Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

I'm using these:

http://signalcable.com/classicspeaker.html

Bi-wire, connected to a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20i speakers. Got the "MagicPower" power cord as well. Powered by this:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0809/jungson_ja88d.htm

Next to listen is Wayne Shorter's "Odyssey of Iskra." Based on what I have heard from the Patton, I ordered the Dolphy Out to Lunch SHM from Amazon resellers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

at this late date, i'm not sure what i can add that hasn't already been said.

my shipment arrived saturday and depsite my marantz still being in the shop, i gave 'now hear this', 'grass roots, 'on broadway', and 'the all seeing eye' good listens on the inferior NAD amp (on a cambridge audio azur 851 player, however).

i found the transfers and mastering to be very natural; neither quiet nor loud. i could detect a decent soundstage, which will only become more clearly pronounced with the marantz. the reuben wilson title really sparkled... i compared the connoisseur issue of 'the all seeing eye' to the shm and while the connoisseur wasn't awful, per se, it was certainly lacking in the aforementioned qualities, however, only by comparison. having nothing to compare it to, it would have sufficed.

i'm saving 'odyssey of iska' and the others for the return of the marantz (sorry to keep using this as an excuse, but...).

if this is how universal is going to treat the blue note catalog then it's a very good sign of things to come.

on a side note, i'm considering pairing the azur 851 A amplifier with the player, but i'm not sure i'm ready for that giant step quite yet...

Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil arrived this afternoon and I just did a quick comparison of the first 2 tracks on my BN Works version and the TYCJ. The BN Works sounds a bit "flatter", with less depth than the TYCJ; however, the latter sounds more aggressive, more "in your face" to me, especially the horns. Overall, I found the TYCJ less easy on the ears, more fatiguing.

Edited by J.A.W.

Although I do think that one is a bit more aggressive sounding than some of the others, with your system and preferences you probably won't be happy with the others.

Please don't tell me what I probably would or would not like; you know nothing about that. To me it comes across as patronising.

As I've noted before, we have extremely opposing views and preferences when it comes to sound and its reproduction and I'd suggest that we do not comment on each other's posts on that subject anymore. Thank you.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans, sorry I was not being patronizing and was doing nothing other than trying to note that though the SNE is one of the more aggressive of the new ones, they all share that sort of "character." Sounded to me that you didn't really like that, I know your preferences from postings here and on Hoffman, and I was simply trying to express that I think you would not like the series.

I apologize, honestly I think you're being overly sensitive.

Hans, sorry I was not being patronizing and was doing nothing other than trying to note that though the SNE is one of the more aggressive of the new ones, they all share that sort of "character." Sounded to me that you didn't really like that, I know your preferences from postings here and on Hoffman, and I was simply trying to express that I think you would not like the series.

Call it what you want, but I don't like being told what I would like and what not. Anyway, I'll not respond to your "sonic posts" anymore. I can only hope you'll do the same with mine.

Call it what you want, but I don't like being told what I would like and what not. Anyway, I'll not respond to your "sonic posts" anymore. I can only hope you'll do the same with mine.

That is just being an ass. There was nothing patronizing about his post. This discussion has been all along about the character of sound for these reissues, which have been enlightening, to say the least. Don't want to be told? Then go back to the Hoffmann board.

That is just being an ass. There was nothing patronizing about his post. This discussion has been all along about the character of sound for these reissues, which have been enlightening, to say the least. Don't want to be told? Then go back to the Hoffmann board.

If being called an ass is not a personal attack, I don't know what is. If you don't agree with my perception of Lon's post, fine, but there's no need for insults.

It was my impression that Lon was trying to save you some money!!

If being called an ass is not a personal attack, I don't know what is. If you don't agree with my perception of Lon's post, fine, but there's no need for insults.

He said you're "being an ass", which means you're acting like one (ie, stubborn and obstinate) not that you actually are one. I really don't think this is worthy of filing a report and frankly I found your response to Lon far more rude than Stefan's response to you, especially considering all Lon did was offer his opinion (the entire point of a message board) in an attempt to help you.

He said you're "being an ass", which means you're acting like one (ie, stubborn and obstinate) not that you actually are one. I really don't think this is worthy of filing a report and frankly I found your response to Lon far more rude than Stefan's response to you, especially considering all Lon did was offer his opinion (the entire point of a message board) in an attempt to help you.

Well, thank you for making your point so clear. Needless to say I see things quite differently, but I think I'd better stop here before I post something I might regret later.

[edited]

Sent you a PM.

Edited by J.A.W.

Frankly speaking, I can't take the discussion of this series on the Hoffman board seriously. One poster first praises the series, stating he likes what he hears, then he produces some graphs and makes a u-turn.

Not at all. It is very serious and consistent. The initial impression was based on some samples played through the laptop. Then I purchased the CDs and played them at home and was very disappointed. Then I reproduced the graphs (although an engineer, I hate the objective approach in these matters - only the ears are judges). I explained that in that discussion. My judgement was not based on the graphs. I was (still am) very well inclined to acknowledge they are good and worth the upgrade. I ordered Maiden Voyage so as to see. Perhaps it is a case-by-case matter. But serious it is! (no hard feelings). In any case, due to the positive impressions these got by some, I ll re-listen again critically.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/blue-note-shm-cds.327454/page-3#post-9996156

PS: from the reviews I read I think more or less most agree that these SHM s could have been less loud.

Edited by Alexandros

I gotta grab the Rivers, Young, "Juju" when funds allow. I REALLY like the SHM's of "Empyrean Isles", "Speak No Evil" and "Out to Lunch" all huge improvements to the McMaster's and RVG's (though I may have heard a McMaster of the Hancock in passing once).

Do you mean "Contrasts" by Larry Young? I have this on pre-order! Can't wait! Also in the same order, the already released Turrentine's 'Easy Walker' and Pearson's 'Now Here This.'.

I've been experimenting with phase inversion on these titles as it's easy for me to do, the touch of a button on the remote to my DAC (PS Audio Perfectwave DAC Mark II). I find this can make a difference with some releases, especially Japanese. For example the John Patton "That Certain Feeling" sounds "better" to me with phase inverted.

Jimmy Ponder is monstrous on this one.

Edited by jazzbo