Tom 1960

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

Glad to see I have all of those you showed/recommended. :lol: (And I agree ...)

(BTW, do not overlook "The Changing Faceof Harlem Vol. 1").

In fact this series is one of those rare occurrences where I did buy a spare copy of some of these ("just in case" mine eventually do wear out) when I came across NM copies dirt cheap in a local secondhand record store.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

But the top pick is a great series of Charlie Parker material.

... which over here we first got on the London American label and then on the much cheaper Realm label - which I still have.

19 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

Loving this thread! Keep 'em coming! While I have you felllas on the line, any thoughts on these 2 albums?

6109FPpbx1L._SX355_.jpgMI0001854829.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I have them on another one from that 2-LP series ("2 Franks Please" - Savoy 2249). I pull it out every now and then when I am in kind of a "Basie-ish" listening mood without feeling like going straight to 50s Basie. Nuff said, right? ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

One thing I have noticed in searching locally for  many years for vintage jazz LPs--'50s-'60s era Savoys very rarely turn up. They seem to be the least common independent jazz label to be found in this area (Dallas), in my experience anyway. Was their distribution worse than Prestige or Blue Note or Contemporary or Pacific Jazz? Does anyone on the board have a substantial collection of vintage Savoy pressings?

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

One thing I have noticed in searching locally for  many years for vintage jazz LPs--'50s-'60s era Savoys very rarely turn up. They seem to be the least common independent jazz label to be found in this area (Dallas), in my experience anyway. Was their distribution worse than Prestige or Blue Note or Contemporary or Pacific Jazz? Does anyone on the board have a substantial collection of vintage Savoy pressings?

Interesting observation. Now that I think about it, I don't see as many vintage Savoys as I do other labels, (Reissues are a different story.) FWIW, I have a modest sampling of original Savop LPs, though many of them are related to Detroit (no surprise; I live here and stuff like this shows up in the used stores) -- Yusef, Byrd, Hank, etc.

The only originals I've found in these parts are Opus de Bop, Midnight On Cloud 69, Surf Ride, & Telefunken Blues, the first two in an East Texas cutout bin in the early 70s, the last two in the late 70s at some music/record store in either Hurst or Euless, where the owner was this middle-aged hipster who talked about seeing Red Connors back in the day. That store had all kinds of shit on the racks...

Everything else (if there is any...huh, don't know if there is...) has been found in collector environments. Oh yeah, Jazz For The Thinker, found that one in a South Dallas Goodwill, sweet find, record was in great shape, cover even better.

You can/could much more readily find the Gospel catalog down here back in the day. Savoy had James Cleveland for a good while, and that stuff definitely had more of an audience than, say, Curtis Fuller.

But those jazz LPs other than Bird...was Lubinsky really trying to get those out there past the Eastern seaboard-ish areas, maybe over to Chicago & Detroit, but, like, Albuquerque, huh? or even Miami? That all changed when they went full-Gospel though. No idea how they handled that, but audience widened, significantly.

Remember the classified ad in DB where you could get a Savoy catalog for, like, a dime? I wonder if that's what they did, just wait on those dimes and then see what happened after that.

Here in the SF bay area, in the 1980's, they were not plentiful, but I can't say that they were more difficult to find than many of the other east coast labels (it was definitely easier to find Fantasy, Contemporary, Pac Jazz, etc).  The Bird albums seemed to be the most prevalent Savoys in my experience.  As with most of the "good stuff" on any label, finding a clean copy of anything was fairly uncommon outside of the aforementioned "collector environments".  I also remember the original Savoys as having thick covers whose outer surface tended to get "crispy" around the edges.

Tangential Texas trivia... I used to buy quite a few LP's through a trade publication similar to Goldmine, called DISCoveries.  There was a dealer in Texas (I've forgotten which city) named Calvin Johnson who I did a lot of business with, and who seemed to maintain an impressive ongoing supply of merch.

Don't think that was his name, Calvin Johnson, but I got directed to some guy who lived on the outskirts of the outskirts, if you know what I mean, this guy looked and talked like a farmer, but he had a storage building/small barn in the back of his house that was literally wall to wall/floor to ceiling packed with jazz records. He was a big Herb Ellis fan and his collection steered very heavily in that direction. I was not, so we didn't do business, but my god, this guy had SO many damn records that I had never heard of on labels I had ONLY heard of, where you'd expect to find a tractor, there was a mountain of records, holy shit/WTF?/etc.

Before there were American Pickers, there were American record collectors, who would do the same exact thing. Get a lead, show up, look, and see what developed. Hell, I used to show up at radio stations and ask to look through their library, all these Top 40 stations that had been on the air for a long time, they'd have stuff they didn't even want. The smaller the station, the better the luck, but just saying, records, you find them where THEY are, not where YOU are. Gotta keep that in mind, still.

It's pretty much like fishing, really.

Those Savoy Twofers are just as good and interesting as the ones from the Fantasy group, IMO. Have many of them. The only ones I sold were the Wardell Gray and Dexter Gordon stuff when the complete CD editions were issued. 

JIm, what Johnny Otis box are you talking about?

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Those Savoy Twofers are just as good and interesting as the ones from the Fantasy group, IMO. Have many of them. The only ones I sold were the Wardell Gray and Dexter Gordon stuff when the complete CD editions were issued. 

JIm, what Johnny Otis box are you talking about?

Mike, if you are interested in the Johnny Otis Savoy recordings then I assumme you have the two 2-LP sets "The Original Johnny Otis Show" Vol I and II.

Vol. II was all over the place in the record shops here (you may remember ...) when it was released as a German pressing (distributed by RCA/Ariola) and was quite common for several years but I never saw Vol. I in the shops here and it took me several years to finally get hold of a copy (U.S. pressing).

Those two sets have 64 tracks altogether but as they do not have commercials I assume the contents may not exactly match the box set.

Edited by Big Beat Steve