May 16: Laurie Pepper - Why I Stuck with a Junkie Jazzman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

organissimo.jpg

Really Ms. Pepper? Perhaps you think people should have a good long moment of silent reflection before they post about a jazz topic on, you know, a jazz discussion board? :rolleyes:

If you haven't figured it out, not everyone loves your husband's music, and people might have negative reactions to the title you chose.

Get over it.

while reading some of the comments reg the forthcoming book`s title or Art Pepper in general I`m wondering, whether the discussion regarding the book`s content (or some of Art Pepper`s recordings) will be as "passionate"......whatever will be, discussions like these for sure are at the same time priceless marketing to up book sales.......

Edited by soulpope

Fwiw, I have always loved the music of Art Pepper. One of my original favorite alto saxophonists.

I also very much look forward to reading the new book. Maybe I will get a better perspective on the title once I read the book. I have a very soft and loving place in my heart for addicts who have suffered and suffer as I was and could again be that person.

Peace and Blessings

it's a little disingenuous to go public with such very personal things - like life with Art Pepper - and then complain when there is public discussion or issue. Nothing mean in any of this. As for living our own lives and not others - well, that's fine as long as those other lives are private. But otherwise it's a bit like a politican complaining about scrutiny. If you do work that is exhibited in public in one way or another - like recordings, books, films - it will be scrutinized. And if the work is about YOUR LIFE - as this is - it will also, justifiably, be scrutinized in those very terms.

Edited by AllenLowe

it's a little disingenuous to go public with such very personal things - like life with Art Pepper - and then complain when there is public discussion or issue. Nothing mean in any of this.

didn`t read any reaction about the content (personal things etc) here until the very moment - the only topic discussed reg the book`s was.......it`s TITLE....

it's a little disingenuous to go public with such very personal things - like life with Art Pepper - and then complain when there is public discussion or issue. Nothing mean in any of this. As for living our own lives and not others - well, that's fine as long as those other lives are private. But otherwise it's a bit like a politican complaining about scrutiny. If you do work - recordings, books, films - they are scrutinized. If the work is about YOUR LIFE - as this is - it will also, justifiably, be scrutinized.

I meant nothing mean in what I said...I love Art's music and still rate hearing him at Ronnie Scott's in 1980 as one of my best musical experiences....EVER.

I just ..... DON'T LIKE THE TITLE.

Just noticed this thread.

Art Pepper got me interested in jazz. I was immediately attracted by his passion and lyricism. I was fortunate to see Art a few years before he died; a beautiful event. I've read "Straight Life" and it is an important book for jazz and 'the life" and should be read. I consider myself an Art Pepper fan.

I have no issue with Laurie wanting to tell her own story (as I suppose this is about), or being candid about a "junkie jazzman" (but almost dismissive of the person) but the title does not work for me. Maybe it is the "stuck with" that jars most

In the end I guess the book is what counts, and the proof will be in the reading. And a little heated discussion beforehand can't hurt book sales.

well, that is part of the content. And something of a literary signifier.

ok, believe i have to stop here....still wondering, how manny interesting books would remain unread based on similar views.....

In the end I guess the book is what counts, and the proof will be in the reading. And a little heated discussion beforehand can't hurt book sales.

YES

Edited by soulpope

it's a little disingenuous to go public with such very personal things - like life with Art Pepper - and then complain when there is public discussion or issue. Nothing mean in any of this. As for living our own lives and not others - well, that's fine as long as those other lives are private. But otherwise it's a bit like a politican complaining about scrutiny. If you do work that is exhibited in public in one way or another - like recordings, books, films - it will be scrutinized. And if the work is about YOUR LIFE - as this is - it will also, justifiably, be scrutinized in those very terms.

I think Allen is right on here. I don't mind the title. It's tempting as an author to look only for the negatives, but there have been lots of positives here too. Ms. Pepper needs to chill. If you can't stand the heat.....

gregmo

I'm a big Art Pepper fan. I read "Straight Life" a couple of times and think it's one of the best jazz biographies I've read. I own the "Notes From A Jazz Survivor" DVD and Art's CDs dominate my collection as far as the number of discs I own by a particular artist (52), 12 more than the next closest artist. He's my favorite alto player and I'd even put him on the Mt. Rushmore of greatest alto saxophone players of all time. Having said that, I'm still not a fan of the name given to Laurie's label or the title of her latest book though I look forward to reading it. The title of the new book is intentionally provocative so no one should be surprised that it's going to elicit a wide range of responses and a lot of them are probably going to be negative given that title. Laurie herself said that she knew this was going to happen so I'm a bit puzzled by the degree of offense that seems to have been taken. Were I in her circle of influence I would have advised against both label name and book title but she shouldn't assume that a little blow-back is a rejection of the work. I really don't like the name of her label but I like what the label has put out. i don't like the title of the new book but I look forward to reading it and anticipate liking it.

Edited by mikelz777

it's a little disingenuous to go public with such very personal things - like life with Art Pepper - and then complain when there is public discussion or issue. Nothing mean in any of this. As for living our own lives and not others - well, that's fine as long as those other lives are private. But otherwise it's a bit like a politican complaining about scrutiny. If you do work - recordings, books, films - they are scrutinized. If the work is about YOUR LIFE - as this is - it will also, justifiably, be scrutinized.

I meant nothing mean in what I said...I love Art's music and still rate hearing him at Ronnie Scott's in 1980 as one of my best musical experiences....EVER.

I just ..... DON'T LIKE THE TITLE.

I saw him around that time in London too. It was only for 5 minutes or so at the RFH - with just piano accompaniment I think (possibly Hank Jones) but it remains one of the greatest things I ever heard and the audience was rendered hushed by it, you could hear a pin drop ! Big fan of the 'Straight Life' book too.

I hope that no offence has been taken by comments on this thread as I'm sure that no ill-will was meant and that members here are some of Art's biggest fans on the planet.

Edited by sidewinder

the book title is in extremely poor taste. it will probably dwell on the junkie aspect. but i don't think that you can, or should expect a well written book from a relative/non-professional writer.

she's releasing more cd's than sue mingus ever did, but whereas sue did give us that unknown 64 cornell show, i'd bet that the pepper material is probably not new to collectors. the relatives of dead jazz musicians always have attitude problems.

"Glass houses" syndrome here.

Some of you need to "chillax" as my granddaughter would say.

BTW, I'm a big fan.

Seeing Art in person was always great, & FWIW I believe that Laurie had plenty to do with keeping him functioning.

Edited by jlhoots

I don't have a problem with the book title or the label title; I can appreciate those. I'm not a big Pepper fan though, I really have tried and have a lot of his material, but it' just doesn't do as much for me as it does for others, so I haven't bought any of the Widow's Taste releases, and haven't read the autobio.

maybe with this book title, the author is letting us know that her main intent is to write about how she heroically got him off, and helped him stay off drugs. in that case, the title is fine.

all i remember of the first book is a lot of complaining about crow jim in the jazz world.

>> have tried and have ((had)) a lot of his material>>>

yep.