Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/2/2023 at 2:13 AM, kh1958 said:

Really? Back in the day when it was released, it seemed like a long wait after Changes One and Two, and I was disappointed at first. But I grew to like the record, since I enjoy all of the added guitarists--Larry Coryell, Philip Catherine and John Scofield. Listening again after a good while, I found I enjoyed it even more, though it's not one of his masterpiece records

Charles Mingus, Cumbia and Jazz Fusion (Changes box set)image.jpeg.379dee4d8391ae259269217ff256f273.jpeg

Yes, it´s strange there was such a long gap after "Changes". During those years I was buying all new albums of musicians I saw live, and there was two years of no new Mingus album. And then came 2 in one year. 
At first hearing I was also a bit puzzled about the use of fusion guitarists like Larry Coryell and most of all, I didn´t understand why they used a second bass on some tracks (with all due respect to Ron Carter, but his interfering with Mingus´ fast walking bass on "Nobody Knows" is just disturbing. 

I still remember the live performances of both "Three or Four Shades of the Blues" and "Cumbia". But I think I remember "Cumbia" was releast a bit later so I wondered what that tune is, which Mingus announced as "something from a Movie Score we just recorded". The live versions were more exiting than the studio versions !!!

I looked at it like those guitarists were making their own records, so if I wanted to hear them, I could buy those.

But I found a promo LP cheap and bought it anyway. 

I was greatly relieved that Cumbia and Jazz Fusion was what it was. 

The Vandermark 5 – Burn The Incline

R-611716-1296040476.jpg

Vandermark could really write.

Now on to this:

Slim Gaillard And Bam Brown / Meade Lux Lewis – Opera In Vout / Boogie Woogie At The Philharmonic

R-16199256-1605133143-1252.jpg.3ef5e49ca5e4eff87ea3e5d368e8becc.jpg

Someone recently posted a video of Slim Gaillard and Bam Brown singing Dunkin' Bagel to Twitter and Instagram, which on the one hand set off the usual run of half chewed political takes, but on the other reminded me to play this.

46 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Ny00ODUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

The only complete CD issue of Shearing's Savoy recordings. All others omitt "George's Boogie" that was on a rare 78.

BTW: The track listing on the tray card is nonsense. Discogs shows the correct sequence: https://www.discogs.com/release/4719602-George-Shearing-So-Rare

Have the quintet recordings on Savoy 12093. The rest seem to be trio recordings?

This is a fantastic set I have had first on cd and then bought on LP five years ago. I love this music! Such variety, and all fun to listen to.

Last month Dusty Groove in Chicago offered this LP set for about a third of what I paid for mine and I grabbed it. Turned out to be a previously unplayed mint set. I mailed it to my best friend in Texas, avant-garde and jazz trumpeter Dave Laczko and he’s really enjoying it so I thought I would join in. Now listening to sides G and H.

Duke Ellington “Complete 1947-1952” CBS France 6 LP set

f3eb207b16b881909679ec3a98d986e8f67e4def