Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Other than Lopez, are they recording?

The younger London musicians @mjazzg mentioned are prolific gigging musicians who I enjoy seeing and are releasing on bandcamp, even getting into mainstream publications like The Wire, although I still think they're yet to break through properly. It will be nice when they start to show up in year end polls.

Yes but some of them have not had their recordings released yet. Michael Foster’s The Ghost is on some lists. Some of these musicians will be more well known as the next few years go by. Specifically Chuck Roth 26 year old genius guitarist, James Paul Nadian - a 23 year old drummer who estimates he played 130 shows in 2023, Webb Crawford 20 something guitarist.

also gabby fluke-mogul & Nava Dunkelman. Both are incredible and starting to become better known. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone has any interest, these are my 11 favorite jazz/improv releases from this year:

Jason Adasiewicsz - Roscoe Village: The Music Of Roscoe Mitchell (Corbett vs. Dempsey)
AGNEL LANZ VATCHER - Animals (Klanggalerie)
Beeferman/Evans/Foster/Hirsch - GLOW (Tripticks Tapes)
Jaap Blonk/Damon Smith/Ra Kalam Bob Moses - Rune Kitchen (Balance Point Acoustics)
Seppe Gebruers - Playing With Standards (El Negocito)
Georg Graewe - Nothing Personal (Random Acoustics)
Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band - all this this here (Fundacja Słuchaj!)
Dave Liebman - Live At Small's (Cellar Music)
Lesley Mok - The Living Collection (American Dreams)
Pascal Niggenkemper - blòc (Subran Musiques Aventureuses)
Various - Live At Plus-Etage (A New Wave of Jazz)

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

130 shows in one year? How much does the average gig on those circuits pay? 

Many of them are gratis. Most of his gigs are from suggested donation type gigs. Record shops, outdoors, small rooms, etc. 

James doing what it takes to build up his skills. He’s gaining traction. Just like I tell Brandon Lopez, “Brandon you are the hardest working bassist on the planet”. Now that dude plays gigs. Often 2 in one day. Plus now all over the world. Plus now he’s become to my ears the baddest motherfucker on the double bass in NYC. With great respect to heavy dudes like John Hebert, Trevor Dunn & Michael Formanek. Especially Hebert who is totally bad ass incredible. 

James Paul Nadian has that sort of potential on the drums but long way to go to touch the super high echelon of guys like Tom Rainey, Nasheet Waits, Tyshawn Sorey, Gerald Cleaver and the criminally undervalued Randy Peterson. 

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I saw it. Is it worth a go?  Or should I wait?

Better live. Not thrilled they didn’t do full improv on the record plus too bad Brandon Lopez isn’t on the recording. While I’m at it, please listen to Matanzas

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ll work on a new list of newish recordings.

The younger musicians in NYC/Brooklyn are fire

James Paul Nadian

Chuck Roth

James McKain

Joey Sullivan (from Philly)

Michael Foster

Brandon Lopez (not new any longer)

Charmaine Lee

Caleb Duvall

T.J. Borden

Madison Greenstone

Webb Crawford 

and more. 

My familiarity with these musicians is largely limited to YouTube obviously but definitely some very strong players here; not necessarily convinced by all yet. Some other younger improvisors I’d add are Kelly Bray, Caroline Morton, DoYeon Kim, and Lemuel Marc. There’s a lot of promise out there right now. I’m cautiously optimistic that a new paradigm is on the rise.

Regarding Zoh Amba: I’ve listened to her recordings and watched a number of sets online; some were great, some less so. Meaning some had great clarity of intention and some did not. So it goes. But seeing her duet in person with Joe McPhee a few weeks ago was a revelation. It was truly extraordinary. She largely let Joe take the lead and colored his lines, echoed, pondered, and responded in perfect harmony. At times she was playing precisely his unique register on the horn. It was easily one of the best sax duos I’ve ever heard, and I know Joe was awed. Time will tell how she chooses to use her gifts, but she very much has them to use. Anyways, hopefully she & Joe will meet again, ideally on record. 

