Art Pepper - Neon Art

tomatamot

Having a big soft spot for alto-players:

Neon Art: Volume One features two songs drawn from unissued performances at Parnell’s in Seattle, WA, recorded on January 28, 1981. Side one features a funky romp on Art’s composition, “Red Car,” while side two showcases another Pepper composition, “Blues For Blanche.” Volume One will be released on red vinyl.

Neon Art: Volumes Two and Three are drawn from a 1981 concert tour in Japan. Volume Two features, “Mambo Koyama,” “Over The Rainbow” and “Allen’s Alley,” and will be released on neon pink vinyl.

Volume Three rolls out the brilliant “Make A List (Make A Wish)” on side one, coupled with “Everything Happens To Me” and “Arthur’s Blues” on side two. Volume Three will be released on neon yellow vinyl

Art-Pepper-Covers.png

p.s great Fidelity !

Edited by tomatamot

I'm glad Laurie is managing the legacy and getting some recordings out That said. . . I really have never warmed to Pepper, I like his earliest recordings best. Have all the stuff on OJC and hardly ever listen to it. So I haven't bought any of the posthumous recordings.

Edited by jazzbo

I'm glad Laurie is managing the legacy and getting some recordings out That said. . . I really have never warmed to Pepper, I like his earliest recordings best. Have all the stuff on OJC and hardly ever listen to it. So I haven't bought any of the posthumous recordings.

I think you mean posthumous releases ;)

I've Volume 3 , pressing quality is fine and the overall sound quality is decent if not earth shattering. A bit of gimmick but a nice one at that. i'm sure i will get the others. Audiophiles also be warned that Ron McMaster is responsible for the mastering, using facilities of Capitol studios in LA, which I'm sure means that these are not analogue all the way.

I've Volume 3 , pressing quality is fine and the overall sound quality is decent if not earth shattering. A bit of gimmick but a nice one at that. i'm sure i will get the others. Audiophiles also be warned that Ron McMaster is responsible for the mastering, using facilities of Capitol studios in LA, which I'm sure means that these are not analogue all the way.

In my conversations with Ron McMaster, he has stated that if he is given an analog source, it's all analog. If he's given a digital source, it's not. The rumor that his cutting lathe converts everything to digital prior to cutting has been flatly denied. He may be wrong (if he really doesn't understand his cutting system) but he truly believes he is not.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I think you mean posthumous releases ;)

Art is a man who died many deaths.

Yes, yes, I appreciate all the folks who've wanted to make sure this is legit. It is. Totally. I'm not up to putting out vinyl, but my friends at Omnivore thought this would be a good idea, and I agreed. These are beautiful albums - to look at and to listen to. In about a year, I'll be releasing all three on cd (on Widow's Taste). L.P.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my records in today and there's a bit of a problem. In order to create a unique LP package, they slid the vinyl into the cardboard jacket without an inner sleeve of any kind plus they slipped a download card in there too. Not cool. I went through my vinyl collection and found 3 round-bottomed Japanese clear inner sleeves and slid the records into them to protect them, something Omnivore should have done. Looking at the records, there are some pretty noticeable markings on the green record and a couple of scuffs on the pink one. I hope they're not audible. The fact that the red vinyl had the download card on the outside of the jacket and it was the only LP without noticeable scuffs leads me to believe that these cards are the culprit.

Kevin

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Had a listen to Volume 1 and am downright tickled. Great band flowing freely, and Pepper is a total gas, he's working that shit!

Here again the love-hate relationship with pianist Milcho Leviev works in favour of the result ....