A Slice of the Top

Jazzmoose

Since there seems to be some demand for this puppy, let's give this a shot: the disc is in nice shape, except that the previous owner (not me, I swear!) fell for that old "green felt pen" chestnut and colored the edge of the disc. Doesn't affect the surface or, much to his chagrin, I'm sure, payback. $20 cash, check, or US postal money order covers the disc and postage. Please respond before I come to my senses....

come on! someone make a remark about mark stating that the felt pen probably affected payback (not pLayback)...

:wacko: Oh my stars and garters! :lol:

Uh...make that playback.... :g

As far as the green pen goes, doesn't anyone else remember this back when CDs first made their appearance? I barely do; supposedly, if you covered the edge of the disc with a green felt pen it "helped focus the laser" or something and "improved the sound quality", or some kind of pseudoscientific con job. Heck, I don't remember. I remember reading about this silliness in some stereo magazine back in the eighties...

come on! someone make a remark about mark stating that the felt pen probably affected payback (not pLayback)...

:wacko: Oh my stars and garters! :lol:

Uh...make that playback.... :g

As far as the green pen goes, doesn't anyone else remember this back when CDs first made their appearance? I barely do; supposedly, if you covered the edge of the disc with a green felt pen it "helped focus the laser" or something and "improved the sound quality", or some kind of pseudoscientific con job. Heck, I don't remember. I remember reading about this silliness in some stereo magazine back in the eighties...

Yes, I remember that. As a matter of fact, I think some of the liners for the early CDs recommended doing that as well.

As far as the green pen goes, doesn't anyone else remember this back when CDs first made their appearance? 

It was propounded by the editor of a monthly titled 'Digital Audio and Stereo Review' in the late 1980s. Supposedly, the green felt marker applied to the side of the disc would prevent the scattering of the laser beam which would then be focussed on the playing side of the disc. Of course, sceptics asked, why green? Why not, blue? The proponents had no coherent reply. Others asked that if the laser could be scattered then why not color the whole inside of the CD player? Again, the green felt proponents had no reply.

The recent 'reverse polarity' proponents carry a similiar credibility as the green felt gang. Urban myths are fascinating.

On the down side, many a CD was ruined by applying the green (and other assorted color markings) to the disc.

'Digital Audio and Stereo Review' went bankrupt around 1990.

Chuck, clearly we must fight to the death.

And your choice of weapons?

I was thinking keyboards, but I normally fight my battles vicariously through others so I'm at a loss.

btw, I reevaluated my opinion on this disc last night on my way home from getting smoked in a racquetball tourney. James Spaulding was the friggin TRUTH. Still can't get with it otherwise. Higgins sounds bored.