Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, bresna said:

Well, since I can't see Ricky play live tonight because of the storm, I'm going to spin this: "Songs For My Mother".

Primary

For those that don't know, Ford's mother was killed in the TWA Flight 800 crash that also killed Wayne Shorter's wife Maria in 1996. She sounds like she was something special: https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1996-07-24-9607240343-story.html

Sorry to hear that. 

I haven´t hear Ricky Ford since 1977 when he was with Mingus. The funny thing is that first I was disappointed that it´s not George Adams, but as soon as I heard him, wow........, he could play all styles, from pre bop sounds to boppish and the thing one or two steps beyond......, just great ! 

19 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

My0zNTE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Blakey's Birdland vol. 2 followed up with

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

This Miles Prestige set. So, some classics to start the AM off with. 

I love that early Art Blakey Messengers edition , and some of the compositions still can be heard "Mayree" , "Quicksilver" and the one that´s based on "Lover Come Back to Me"  (Mayree is based on All God´s Chillun Got Rhythm". 

The Miles DAvis Quartet on Prestige: My favourite "Quartet Session"  is "Musings of Miles" which seems to be a pre-birth of the first classic Quintet.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sorry to hear that. 

I haven´t hear Ricky Ford since 1977 when he was with Mingus. The funny thing is that first I was disappointed that it´s not George Adams, but as soon as I heard him, wow........, he could play all styles, from pre bop sounds to boppish and the thing one or two steps beyond......, just great !

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten the chance to see Ford play live more recently. I'm pretty sure that he is still living in France. I think he's been living there for almost 30 years now. I guess he doesn't tour around Europe much?

Edited by bresna

MzEtNjU2Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Giuffre in Graz was too heady this AM for me so: 

Ni05OTYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Moved on to Caliman with this up next: 

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Miles DAvis Quartet on Prestige: My favourite "Quartet Session"  is "Musings of Miles" which seems to be a pre-birth of the first classic Quintet.

Almost all of my Miles on Prestige comes from the Chronicles box set. Once they went in the digital library I assigned the tracks to the assocated albums. I dig that whole box. It was a great intro to Miles for me. 

Blossom Dearie “Soubrette: Sings Broadway Hits” Verve cd

5a222ae0b68957a75d610e0ec9f4b1fe236115b3

I begin to appreciate Blossom Dearie more and more and I haven’t spun this one in a while but I should have. . . it’s fun. Dearie inhabits the characters singing the songs convincingly, even when singing about murdering husbands “to keep her love alive.” :wink: