Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still contemplating about the Hutcherson Select - any opinions? Considering the little time I have for listening to jazz these days ....

It's nice but not indispensable.

But if you've got no time to listen to it....what's the point?

Hope. He's looking forward to having time in the future! ;)

Still contemplating about the Hutcherson Select - any opinions? Considering the little time I have for listening to jazz these days ....

It's nice but not indispensable.

But if you've got no time to listen to it....what's the point?

Hope. He's looking forward to having time in the future! ;)

There'll be something else to listen to in the future......

That's for sure! I have to listen to a lot of early music before writing reviews on my forum, and just got an offer from a rather productive label to receive their new releases - that eats up most of my listening time. I think I will pass and rather get the Jazz Crusaders next month - judging from the samples I will enjoy their groove somewhat more.

I think the quality of the solos is fine - I like Felder and Henderson. I find that in these sessions they have a sort of 'Texan' style to their soloing which is quite appealling. Straight to the point and no BS. Sample too - much less 'flowery' than he later became.

Edited by sidewinder

I just got the Hutcherson and have listened through it once, so far. I like it, but don't know if it's indispensable other than the difficulty of getting these sessions once it's OOP.

The only reason that I haven't joined the scramble to get it is because it's available for download on Amazon as part of the Capitol Vaults Jazz Series for $15.49, Of course, the Andrew Hill, Dexter Gordon, Don Pullen, John Patton and Paul Chambers sets can be had for even less. However, not all of the OOP Selects are available for download (i.e., the excellent Carmell Jones).

I just got the Hutcherson and have listened through it once, so far. I like it, but don't know if it's indispensable other than the difficulty of getting these sessions once it's OOP.

The only reason that I haven't joined the scramble to get it is because it's available for download on Amazon as part of the Capitol Vaults Jazz Series for $15.49, Of course, the Andrew Hill, Dexter Gordon, Don Pullen, John Patton and Paul Chambers sets can be had for even less. However, not all of the OOP Selects are available for download (i.e., the excellent Carmell Jones).

Carmell Jones is available as d/l from US amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carmell-Jones/dp/B0053VJ6BU/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1393959301&sr=1-4&keywords=carmell+jones

http://www.amazon.com/Carmell-Jones/dp/B0053VJ6BU/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1393959301&sr=1-4&keywords=carmell+jones

I'm glad to be mistaken! I wonder why they don't have it listed as a Capitol Vaults release. Are any of the OOP Selects unavailable via download?

Edited by Justin V

I'm glad to be mistaken! I wonder why they don't have it listed as a Capitol Vaults release. Are any of the OOP Selects unavailable via download?

I can't answer your last question but not all of the Mosaics available as d/l are listed as Capitol, e.g. Buddy Rich (though that is missing the final disk!!!!), Gerald Wilson, Turrentine, Nelson, Farmer/Golson, and maybe others I don't know.

I'm glad all those are available for downloads, but one of the reasons I buy Mosaics are for the excellent audio remastering experience and the liners/booklets - neither of which you would get with an MP3 D/L.

On the other hand, for anyone just mildly interested in any of those sets (myself included), then it's a great opportunity to get the music at minimal expense.

Had a surprise half-day off today and pulled out the one Hutcherson LP in my collection that is included in the Select and gave in, placed my order, along with the Jazz Crusaders and the Jazz Piano Single - sigh .... but I can afford it at the moment, and y'all know how it feels.

Now the one that still bugs me is the Woody Herman ... spinning the 3 LP Columbia set right now ... oh my .... do I need seven discs ofthis or is the 3 LP selection good enough for me?

Had a surprise half-day off today and pulled out the one Hutcherson LP in my collection that is included in the Select and gave in, placed my order, along with the Jazz Crusaders and the Jazz Piano Single - sigh .... but I can afford it at the moment, and y'all know how it feels.

Now the one that still bugs me is the Woody Herman ... spinning the 3 LP Columbia set right now ... oh my .... do I need seven discs ofthis or is the 3 LP selection good enough for me?

Decisions....decisions....decisions...