Storyville Records

EKE BBB

That sucks. Storyville used to have new interesting stuff coming out every month. Where's the Complete Ellington at Cotton Club 1938 that was promised? New D.E.T.S. volumes? New Ellington stockpile recordings (also promised)? I suspect they don't have the people to pull it off any longer, and have to recycle old stuff instead. Sad.

Anyway, Storyville's text about the Webster box starts with this line:

"More than 35 years after his death Ben Webster’s music remains fresh, contemporary and original"

More than 35 years? Ben Webster died in September 1973.

no, no, when they release the webster-box, it will be more than 35 years ago.....

and i think that they will continue the d.e.t.s. at the 100th anniversary of the first "date with the duke" broadcast......

never give up hope.

keep swingin´

marcel

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to look at a review copy of the Webster box. According to the notes in the booklet, part of the material has not been released before. Some of it is from Webster's private tapes. I got to hear the first disc, which the booklet says is previously unreleased material from the Montmartre. The music was excellent, in pretty good sound. I can't remember all the things on the 8 discs, but I recognize some of the things from private recordings I have traded for. Most of it seems to be extracted from various broadcasts in Europe. The last disc has the "No Fool, No Fun" session which I think was released on vinyl (Spotlite label, perhaps) and then a studio session with Jimmy Rowles that was supposed to be background music for a commercial (I don't remember the details). The book is nicely produced, very handsome with a lot of nice photos. I read over the session notes and I thought they were very well informed and well done but I am by no means an expert on Webster. Among other things in the booklet there is a nice essay by NHOP about working with Webster which I really enjoyed. Again, I only got to spend an hour or so with the set, but my impression was good enough that I will buy this at some point, since I own almost none of this material.

Edited by Pete B

I got to look at a review copy of the Webster box. According to the notes in the booklet, part of the material has not been released before. Some of it is from Webster's private tapes. I got to hear the first disc, which the booklet says is previously unreleased material from the Montmartre. The music was excellent, in pretty good sound. I can't remember all the things on the 8 discs, but I recognize some of the things from private recordings I have traded for. Most of it seems to be extracted from various broadcasts in Europe. The last disc has the "No Fool, No Fun" session which I think was released on vinyl (Spotlite label, perhaps) and then a studio session with Jimmy Rowles that was supposed to be background music for a commercial (I don't remember the details). The book is nicely produced, very handsome with a lot of nice photos. I read over the session notes and I thought they were very well informed and well done but I am by no means an expert on Webster. Among other things in the booklet there is a nice essay by NHOP about working with Webster which I really enjoyed. Again, I only got to spend an hour or so with the set, but my impression was good enough that I will buy this at some point, since I own almost none of this material.

Thanks for that "advance review", Pete.

Can you list the sessions? The Montmartre stuff has been out in many forms so there's a chance that it may have all been issued, just maybe not "officially".

For just for the unissued material alone, I may have to bite, but it would be interesting to know how much of it I already have.

Kevin

Kevin, I'll try to get over to my friend's house soon and copy some details. I remember they claimed the whole first disc was newly issued, taken from 3 hours of tapes found in Ben Webster's estate. It seems they have access to his stock of tapes. I do remember that, according to the booklet, the session with Rowles is newly discovered.

Storyville had sent a small batch of cds for review in addition to the box. The only Warne Marsh was the date with Kenny Drew, previously titled "I've Got a Good One for You". I don't recall what the other titles were, but everything was a rerelease.

I regret the absence of the Ellington Cotton Club material. Although I have this on vinyl, I have long looked forward to a complete issue on cd. Likewise the absense of stockpile material. It's a shame that their access to that material is going to waste.

56 € at amazon.de via big-o (release date: Nov. 5, 07)

and I forgot to say: this looks splendid to me, I don't have lots of Webster - some/most of the Verve material, the Proper box compiling some of the early stuff, the RCA sides with Ellington, of course, but nothing much beyond 1960, except for the splendid Holland Sessions 2CD set on Blue Note and one of the Black Lion LPs with Kenny Drew, which I *love*! So I guess this shall be a great addition!

• 1 month later...

No, it's Chris Olsen, the artist who does all the cover designs. Mona Granager, Anders Stefansen and Chris are great, truly dedicated people who worked for Karl Emil for many years--I have known them personally for decades.

