Bertrand.

'Flying Down To Rio' is something he started playing last year. It's the same piece as 'The Carioca' (also on Dizzy at Newport and Philly Joe Drums Around The World).

That's two different songs, both from the same film, unless Shorter has made a mistake (hope not because Flying Down To Rio is a nice quirky choice, The Carioca less so).

Wayne's opinion dates back to 1995. Is it possible it may have changed in 17 years?

When I did the inventory for his bio in 2006, one of the questions I had passed on to him concerned the compositions on this session. He didn't seem to remember much about this session at all, which surprised me.

Bertrand.

Suggests to me that he found it an unpleasant memory, best repressed. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change his mind...

Glad to hear that this is coming out. But I myself could have done without the Imani Winds and more of the quartet. When I attended a concert with IW, I found the performance rather ungainly and boring. The pieces didn't breathe like the pieces with just the quartet. And I wish there was a recording of the dates with Jason Moran. Would be interested in hearing the differences.

• 1 year later...