Lee Morgan

Milestones

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee Morgan had a THING goin' on, and if you like that thing he did it in all kinda different contexts. I do, moreso than Freddie or donald or Blue or any other trumpet player save maybe Miles and brownie and Louis. Sometimes I think of him as a modernist Cootie Williams, but that's probably unfair to Lee and Cootie (and bubber Miley). Lee + Hank + Billy Higgins is groovalicious, but I'm glad there are other flavours too. Had his good and bad days, but who don't?

I've only been appreciating "Lee Morgan" for about the last 18 months. I put the name in quotes because I always loved the blazing work with the Jazz Messengers, but it's only recently that Morgan has really entered my consiousness. Bit like Joe Henderson, another great who I suppose I took for granted but who's albums I am now buying with increasing regularity.

• 1 year later...

Probably the most eye-opening Lee date -- for me -- was Larry Young's "Mothership". Some really amazing playing!

...and not just because of the context (for me, Young's most progressive date), but Lee really steps up.

Hadn't ever thought of this before, but I sure wish Lee had recoded on a Tyrone Washington leader date. At least we do have him on Hill's "Grass Roots" and "Lift Every Voice" -- the later being probably the more interesting (for me)

I'm definitely stating the obvious here but it's crazy that he was only 33 when he died in 1972. Crazy for the amount that he did in his short life and for the fact that he still had his whole life ahead of him.

Aye, taking the unfortunate albums out of his canon where the intent was to recreate The Sidewinder, as both leader and sideman, Morgan had a very impressive body of work.

If no one is going to post this, I guess I'll have to:

leeway.jpg

Always love those Lee & Jackie McLean match-ups :wub:

Including the most masterful Morgan original The Lion And The Wolff.

Charisma is my AAA#1 favorite

Side Two, yes, much mojo indeed.

Have you given The Sixth Sense time to work its magic?

I started exploring a bunch of those mid/late 60s albums over the past few years. I probably haven't given them all the attention they deserve, but they generally range from "good" to "excellent". If somebody is worried (like I was) that it's just "generic BN hard bop", those concerns should be (mostly) set aside.

If no one is going to post this, I guess I'll have to:

leeway.jpg

Always love those Lee & Jackie McLean match-ups :wub:

Ha ha, the funny thing is i just picked this album up a couple of weeks ago and have been really enjoying it but was too lazy to post it. Not an album i would have dug a couple of years ago but my tastes have really mutated.

Live at the Lighthouse might be my fav Lee Morgan and opened me to a very different side of him after having first heard his long string of hard boppish, occasionally formulaic Blue Notes of the 60s.

His final detour from Blue Note to my knowledge and one of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned here is Take Twelve. Killer front line of Lee and Clifford Jordan. I highly recommend it.