• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I have all of Tony's original CDs, but just ordered the Akiyoshi-Tabackin select.

A good one. I'm already ranking it up there with Thad & Mel in their 'modern' big-band sets.

also,

Just noticed that Andrew Hill 'Solo' is now in Last Chance...

Edited by sidewinder

I've never been that familiar with Akiyoshi/Tabakin, so I checked out the clips on the Select today.

GREAT stuff! I think I'm going to have to get it. Probably the Tony Williams, too, although I have a couple of the CDs and the others on vinyl.

I have pretty well all the LPs by Akiyoshi/Tabakin but had forgotten just how good the music/arrangements were - and it is good to have it all in the digital format. Superb craftsmanship went into those arrangements - and the various bands are up to it.

Sound on the Tony Williams seems to be better than on the individual CDs as well, so you can't go wrong with that set either.

Edited by sidewinder

I have pretty well all the LPs by Akiyoshi/Tabakin but had forgotten just how good the music/arrangements were - and it is good to have it all in the digital format. Superb craftsmanship went into those arrangements - and the various bands are up to it.

Sound on the Tony Williams seems to be better than on the individual CDs as well, so you can't go wrong with that set either.

Good to know on BOTH. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been that familiar with Akiyoshi/Tabakin, so I checked out the clips on the Select today.

GREAT stuff! I think I'm going to have to get it. Probably the Tony Williams, too, although I have a couple of the CDs and the others on vinyl.

Ordered both. Can't wait!

image.jpg

A lot of long OOP Mosaics were just auctioned off at ebay by seller bluenotesound (Stamford, Connecticut. Cuscuna?). All mint never played sets. I bought a copy of The Complete Candid Recordings of Cecil Taylor and Buell Neidlinger on CD numbered 0039. :)

Edited by erwbol

image.jpg

A lot of long OOP Mosaics were just auctioned off at ebay by seller bluenotesound (Stamford, Connecticut. Cuscuna?). All mint never played sets. I bought a copy of The Complete Candid Recordings of Cecil Taylor and Buell Neidlinger on CD numbered 0039. :)

Good pick up. It's one of my favorite Mosaics. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Edited by paul secor

image.jpg

I believe I will. I've had my eye on that set for a long time, and had previously ruled out getting the CDs issued by Candid themselves.

Looking at Cuscuna's feedback profile, there has been a lot of activity from him on ebay lately. Worth keeping an eye on bluenotesound. Some of the sets auctioned today were also on sale earlier this month.

Edited by erwbol

image.jpg

I believe I will. I've had my eye on that set for a long time, and had previously ruled out getting the CDs issued by Candid themselves.

Looking at Cuscuna's feedback profile, there has been a lot of activity from him on ebay lately. Worth keeping an eye on bluenotesounds. Some of the sets auctioned today were also on sale earlier this month.

Is it "bluenotesound" or "bluenotesounds"? I searched for both and came up empty.

image.jpg

Looking at Cuscuna's feedback profile, there has been a lot of activity from him on ebay lately. Worth keeping an eye on bluenotesounds. Some of the sets auctioned today were also on sale earlier this month.

Is it "bluenotesound" or "bluenotesounds"? I searched for both and came up empty.

Sorry, it's bluenotesound.

All of today's auctions ended within 15 minutes or so of each other, so none are listed right now.

Edited by erwbol

image.jpg

That's a great set, I have the vinyl version; too bad the sound is so wretched...

image.jpg

That's a great set, I have the vinyl version; too bad the sound is so wretched...

I had reached the conclusion that the individual Candid CDs sound worse than the Mosaic. Correct?

image.jpg

I had reached the conclusion that the individual Candid CDs sound worse than the Mosaic. Correct?

Not very familiar with the Candid releases, but from the little I heard, they are all in the same ballpark. It seems to me the original recordings were poor enough that no amount of cleaning and polishing will make much difference. It shocked me how bad these recordings sound compared to the earlier "Looking Ahead" on Contemporary.