Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-3841.jpg

I remember spinning this one the first time. I was still living with my parents on the attic room of their house and had a pretty nice stereo set up that my brother left to me when he left the house. I was 17 years old and just getting into the more free kind of jazz. I put on disc one sat down and was stunned for the coming 50 minutes. I had never heard something like that before. The version of Afro Blue remains the best with the Classic Quartet IMO. The interruption remains very annoying.

Edited by Pim

1 minute ago, Pim said:

IMG-3841.jpg

I remember spinning this one the first time. I was still living with my parents on the attic room of their house and had a pretty nice stereo set up that my brother left to me when he left the house. I was 17 years old and just getting into the more free kind of jazz. I put on disc one sat down and was stunned for the coming 50 minutes. I had never heard something like that before. The version of Afro Blue remains the best with the Classic Quartet IMO

Nice to read a story about the first impressions of a certain record. My youth was similar to yours. And in my case I think it was Coltranes "Live at the Village Vanguard Again", the one with Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane , Rashied Ali. And I had similar feelings with all my first 60´s avantgarde albums: Sun Ra´s "Nothing Is", Pharoah Sanders "Live at the East", Ornette Coleman´s "Empty Foxhole). 

It is strange that my main preferences were 40´s bebop and 60´s free jazz. 

17 hours ago, mikeweil said:

NjctMTcyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

I think I have that, with those long tracks . It´s great horn playing, but somehow something from the rhythm section (bass and drums) is missing for me. It sounds incredible straight and metronomelike from the rhythm. Dex and Gray are extraordinary, Howard McGhee is one of my favourites, maybe I´m not a big fan of Sonny Criss in comparation to them. 

9 hours ago, bresna said:

I just finished playing my favorite Horace Silver recording, "The Hardbop Grandpop". It's just a fun record and swings like hell. Silver's bouncy piano is well placed in the mix and the band is tight. And what a band - with Claudio Roditi, Steve Turre, Michael Brecker, Ronnie Cuber, Ron Carter & Lewis Nash.

Primary

A reminder to self to dig this one out. Those late period Horace’s are fun !

45 minutes ago, BillF said:

👍

👍

Now playing:

an-afternoon-at-birdland.jpg

Reminds me of the gig where JJ was deploying his slide right over my head ! Any other trombonist I would have been worried but, no sweat, JJ’s movements were with absolute precision.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Fun indeed! Jazz has a sense of humor!

Reminds me of the gig where JJ was deploying his slide right over my head ! Any other trombonist I would have been worried but, no sweat, JJ’s movements were with absolute precision.

Rosolino is said to have used the slide very little in view of what came out. A trombonist told me it's all to do with lip pressure.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I saw JJ a few times and at a couple of those shows, I was at the front and I had his slide glide over my head too. :)

Now playing disc 3 from Buck Clayton's jam session box from the Mosaic set. 2 takes of "How Hi The Fi" & "Blue Moon". I find it weird that this set is now selling so cheap on discogs. There's one there for US buyers for under $70. A few years back, this CD set was regularly selling for close to $250.

Primary

My Buck Clayton Mosaic CD copy came from the sale direct from the horse’s mouth (M Cuscuna) when he was selling sets on eBay and had a real low number. For $99 I think - worth every cent !

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

I saw JJ a few times and at a couple of those shows, I was at the front and I had his slide glide over my head too. :)

Yeah, at the front too in the cramped environs of the NY Blue Note. Jon Hendricks and band were also on the bill.

I recall that the fine pianist Renee Rosnes was in the band for at least 2 of the engagements I caught with JJ. Ralph Moore also on tenor.

61T0Eb38KAL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Uptown CD

Edited by sidewinder

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, at the front too in the cramped environs of the NY Blue Note. Jon Hendricks and band were also on the bill.

I saw JJ several times at The Regattabar in Cambridge, MA. Me & my friend Rob were regulars back then, so we had our table that we almost always got (243 maybe?). It was front & center. JJ's slide has been a fun story I tell people about when they ask about my favorite Jazz shows. One (all?) of those shows had Renee Rosnes at the piano. She was fantastic and those shows are why I try to never miss her when she come through Boston/Cambridge.

Another funny story was when Arthur Taylor's Wailers came to the R'Bar and they pushed Arthur's drum kit into the crowd right where we sat. I was about 4 feet from Arthur. Luckily, he didn't bash those cymbals too much. :)

Edited by bresna

My family party once had a table next to Elvin Jones’ drumkit. That was something else !

Yeah, Renee Rosnes is great. One of those appearances had Rufus Reid on bass and I think Peter Washington was on at least one of the others. In addition to NYC I caught the Quintet in Western Canada.

Can even recall one of the tunes JJ played over my head - ‘Lament’ !

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Nice to read a story about the first impressions of a certain record. My youth was similar to yours. And in my case I think it was Coltranes "Live at the Village Vanguard Again", the one with Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane , Rashied Ali. And I had similar feelings with all my first 60´s avantgarde albums: Sun Ra´s "Nothing Is", Pharoah Sanders "Live at the East", Ornette Coleman´s "Empty Foxhole). 

It is strange that my main preferences were 40´s bebop and 60´s free jazz. 

Thanks Gheorghe I felt inspired by your personal stories ;) I don't think it's a strange combination of preferences. Both bebop as freejazz have something in common though they sound very different. I always felt they are the subgenres of jazz that are less focused on music as entertainment and more on music as an artform which would also explain that they are both experienced as harder to listen to. But that's just my observation.

Just now, sidewinder said:

My family party once had a table next to Elvin Jones’ drumkit. That was something else !

Eardrums still intact?