Dootone and Crown Records reissues

Head Man

Looks like the Dootone Records catalogue is being re-issued, starting this August.

Here's the blurb:

• In 2013 we are re-launching the label as the home for our small but distinct catalogue of 1950s and 1960s ‘modern jazz’. Each of the releases will strive for the highest quality in sound reproduction, mastered from fresh transfers from first generation mastertapes, and featuring bonus tracks where relevant. Our first selections come from the small but distinctive catalogue of Dootsie William’s Dootone label.

All have been remastered from source tapes, have fresh sleeve notes and are packaged in a digipack.

The first (only?) four re-issues are:

Buddy Collette Quintet - Buddy's Best

Carl Perkins Trio - Introducing.........

Curtis Counce Quintet - Exploring The Future

Dexter Gordon - Blows Hot and Cool

The sound on the original re-issues by Boplicity wasn't brilliant, it will be interesting to hear if these sound any better.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Dootone Records catalogue is being re-issued, starting this August.

Here's the blurb:

• In 2013 we are re-launching the label as the home for our small but distinct catalogue of 1950s and 1960s ‘modern jazz’. Each of the releases will strive for the highest quality in sound reproduction, mastered from fresh transfers from first generation mastertapes, and featuring bonus tracks where relevant. Our first selections come from the small but distinctive catalogue of Dootsie William’s Dootone label.

All have been remastered from source tapes, have fresh sleeve notes and are packaged in a digipack.

The first (only?) four re-issues are:

Buddy Collette Quintet - Buddy's Best

Carl Perkins Trio - Introducing.........

Curtis Counce Quintet - Exploring The Future

Dexter Gordon - Blows Hot and Cool

The sound on the original re-issues by Boplicity wasn't brilliant, it will be interesting to hear if these sound any better.

nice

who is doing the reissuing?

They are being reissued on the Boplicity label, which is owned by Ace (U.K.), who, if I remember correctly, own the rights to Dootone.

http://acerecords.co.uk/boplicity-label

O.K., that settles it ... the R&B output of the label will be (has been) taken care of very well ... ;)

I wasn't too impressed with the cover artwork of the Boplicity LPs in the 80s. Sort of nondescript cheapo and not evocative of the contents. Hope they do a job this time that matches that of the Ace CDs.

This means Counce now has 1 title currently in print. A shame.

Yes, it IS a shame. This Dootone plus the three/four on Contemporary make a very nice selection of hard, West-Coast jazz.

I seem to recall that all the music on these albums was released by one of the Andorran labels a while back..was it Gambit? That's probably why all the "proper" releases have gone OOP

Yes, it IS a shame. This Dootone plus the three/four on Contemporary make a very nice selection of hard, West-Coast jazz.

I seem to recall that all the music on these albums was released by one of the Andorran labels a while back..was it Gambit? That's probably why all the "proper" releases have gone OOP

Yes, it wasGambit, but I doubt that would be enough to drive them out of print on Contemporary. More likely the Concord bean counters saw there was insufficient sales history.

Yes, it wasGambit, but I doubt that would be enough to drive them out of print on Contemporary. More likely the Concord bean counters saw there was insufficient sales history.

Yeah, most likely. Mosaic was considering a Select, too bad that never came to pass.

As a disappointing addendum, the OOP CDs are very pricy to boot.

Same as the cover on my Boplicity LP - except for "Boplicity Remastered" on the side.

Good to see they did use repros of the original covers for the Boplicity vinyls of the Dootone series (as they did on Fresh Soudn which must have been more or less contemporary). I remember other Boplicity vinyls left me unimpressed (e.g. the Pepper/Baker "Playboys" 80s pseudo New-Wave-ish cover - nothing compared to the original cheesecake cover on WoPa. :D).

Has anyone here heard that Helen Humes album? What is it like?

None of it included in Mr R&B's 'Be baba leba' compilation. But it's only an EP.

MG

You'd need to check out her OTHER Mr R&B album: New Million dollar Secret (on Whiskey WOmen and ... KM-707). ;)

Half of the EP is on there:

All I Ask is Your Love (after-hours slow blues, as the title suggests) and

Woojamacooja (nice danceable mid-tempo)

Has anyone here heard that Helen Humes album? What is it like?

None of it included in Mr R&B's 'Be baba leba' compilation. But it's only an EP.

MG

You'd need to check out her OTHER Mr R&B album: New Million dollar Secret (on Whiskey WOmen and ... KM-707). ;)

Half of the EP is on there:

All I Ask is Your Love (after-hours slow blues, as the title suggests) and

Woojamacooja (nice danceable mid-tempo)

Oh....

MG