Edited by colinmce

Two other UK players I should have mentioned earlier are John Pope and Charlotte Keefe. Both releasing worthwhile material.

I gave the Michael Foster a quick listen, certainly sounds like it's worth spending time with, thanks Steve

Also, interesting list colinmce, at least six names I don't know which are great leads. 

9 hours ago, colinmce said:

My familiarity with these musicians is largely limited to YouTube obviously but definitely some very strong players here; not necessarily convinced by all yet. Some other younger improvisors I’d add are Kelly Bray, Caroline Morton, DoYeon Kim, and Lemuel Marc. There’s a lot of promise out there right now. I’m cautiously optimistic that a new paradigm is on the rise.

Regarding Zoh Amba: I’ve listened to her recordings and watched a number of sets online; some were great, some less so. Meaning some had great clarity of intention and some did not. So it goes. But seeing her duet in person with Joe McPhee a few weeks ago was a revelation. It was truly extraordinary. She largely let Joe take the lead and colored his lines, echoed, pondered, and responded in perfect harmony. At times she was playing precisely his unique register on the horn. It was easily one of the best sax duos I’ve ever heard, and I know Joe was awed. Time will tell how she chooses to use her gifts, but she very much has them to use. Anyways, hopefully she & Joe will meet again, ideally on record. 

Caroline Morton is a very strong young bassist. Lemuel Marc also very promising. The times I’ve seen them live were inspiring. I’m mixed on Zoh. Very little harmonic agility. Best when she is with strong players like Chris Corsano, Steve Gunn, Ryan Sawyer & gabby. Saw a great drummerless quartet with Forbes Graham, gabby & Luke Stewart. The other best set was with Gunn, gabby & Ryan Sawyer. Sawyer really pushed her even more than Corsano. 

Tom Weeks on alto strong as well. He’s from the Bay Area but plays in a free jazz quartet with Caroline, James McKain & Kevin Murray. HUGE energy. 

do NOT sleep on the *great* Chuck Roth. Just wait. The most original voice on guitar I’ve heard the last few years. Olaf Rupp type brilliance. But only 26 and has been playing seriously for a very long time. Plus the smartest funniest person I know:)

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Two other UK players I should have mentioned earlier are John Pope and Charlotte Keefe. Both releasing worthwhile material.

I gave the Michael Foster a quick listen, certainly sounds like it's worth spending time with, thanks Steve

Also, interesting list colinmce, at least six names I don't know which are great leads. 

The last set I saw with Michael Foster, Greg Kelley & Brandon Lopez was as great a 40 minute improvised set as I saw this past year out of many many sets. The trio set with Ghost was a close second. It’s hard to explain what Brandon Lopez means to these young musicians from a musical standpoint and otherwise. His fully in the moment creativity is off the charts. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Caroline Morton is a very strong young bassist. Lemuel Marc also very promising. The times I’ve seen them live were inspiring. I’m mixed on Zoh. Very little harmonic agility. Best when she is with strong players like Chris Corsano, Steve Gunn, Ryan Sawyer & gabby. Saw a great drummerless quartet with Forbes Graham, gabby & Luke Stewart. The other best set was with Gunn, gabby & Ryan Sawyer. Sawyer really pushed her even more than Corsano. 

I can agree with that. The music with Corsano has been pretty rote to my ears. The stuff I've liked best is when she's playing with her peers-- sets with gabby fluke-mogul/Lesley Mok and gfm/Luke Stewart/Tcheser Holmes are the best I've heard so far.

On 12/31/2023 at 4:32 AM, mjazzg said:

Just got hipped to Charlotte Keeffe via @colinmce's list. The first of the three discs of Live at Plus-Etage is a lengthy duo with Andrew Lisle that's really quite wonderful.

