Upcoming Dexter bio by Maxine Gordon

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

My pre-ordered copy is due in mid-December, amazon.de says.

Same here: My wife ordered it for me as a birthday present. I also got the message that the shipping will be in mid dezember, that´s about around my birthday, well if not, I hope I´ll have it for Chrismas. Anyway, during the winter holidays you can´t do so much outdoor, good occasion to read some new jazz bio. And Dexter always has been one of my favourites, life and on records.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So who knew Dex called himself Society Red?  I don't think I ever heard that before starting on the book.  Is it mentioned in the liners to Doin Allright?

Certainly news to me.

The Gordon/Gregg household must have been interesting, with them referring to each other as ‘Red’ this or ‘Red’ that..

Edited by sidewinder

On 30.11.2018 at 11:16 PM, Brad said:

Was actually hoping for a review to turn up, so thanks .... but I'm not quite sure Mr. Hajdu has actually read the book (at least I will not buy one of *his* books, that's for sure), more just flipped around in it and then written what was clear already anyway.

Anyone here has started reading and can share some first impressions?

13 hours ago, king ubu said:

Anyone here has started reading and can share some first impressions?

Toward the end of the chapter on the 1950s now - about 40% of the way thru I'd say.  Writing is workmanlike/functional but info/insight is indispensable.  If I had more time for reading I'd be thru the book a couple of weeks ago.

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Eagerly waiting to check if there is fresh new info on Dexter’s collaborations with Tete. In fact, I provided Maxine with tons of press articles and memorabilia many moons ago... I’m sure she will have made good use of them! :)

There are just two Montoliu listings in the index. One is an admiring description but without detail on their collaborations (other than how many Steeplechase recordings), the other is just in passing. Sorry Agustin!

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

I would be concerned about spending time with a book whose writing is described as “workmanlike.”

It's not lyrical writing and not hyper descriptive like Larry's musings on what someone's improvisations or tone sound like.

It tells the tale with as much insight as we will ever have.