• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Revisiting a couple of Harrison Bankhead recordings - the first is with Ed Wilkerson, Mars Williams & Avreeayl Ra

A1djAjDWxWL._SX522_.jpg

and the second one adds James Sanders on violin Ernie Adams on percussion

61-cHchQmgL.jpg

Having lost Harrison recently and cheering for Mars as he battles his cancer, I'm ..........................

8 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Revisiting a couple of Harrison Bankhead recordings - the first is with Ed Wilkerson, Mars Williams & Avreeayl Ra

A1djAjDWxWL._SX522_.jpg

and the second one adds James Sanders on violin Ernie Adams on percussion

61-cHchQmgL.jpg

Having lost Harrison recently and cheering for Mars as he battles his cancer, I'm ..........................

I didn't know about Williams having cancer.  I saw him a few years ago in a duo with Vandermark and he was fantastic.  He has a huge sound.  I just Googled, discovered the GoFundMe and donated.

Thelonious Monk “The Classic Quartet” Candid cd 2023

After waffling I decided to order this new cd even though I do have a budget early cd of this in storage. This new remaster certainly would sound better than that cd in a side by side comparison. And it’s a great performance.

On the same day in Tokyo the Monk Quartet did this tv show performance, and a concert released by Columbia/Sony as a 2 disc set. The latter is stereo, this TV performance was recorded in mono.

f46b6d8b351df14c90fa1a5bd0fc221f1eb62f24

I always enjoy any of the iterations of this cooperative and the Mingus Dynasty.  Saw the Mingus Dynasty live once at the Painted Bride Art Center when they had Jack Walrath, Joshua Redman, John Hicks, Michael Formanek, Alex Foster (forget the others) and it was an outstanding show.

Mingus Big Band - Live in Tokyo at the Blue Note Album Reviews, Songs &  More | AllMusic