• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Zorn - Bar Kokhba

Bar_Kokhba_(album_cover).jpg.d9aafc38ab76a19ae16920ad27d549f6.jpg

I have never actually listened to this one until now, despite its status as a modern jazz classic in some circles.

I generally like Masada more than most Zorn, particularly live Masada, but something about the wider Masada project rankled with me. I find the approach to naming the tracks with seemingly randomly chosen Hebrew and Aramaic technical terms or names quite irritating for some reason.

Anyway, enjoying this one today, at least in bits.

36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

John Zorn – O´o (Tzadik, 2009)R-1887432-1256132607.jpg.cdb8b1058d4de5b3e8599e38340c21f7.jpg

This one is very popular among reddit jazz fans.

And me

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

John Zorn - Bar Kokhba

Bar_Kokhba_(album_cover).jpg.d9aafc38ab76a19ae16920ad27d549f6.jpg

I have never actually listened to this one until now, despite its status as a modern jazz classic in some circles.

I generally like Masada more than most Zorn, particularly live Masada, but something about the wider Masada project rankled with me. I find the approach to naming the tracks with seemingly randomly chosen Hebrew and Aramaic technical terms or names quite irritating for some reason.

Anyway, enjoying this one today, at least in bits.

Saw that live, really good. One of my favourite Zorn's. I had the full run of the quartet discs, lost them 

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

And me

It's good. The list is long, but I've got The Gift in there too, which I'm told is similar.

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Saw that live, really good. One of my favourite Zorn's. I had the full run of the quartet discs, lost them 

It is good. Some bits are more impressive than others but the bits that are good are really good.

Maybe I'm feeling generous but it is fun to suddenly have all these records to play with.

3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

46401152iu.jpg

👍

42 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I needed a nice jolt. This music is like what I imagine a stiff drink is to those who do stiff drinks.

I just love every second of this music that I have been listening to for nearly fifty years.

Miles Davis “E.S.P.” Sony SRCS 9709 lp facsimile DSD remastered cd

cb80aff3d4965a42c63681702d2962eef34afd5a

👍

Now:

Primary

Primary

John Zorn - Locus Solus

IMG_0334.jpeg.d48bcc5da8041f2f5be430e990f76a3f.jpeg

I came to Zorn and his NY chums so many years before discovering other forms of improvisation from the 1980s that it hadn’t really occurred to me before that he chronologically came up as part of the second gen of free improvisers, like Beresford, Toop and Kondo.

Anthony Braxton, Milford Graves, and William Parker - Beyond Quantum (Tzadik, 2008)

IMG_0335.jpeg

I’m less impressed by this one than I had hoped it might be. I tread quite carefully with both Braxton and Parker, and here they do seem to be simply producing more of the same, at least to my ears. You can normally rely on Graves to shake that out of someone, but not always, I guess. 

Edited by Rabshakeh