Which artists have you seen live the most?

Hardbopjazz

It's saddening to think how little time I've had for live music the past 25 years - the past six, in particular. So, over the full course of my listening history, I'd probably say Jessica Williams (as house pianist/regular performer at Keystone Korner), George Cables and headliners Dexter Gordon, Rahsaan Roland Kirk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely get a chance to see an international artist more than once but i realised that i have actually seen Chick Corea twice! Once as solo piano, once with the Five Peace Band. Had tickets to see him a third time with the version of RTF that had Frank Gambale and Jean Luc Ponty but they cancelled.

Without a doubt, Bob Dylan is the man for me. I often hear how people have come away from his concerts disappointed, but I've never had that feeling.

If we're not talking jazz, it's Dylan for me too. Probably a dozen times over 40 years in three countries and 4 cities.

Only saw Dylan perform twice (was around him in a non-performing situation a couple of times too) - first was a concert in Boston with the Band (1974?) and second in a tv studio in Chicago for a John Hammond tribute.

I rarely get a chance to see an international artist more than once but i realised that i have actually seen Chick Corea twice! Once as solo piano, once with the Five Peace Band. Had tickets to see him a third time with the version of RTF that had Frank Gambale and Jean Luc Ponty but they cancelled.

Good call Xybert! I've seen Chick twice with Miles, and a third time with Return to Forever.

That'd probably be a Dutch rock band called "Van Dik Hout". (translated: Of Thick Wood) One year I think I saw them about 10/12 times during that period I was a die hard fan. Lately I don't go see them that much, maybe once a year. I still like the music but I'm more into jazz now.

I guess I'm at a bit of disadvantage here, being 32 and only into jazz for about 12 years. I've been fortunate to see many of the greats at least once. Some of my all-time favorites and legends whom I've seen more than twice: Lee Konitz 6 times in the last year and a half; Jimmy Heath 5 times; Roy Haynes 4 times; Cecil McBee 4 times; Wayne Shorter 4 times; and, Sonny Rollins 3 times. I've seen Greg Abate 6 times; he plays at least once a year in Cleveland and my hometown, so I've seen him with the likes of Bobby Watson, Phil Woods, Richie Cole and others.

Edited by Justin V

I've seen Greg Abate 6 times; he plays at least once a year in Cleveland and my hometown, so I've seen him with the likes of Bobby Watson, Phil Woods and Richie Cole and others.

Greg certainly gets around! He has a regular UK slot - two weeks every July and November, playing every day. I've lost count of how many times I've seen him, but he's become a good friend.

Yes, he likes pairing up with other altoists - here his choice is usually Alan Barnes. I have the excellent albums he made with Richie and Phil.

Edited by BillF

Chick Corea (Elektric, Elektric II, New Trio, Akoustic)

Maynard Ferguson

Chicago

Heart

Queensryche

Pat Metheny

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Elvis (once, when I was 6)

Many, many others (John Scofield, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, various Jazz and Blues festivals...)

None of them recent, though I'm afraid. Shows are so expensive now, I'd rather spend the money on a few albums. Plus I used to see so many shows when I worked in music retail the allure to travel and spend the time and cash just isn't there. I know. I'm lame. :)

I've seen Greg Abate 6 times; he plays at least once a year in Cleveland and my hometown, so I've seen him with the likes of Bobby Watson, Phil Woods and Richie Cole and others.

Greg certainly gets around! He has a regular UK slot - two weeks every July and November, playing every day. I've lost count of how many times I've seen him, but he's become a good friend.

Yes, he likes pairing up with other altoists - here his choice is usually Alan Barnes. I have the excellent albums he made with Richie and Phil.

After Swanage this Summer (the 'Abate and Barnes Show'), Messrs Abate and Barnes will probably head my list by a long way !

Easy -- Wilbur Campbell. He was pretty much the house drummer at the various incarnations of the Jazz Showcase from about 1968 (when he got out of Stateville, where he had been imprisoned on a drugs charge) until his death in 2000 at age 73. I also heard him a good many times before that, beginning in 1957. Thanks be, he was a great drummer, too.

