Chuck Nessa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard his quartet live at the intimate Firehouse 12 a couple of years ago. I have also heard many recordings he appears on - in particular with Mostly Other People Do The Killing. I respect his obvious mastery of the trumpet, including a wide range of extended techniques. Some of the actual music he has created outside of his original quartet or with MOPDTK has not really connected for me, but he is certainly a "star" within the realm he operates.

Wednesday, Jul 31 - 8:30PM

PETER EVANS'

Peter Evans, trumpet; John Hébert, bass; Kassa Overall, drums Peter_Evans_Trio_by_Peter_Gannushkin-04. "Peter Evans' new Zebulon trio is an exploration of the extremely rare trumpet/bass/drums format. Named after the now-closed Brooklyn club, Evans works with the virtuosic and versatile rhythm team of John Hebert (Andrew Hill, Mary Halvorson, Fred Hersch) and Kassa Overall (Vijay Iyer, Geri Allen, Steve Coleman). The music seamlessly blends groove, loose improvisation and intricate compositions.

"With this disc, Mr Evans and his trio have raised the bar even higher than usual. This is will be nearly impossible to top as far as trumpet trios are concerned. Mr. Evans is not the only player here in top form, both bassist John Hebert who takes a couple of astonishing solos, and drummer Kassa Overall are consistently flabberghasting throughout. All three musicians play with superhuman creativity."--Bruce Gallanter, Downtown Music Gallery

Highlights of Peter Evans week @ The Stone

9/14 Saturday
8 pm
Peter Evans Octet
PE (trumpets, compositions) Ron Stabinsky (piano, trumpet) Brandon Seabrook (guitar, banjo, electronics) Tom Blancarte (bass, euphonium) Dan Peck (tuba, amplified tuba, bass) Sam Pluta (live electronics, trombone) Jim Black (drums, electronics) Ian Antonio (percussion)
One 2 hour set at 8pm.

9/15 Sunday
8 and 10 pm
Rocket Science
Evan Parker (saxes) Peter Evans (trumpets) Sam Pluta (live electronics) Craig Taborn (piano)

Heard him at The Hideout in Chicago a year or two ago. Very impressive (as in the clip) in terms of technique and imagination, but over the course of an entire set (which IIRC consisted of one unbroken stint) he began to wear me out some -- too unvaried, perhaps too "athletic." In the same general area of stunning trumpet chops/extended techniques, I've been more taken with Jacob Wick.

At times it's difficult to believe it's a trumpet making the noises. Multiple times in the performance the sound reached a wail of unearthly creepiness. His circular breathing is remarkable. It's not my bag, but it's pretty intense. My tastes fall more in line with Dan Gould's.

It raises questions for me as to how much of this might just be considered showing off chops, like a metal guitarist just shredding for the sake of shredding. As if it were more practicing than composing. Although there is a somewhat emotional feel to it all, I feel as if it's a bit mush-mouthed or not as pronounced in the emotion it provokes as a solo arriving at such technical fireworks within the context of more recognizable jazz elements.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's room to appreciate any sort of music performed however anyone wants to perform it. And if this is exactly someone's bag, more power to it. It feels to me like the height of a solo, at its most abstract and completely detached moment, extended for 20 minutes, and not bookended by the journey there and back.

How did we get there? I don't know, but we're there, it's eerie, and we don't get to go home.

For me, I would rather hear him in a trio or quartet just as I prefer Evan Parker in a trio or quartet playing something nearer to jazz/free improvisation

For improvisational music that is more abstract, I prefer to listen to Axel Doerner or Greg Kelley with some of the other musicians that specialize in smaller sounds in what is known by some as EAI or electro acoustic improvisation which for me is a much more subtle and less expressive form

of improvisation. Once I became interested in that sort of thing over tem years ago it helped my ears and my mind into being more open to other aspects of listening and music.

Of course it IS music, it just isn't for all listeners.

My starting suggestion for the abstract in improvisation is always two discs first being AMM's Live in Allentown as it combines discernible instruments (drums and piano) with what Keith Rowe does. And it IS music. For what it is, it's actually some if the greatest music I've ever heard and this recording has Eddie Prevost in a mode during part of the 59 minute piece that comes from his jazz drumming background. And John Tilbury for what he does is one of the great pianists of his or really any other generation

The other is called Schnee which really is one of the original old school EAI recordings from around 1998 which had me within a couple of spins after I stopped expecting to hear something that just wasn't there.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Like Alexander, I recommend "Live in Lisbon"; he can definitely play the changes if the music warrants that. Two with Evan Parker that I recommend are Scenes InThe House Of Music, and The Moments Energy with the electro-acoustic ensemble.

Like Alexander, I recommend "Live in Lisbon"; he can definitely play the changes if the music warrants that. Two with Evan Parker that I recommend are Scenes InThe House Of Music, and The Moments Energy with the electro-acoustic ensemble.

They would HATE "Scenes in the House of Music"

No playing changes there as Evan Parker, Barry Guy and Paul Lytton just couldn't cut it playing straight ahead jazz so they formed a trio 30 something years ago that allowed them with their low technique or lack of being able to play changes skill to make headache causing or vomit inducing music under the legendary moniker of Parker-Guy-Lytton

Of course Barry Guy is among the greatest bassists alive schooled in all forms music, having written many of the greatest large form Orchestra pieces in all of jazz over the past 40 years while Evan Parker is Evan Parker

But many have no use for it, I understand - but the bullshit line is just that.

Can I say much of what some like to constantly listen to is the always same old theme, solos, theme sleep and coma inducing tripe with musicians who haven't or won't incorporate anything outside of get ready for more of the same

But the tired old adage about whether they can play changes, please

That argument was over 10 to 15 years ago