Kenny Burrell

Milestones

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommendations for Kenny Burrell Organ sessions (as leader or sideman) with anyone other than Jimmy Smith?

I can't offhand think of much he did with organ except for Smith, Scott & McDuff.

One without organ that's as good as 'Midnight blue' is

Kenny-Burrell-Soul-Call-448291.jpg

Soul call - Prestige

Ray Baretto is brill on this. And non-usual-suspect Will Davis on piano makes it v interesting.

MG

Any recommendations for Kenny Burrell Organ sessions (as leader or sideman) with anyone other than Jimmy Smith?

I can't offhand think of much he did with organ except for Smith, Scott & McDuff.

One without organ that's as good as 'Midnight blue' is

Kenny-Burrell-Soul-Call-448291.jpg

Soul call - Prestige

Ray Baretto is brill on this. And non-usual-suspect Will Davis on piano makes it v interesting.

MG

He did one and a half with Freddie Roach, IIRC

Yes, I did a bit more thinking and remembered those two - 'DOwn to earth' and 'Mo' greens please'.

Also

Milt Buckner - Mighty high - Argo

Leo Wright (with Gloria Coleperson) - Soul talk - Vortex

Jimmy McGriff - The big band - Solid State (not particularly noticeable in this :))

He was also on an organless Willis Jackson session in 1955 or 1957 (depending on whose research you believe). I keep forgetting that he did that :)

MG

In Kenny's bag, he simply can't be beat, but as a sideman on countless sessions, he was sometimes forced to go outside of his technical abilities on some of the more burning tempos.

I've been looking for his version of "Stolen Moments" for years, after I'd heard that he was the only guitarist to actually play it using Oliver Nelson's original harmonies. A friend finally played it for me, and though he at least tried to use some of those cluster voicings that are the essence of the greatness of that tune, he fell far short of capturing it, either harmonically or even being able to play it at the correct tempo. And if you're saying to your screen, "Oh yeah, let's see you do a better job", the answer is, "yes, I can.

Here's where the problem is: No one knows who the fuck you are. So saying "yes I can" just makes you an internet tough guy with nothing to back it up. You'd be better off making your criticism and leaving it at that.

Or telling us who you are and pointing us to <i>your</i> record with the superior version of "Stolen Moments".

When you tell us who you are, I'm sure we'll be able to see that you're the modern-day KB, having racked up dozens and dozens of sideman gigs, where your particular bag is always technically perfect.

In Kenny's bag, he simply can't be beat, but as a sideman on countless sessions, he was sometimes forced to go outside of his technical abilities on some of the more burning tempos.

I've been looking for his version of "Stolen Moments" for years, after I'd heard that he was the only guitarist to actually play it using Oliver Nelson's original harmonies. A friend finally played it for me, and though he at least tried to use some of those cluster voicings that are the essence of the greatness of that tune, he fell far short of capturing it, either harmonically or even being able to play it at the correct tempo. And if you're saying to your screen, "Oh yeah, let's see you do a better job", the answer is, "yes, I can.

Anybody here know any less than good Burrell album? I doubt it.

And modest too.

I don't think anybody would be saying anything like that 'to the screen'.

Who gives a fuck if you can play an Oliver Nelson chart better than Kenny did in 1957 or something.

Anybody here know any less than good Burrell album? I doubt it.

'Togethering' with Grover Washington Jr is significantly less than good.

MG

I respectfully disagree!

That one's "good" in my book - not much more than that, not very good or exceptional, but definitely good!

Here's where the problem is: No one knows who the fuck you are. So saying "yes I can" just makes you an internet tough guy with nothing to back it up. You'd be better off making your criticism and leaving it at that.

Or telling us who you are and pointing us to <i>your</i> record with the superior version of "Stolen Moments".

When you tell us who you are, I'm sure we'll be able to see that you're the modern-day KB, having racked up dozens and dozens of sideman gigs, where your particular bag is always technically perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cz4sjgckK0

I like Togethering quite a bit, though I thought it would be better. I really liked the two tunes by Kenny and Grover on the Blue Note re-launch (One Night with Blue Note): "Summertime" and "I'm so Glad There is You." While Togethering didn't quite reach that level, it's certainly listenable.

Edited by Milestones

Now, now, let's keep a civil tone; after all, this is the Internest! :rofl: After working for some ten years on it, I think I can confidently say that, yes, I can play the melody to SM better than KB or any other guitarist I've ever heard play it, but that's the only claim I'm making.

Even some pianists don't get the voicings right, but Ahmad Jamal plays it absolutely perfectly. Janice Friedman has a nice take on it, too.

KB is one of the all-time greats, but I'd personally rather hear Jimmy Raney, 1950s Tal Farlow, Bruce Forman, "Bad" Benson, Russell Malone, Lenny Breau, Wes, Larry Koonse, and a few others, than KB on tempos over 320bpm. :party:

Now, now, let's keep a civil tone; after all, this is the Internest! :rofl: After working for some ten years on it, I think I can confidently say that, yes, I can play the melody to SM better than KB or any other guitarist I've ever heard play it, but that's the only claim I'm making.

Even some pianists don't get the voicings right, but Ahmad Jamal plays it absolutely perfectly. Janice Friedman has a nice take on it, too.

KB is one of the all-time greats, but I'd personally rather hear Jimmy Raney, 1950s Tal Farlow, Bruce Forman, "Bad" Benson, Russell Malone, Lenny Breau, Wes, Larry Koonse, and a few others, than KB on tempos over 320bpm. :party:

>

sgcim --What do you think of Eddie Higgins' version of SM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDt11RY9CfM

Obviously, it's great, as is KB's, but again, they don't play ON's harmonization of the melody. Eddie doesn't play the parallel maj7th chord on the third beat of the fourth measure, but who gives a shit- he swings his ass off, and plays great lines, which is all that matters! :Nod: My complaint is primarily with these cats that completely ignore ON's genius harmonization of the tune, and just play a basic minor blues on the first eight bars of the MELODY. Eddie's version is so hip and swinging, he transcends all my nitpicking.

Joel, my brother, NOsky on the OUTsky. Even you turned against me when I said on that "other forum" that I performed at a jazz festival in front of thousands of people. No one can be trusted! :crazy:

sgcim --What do you think of Eddie Higgins' version of SM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDt11RY9CfM

My complaint is primarily with these cats that completely ignore ON's genius harmonization of the tune, and just play a basic minor blues on the first eight bars of the MELODY.

Now this I'll vouch for/second the emotion/whatever. I took that chart apart, part by part, back in the day as an arranging assignment, and getting it right - absolutely right - was a helluva lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Lots of "counter-intuitive" note choices on the inside, especially in the bari part...

And what is the bari part doing on the inside, you may or may not ask? Well, yeah. Exactly.

Or maybe I'm forgetting, hell it was 35 years ago. But short of digging through my closet, that'll be my story, thanks.

So you all like SM? :unsure:

I still like it (I think), but in my experience, it was one of the most over-played and over-recorded tunes during the 80's and 90's. I had to stop listening to jazz radio at times, because I was hearing that tune three times a day.