Yes indeed. In so many different groupings, too. Wouldn't it be great to hear him again with Mobley, Ammons, Dexter, Stitt, Art Pepper, Konitz-Marsh, Jimmy Raney, etc.? Too bad we're too young to have heard that quartet of Monk-Griffin-Ware-Campbell. Let's see, there are records of Wilbur Campbell with Ira, Von Freeman, E. Parker McDougal, Muhal - who else?

Cedar Walton, four or five times.

Doug Hammond in different constellations, especially the trio with Steve Coleman, about five times.

Mombasa, Lou Blackburn's German based afro-jazz band, at least six times.

And, of course, several German jazz greats.

Edited by mikeweil

having given some more thought ... of course it's local guys I saw most often (each of them four or five, maybe six or seven times - and I'll see more of them in the future, I hope):

Colin Vallon (with his own trio and with singer Elina Duni, whom, alas, I've seen but twice yet)

Christian Weber (from solo to gigs with Oliver Lake and Urs Leimgruber and as sideman with Co Streiff's fine sextet)

Irène Schweizer (solo, duos with Pierre Favre and charming singer Françoise Kübler, as guest with Trio 3)

of the non-locals, I'm quite sure Taylor Ho Bynum wins the honours (with his sextet, with Braxton, with the Convergence Quartet, with Mike Reed ...), then there's also Matana Roberts (Coin Coin Chapters 1 and 2 and two solo gigs), then the entire Trio 3 (plus Cyrille with Grimes and Crispell, plus Lake in various other settings, plus Workman solo and with Shepp/Lateef).

This list is probably still incomplete ... the Bauer brothers have been up several times, Pierre Favre as well, Abdullah Ibrahim for sure (at least four times), Brötzmann ... I should really take notes of the concerts I catch, just like I do with the movies I watch. Memory about sidemen fades too quickly too often.

Probably a tie between Sonny Rollins and Vijay Iyer at 5-6 times, then Dave Brubeck and Rudresh Mahanthapa at 4 or so times. Von Freeman is somewhere in the mix between 4-6 times. Joshua Redman 4 times (twice with the SF Jazz Collective). I've probably seen Jason Moran 3 or so times, but once was as a sideman. I don't keep great records on this, and I also don't go out nearly as much as I used to. And virtually no one tours Vancouver.

Probably a tie between Sonny Rollins and Vijay Iyer at 5-6 times, then Dave Brubeck and Rudresh Mahanthapa at 4 or so times. Von Freeman is somewhere in the mix between 4-6 times. Joshua Redman 4 times (twice with the SF Jazz Collective). I've probably seen Jason Moran 3 or so times, but once was as a sideman. I don't keep great records on this, and I also don't go out nearly as much as I used to. And virtually no one tours Vancouver.

But there's a very good Vancouver jazz scene. Even at this distance I know about Cory Weeds and club dates like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsBApFh2f9E

Easy -- Wilbur Campbell. He was pretty much the house drummer at the various incarnations of the Jazz Showcase from about 1968 (when he got out of Stateville, where he had been imprisoned on a drugs charge) until his death in 2000 at age 73. I also heard him a good many times before that, beginning in 1957. Thanks be, he was a great drummer, too.

Yes indeed. In so many different groupings, too. Wouldn't it be great to hear him again with Mobley, Ammons, Dexter, Stitt, Art Pepper, Konitz-Marsh, Jimmy Raney, etc.? Too bad we're too young to have heard that quartet of Monk-Griffin-Ware-Campbell. Let's see, there are records of Wilbur Campbell with Ira, Von Freeman, E. Parker McDougal, Muhal - who else?

He's also on some tracks of Ware's "The Chicago Sound." Wilbur also had a special affinity for Al Cohn and Cohn-like tenormen like Sandy Mosse. He could get right inside their time and boot them along with great empathy.

One of my favorite Wilbur experiences came when he was at the Jazz Showcase at the Blackstone backing Konitz, with Jodie Christian and Steve Rodby. Lee wanted them to play as freely as possible, and by the end of the week, boy did they!