MPS

dougcrates

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, the Red Garland is the one I never got to hear ... "Auf Wiedersehen" was its title. There was an impressive array of pianists in the MPS catalog.

Oscar Peterson

Jaki Byard

Earl Hines

Hampton Hawes

Barry Harris

Milt Buckner

Clare Fischer

Wolfgang Dauner

Hank Jones

Joachim Kühn

Red Garland

who else?

Tete Montoliu

Eugen Cicero

Martial Solal

Francy Boland

Two Red Garland's, remember? The Quota was the other one. A quartet date w/Jimmy Heath along.

Didn't get to hear Auf Wiedersehen until relatively recently. Pretty nice, but my preference remains for The Quota.

"Auf Wiedersehen" was reissued in Japan in the mid/late nineties....should have this cd somewhere.....

Edited by soulpope

'Auf Wiedersehen' is damn good - was listening to this recently. Really nice later trio date and very well recorded. The Japanese CD re-issue was very well done.

Ironically, the Red Garland is the one I never got to hear ... "Auf Wiedersehen" was its title. There was an impressive array of pianists in the MPS catalog.

Oscar Peterson

Jaki Byard

Earl Hines

Hampton Hawes

Barry Harris

Milt Buckner

Clare Fischer

Wolfgang Dauner

Hank Jones

Joachim Kühn

Red Garland

who else?

Tete Montoliu

Eugen Cicero

Martial Solal

Francy Boland

John Taylor {'Decipher')

George Shearing

Monty Alexander

Edited by sidewinder

The Barry Harris ("Vicissitudes", I think) is pretty good - found it on vinyl a while ago.

Also the Byard/Hines!

agree - very good trio date with George Duvivier and Lerooy Williams....should have this as japanese Teichiku LP, not sure whether this saw ever CD release (in Japan).....

Edited by soulpope

Those Buckner LPs are nice, they groove like mad.

MPS / Saba had a deal with Prestige for a while, Don Schlitten even produced a number of LPs for them, all worth hearing.

And a fair number of Prestige albums were pressed/distributed by Saba in Europe. My copy of Don Patterson's 'Soul happenin'' says, at the bottom; 'Prestige records im Vertrieb der Saba-Schalplatten' etc.

MG

MPS / Saba had a deal with Prestige for a while, Don Schlitten even produced a number of LPs for them, all worth hearing.

And a fair number of Prestige albums were pressed/distributed by Saba in Europe. My copy of Don Patterson's 'Soul happenin'' says, at the bottom; 'Prestige records im Vertrieb der Saba-Schalplatten' etc.

MG

That was before Mikulski, ZYX and others came in. And probably after Metronome handled the distribution/pressing of Prestige records here.

Saba also did some recordings of their own before that line of "Black Forest" recordings became MPS. To sum it up in an oversimplified manner, quite a few 60s SABA recordings/productions are "MPS before there was MPS".

MG

That was before Mikulski, ZYX and others came in. And probably after Metronome handled the distribution/pressing of Prestige records here.

Saba also did some recordings of their own before that line of "Black Forest" recordings became MPS. To sum it up in an oversimplified manner, quite a few 60s SABA recordings/productions are "MPS before there was MPS".

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't make that clear - these are LPs from the 60s, a LOT earlier than Mikulski or ZYX, which I only know from CDs. These were issued around about contemporaneously with the US albums. And for a firm with one foot in the avant garde, were pretty unexpected material for them to issue - I think I'm remembering rightly a Billy Butler, and definitely Frank Foster's 'Soul outing'. These were late sixties/early seventies pressings.

MG

How is the Pat Williams?

Is it straight-ahead, or does it have have any hip now-sound elements?

Neither...it's basically "jazzy" and such TV themes. And such. The Verve stuff & Threshold & that AMN(?) thing are far more statement-al.

Put another way...when it comes time to delete files from my hard drive, this one will be in the first wave. The others, they'll stick around for a little while, except for Vibrations & Threshold, which I have on LP.

And yes, I realize I've done nothing to make you not want to hear it anyway. :g

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20 December 2014 at 10:03 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

For German MPs fans and those who read German around here:

A bit of online coverage today (a bit of typical media blurb nonsense in there but generally sympathetic):

http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.hgbs-studio-in-villingen-warme-toene.7642af34-f9e5-478e-8588-ad4c1a2294d4.html

Thanks - the inbuilt translator worked OK, even though it came across as recited by E.T. !

I would love to have a drink in that bar and check out the mixing desk.

Must dig out that Crippled Dick Hot Wax DVD - filmed not too long after HGBS's passing as I recall.

On 8 October 2014 at 1:52 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

MG

I've at least one Pat Martino Prestige/SABA LP in this format. Very nice pressing !