Warner Bros. Jazz Masters

bebopbob

Just picked up the following CDs from the Warner Bros. Jazz Masters series

Ornette Coleman - Ornette!

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring

Erroll Garner - The Greatest Garner.

Well mastered, nicely packaged discs with additional tracks. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a new reissue program from Atlantic-Warner :)

Would love to see the following released on this series:

Shorty Rogers and His Giants - The Swingin' Mr. Rogers

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Plays George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Live at the Lighthouse

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet

David Fathead Newman - Ray Charles Presents

Milt Jackson - Ballads and Blues (available on Collectables with one tune omitted)

Shorty Rogers - Way Up There (also available on Collectables with one tune omitted)

While Ornette! was previously issued on a 2LP/1CD Collectable, its reissue in this series may bring to light other complete Atlantic LPs that had only been available in abridged form on Collectables with one or more pieces omitted from the orginal LP as a result of time limitations on the CD.

There is also a Warne Marsh CD in this series that is excellent.

Eric

Which Warne Marsh are you referring to, the one with Lee Konitz or his Atlantic date without Konitz? I haven't seen either in this series.

Edited by J.A.W.

Muskrat, the full Ornette Coleman Atlantic recordings output is available on the 'Beauty Is a Rare Thing' 6CD box from Rhino/Atlantic.

I know, but I've been buying the discs individually. I normally avoid jazz box sets unless there's a big monetary savings or lots of significant tracks unavailable elsewhere. Just as importantly, I like discs with the original cover art and liners, original track order, etc., and it's fun to discover an artist's work over time instead of getting a big pile o' music all at once, imo.

Since Rhino will apparently be reissuing Twins in March (at least in Europe), that means almost all the material will now be available on single discs. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

• 2 weeks later...

Are these the imports of European digipaks or did Rhino do the repackaging and put them in jewel cases? [i'm talking about the recent batch of remasters released on the 3rd: Apogee, You Must Believe in Spring, The Greatest Garner, Ornette! etc.]

Not that I care ... I just put my order in at CDUniverse and will be happy to have them in any shape.

However, this reissue business is killing me, I must say. This time around 4 of the 7 CDs (the Bill Evans and the 3 Ellington Columbias) I ordered were for the bonus tracks only. Not even 10 years into the life as a serious jazz listener/collector, already this is happening all too often. I can only imagine how it is like for those of you who have been at this for far longer than I have. -_-

The ones I saw are all digipaks made in the EU.

You're right about the reissue business: seems it is alway new guys running this business who have no idea what generations of reissue producers before them have been doing. Same goes for classical reissues. It's a mess!

My suggestion is to part with older issues, unless they sound better.

You're right about the reissue business: seems it is alway new guys running this business who have no idea what generations of reissue producers before them have been doing. Same goes for classical reissues. It's a mess!

My suggestion is to part with older issues, unless they sound better.

The problem with parting with older issues is oftentimes you cannot determine clearly which sounds better. They just sound different with each having its idiosyncratic merits and faults.

Of course, in the end, you don't want to keep duplicates and end up selling (or giving away) one ... but funny how you keep missing certain nuances from the one you got rid of after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to correct myself here: The Zweitausendeins shop only had CDs from earlier reissue series in stcok, which were digipacks, but the new ones they sent by mail were all jewel cases, made in Germany. Remastering sounds very good and natural, very close to the Lps I have. I'll get me more of these.