Didn’t get around to listening to this posthumous 2023 jaimie branch release, but high marks for it… I hope the video of Fly or Die playing it live (which turned out to be their final performance) eventually gets public distribution:

Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war))

Also recently came across this moving video of a Sept 2022 memorial march to the Red Hook docks in memory of her:

(Via her label International Anthem, a fantastic Chicago operation with which I’m sure is familiar to posters in this thread) 

a3746702331_10.jpg

Always partial to the Intakt imprint this one slipped my notice , mainly on account of not recognising any of the protagonists. My error was corrected by scanning a few end of year lists on Freejazzblog where this issue by Anna Webber featured. Very fine music indeed

Anna Webber ---Shimmer Wince----(Intakt CD 407/2023)

17 minutes ago, Clunky said:

a3746702331_10.jpg

Always partial to the Intakt imprint this one slipped my notice , mainly on account of not recognising any of the protagonists. My error was corrected by scanning a few end of year lists on Freejazzblog where this issue by Anna Webber featured. Very fine music indeed

Anna Webber ---Shimmer Wince----(Intakt CD 407/2023)

Mine's on the way. Her previous recordings on Pi are well worth a listen.

Do you buy Intact from a UK seller?

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Mine's on the way. Her previous recordings on Pi are well worth a listen.

Do you buy Intact from a UK seller?

Usually from Presto music  (UK based)- they can be a little slow though to get new releases. Shamefully this one came from Amazon 

Edited by Clunky

On 1/10/2024 at 11:27 AM, Clunky said:

Usually from Presto music  (UK based)- they can be a little slow though to get new releases. Shamefully this one came from Amazon 

Thank you. I ended up buying the Webber from Presto. They do seem the only alternative to Amazon

50 minutes ago, Clunky said:

a4264070086_10.jpg

Listening to this rhapsodic duet. Mr Hawkins has recorded quite a number of duet albums to date. This has a real delicacy with intricate and rather beautiful lines from piano and flute. 

I completely agree, lovely release

6 hours ago, Olie Brice said:

thought I'd let people here know about this - 'Immense Blue', by my trio with Rachel Musson and Mark Sanders, released a couple of days ago:

https://westhill.bandcamp.com/album/immense-blue

I listened to a clip the other day then got completely side tracked looking up Rachel Musson as she was a new name to me. That lead to other things and forgetting about the new disc. Corrected now- ordered

Just now, Clunky said:

I listened to a clip the other day then got completely side tracked looking up Rachel Musson as she was a new name to me. That lead to other things and forgetting about the new disc. Corrected now- ordered

Rachel Musson is very good I think. There's a fine duo album with Brice also

Thanks both of you.  I might be biased but I think Rachel's an amazing improviser - I highly recommend Shifa (her trio with Mark and Pat Thomas) and her solo album on 577

Anyone reading this in the States who might be interested - 'Immense Blue' is now available from Squidco, which should be quicker and cheaper postage than the bandcamp link above

41ZNwnS7uML._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

I'm a bit behind the curve. Mr Ottaviano I think has a new one out but when I went looking I only came across this duet with our man in Oxford. Released in 2022, I recall looking to get it in the UK without success at the time. It's a beautiful love letter to Mingus covering only his compositions. 

5 minutes ago, Clunky said:

41ZNwnS7uML._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

I'm a bit behind the curve. Mr Ottaviano I think has a new one out but when I went looking I only came across this duet with our man in Oxford. Released in 2022, I recall looking to get it in the UK without success at the time. It's a beautiful love letter to Mingus covering only his compositions. 

There's recordings on that label by others that I have tried to track down but it appears no UK distribution for physical formats

• 1 month later...

a0158471649_10.jpg

I took a chance on this relatively recent release on Discus. It's as good as the samples on Bandcamp would suggest. I'm not familiar to any of the musicians on this release. The leader plays the trumpet. A modern version of Bubber Miley with lots of lovely growling and fluttering sounds. Very convincing effort.

Charlotte Keefe----Alive! in the studio ----(Discus)