It has been great to see the development of Storyville over the years. Karl was its driving force, a workaholic with an abiding love for the music. As some of you may know, I became involved in Storyville Records shortly after Karl founded it with 3 78rpm reissues. I recorded the label's first original releases, Ken Colyer's Jazzmen, on my tape machine (B&O's first) almost 55 years ago!

Beocord507-myfirst.jpg

BTW, I believe those recordings are still available.

I just hope that the new owners allow Storyville to continue and not just as a rehash label.

Edited by Christiern

• 7 months later...

Worlds Records sent out an email today announcing a 10% off sale and stating:

And, wait, there's still more! Worlds has just come into possession of the remaining inventory of Storyville color label. This venerable Danish label was founded by "Papa" Knudsen and released over 350 titles on the Storyville, Jazz Unlimited, Collectors Classics, Nostalgia Arts and the Duke Ellington Treasury Series (DETS) labels. These titles are no longer being manufactured. When these CDs are gone they won't be available at these prices again. We have been offering Jazz Unlimited, Nostalgia Arts and then DETS for several months and now we have remaining stock of Storyville label as well.

• 1 month later...

Got the Dig Ben box yesterday (bought it rather cheaply from some amazon marketplace vendor) - will take me a while to take it in, even more so as I bought some more montmartre webster from dan gould's sale (the black lions, one of the two discs combining those three lps, one of which I own and love - the second of those (Jan 31, 1965 recordings, I think) I have on order as well, and the other Black Lion is from later in 1965 - all with Drew, NHOP and Alex Riel, one of the tightest backing bands Ben had in his later years, and a mighty swinging one! Me loves some late Ben! Those Holland sessions on that Blue Note 2CD set are great, too! I don't care if it's the best Ben or if it's "great" music at all, I just love that grand playing style of Webster's, on fast romps (Perdido, Sunday, stuff like that) as well as his glorious ripe ballad style. Ben to me is like an old single malt that gets better and better as the years pass by.

• 4 years later...

Upcoming releases on Storyville (recent email from Mona Granager):

-Ben Webster in Norway (not previously released)

-The King Jazz story (4 CD box)

-The Chicago blues (8 CD box)

-Billy Strayhorn (3 CD)

-George Lewis (8 CD box)

-Cathrine Legardh & Brian Kellock - duo

-Sigurdur Flosason & Kjeld Lauritsen

-Haxholm / Kresiberg / Hoenig / Menzies

-Carsten Dahl - Dreamchild

That looks nice!

-The King Jazz story (4 CD box)

-The Chicago blues (8 CD box)

-Billy Strayhorn (3 CD)

-George Lewis (8 CD box)

Would those be re-packings of earlier Storyville releases? And if so, can anyone point out which ones? Never saw any Strayhorn or George Lewis from them, I think!

That looks nice!

Ditto. Would like more info on that, as there is nothing on the Storyville website at the moment.

I did find out about a relatively new release - Jure Pukl - Abstract Society. Vijay Iyer is on piano, so I will want to check it out. It appears eMusic has this, so I will see if I can download tonight. But if anyone has heard it, please weigh in.

Edited by ejp626

I have 6 CDs worth of George Lewis on Storyville.

Sounds of New Orleans Vol. 7

With Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band

Jazz at the Ohio Union (2CDs)

Live at Club Hangover I and II

I don't know what could account for the remaining two CDs in the upcoming set but I've sent an e-mail to Storyville asking for details.

I'll post if I find anything out.

I have 6 CDs worth of George Lewis on Storyville.

Sounds of New Orleans Vol. 7

With Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band

Jazz at the Ohio Union (2CDs)

Live at Club Hangover I and II

I don't know what could account for the remaining two CDs in the upcoming set but I've sent an e-mail to Storyville asking for details.

I'll post if I find anything out.

Could it be material from:

670 195 Paul Barbarin / George Lewis And His Ragtime Band* Jazz From New Orleans

SLP 103 George Lewis (2) A Musical Tour Of New Orleans (LP) Or this may be what's on the Sounds Of New Orleans Volume.

SLP 128 Bunk Johnson's Band With George Lewis (2) 1944 (LP)

SLP 4022 George Lewis (2) In Concert (LP, Album, RE) Is this Hangover material?

Not sure how much George Lewis I really need ... but thanks for the informations, guys!

The Strayhorn looks most interesting, as does the Webster (the later regardless of band or whatever, I just love late Ben, the Dig Ben box is great, even though not all of the music in it is really first rate).