• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad I pulled this one from the shelves, been a while. Enjoying Lionel Loueke on guitar a lot today. 

The sun is shining! I need to take Fiona for a walk after this.

Joe Lovano and Us Five "Cross Culture" Blue Note cd.

Joe-Lovano-Cross-Culture.jpg

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers “Just Coolin’” Blue Note cd

This was a rejected session that finally saw the light of day this decade. Not as polished as some sessions but good tunes and playing and sound.

[IMG]

I remember some people were disappointed with this one when it was released,  but I really like it. 👍

Now:

a2047271467_2.jpg

Trust-cover.jpg

Sticking with the Piano Trio structure .... recorded @ Clinton Studios, N.Y.C on February 24th, 1993 ....this session documents a more extroverted Richie Beirach .... and the rhythm tandem of Dave Holland + Jack DeJohnette is fabulous ....

I posted elsewhere (under "Discography") with a query about the RLR label. I don't know if the material from Newport in 1955 has been issued elsewhere, but the sound on it is not too bad. Anyway, some great Clifford on this thing, wherever it comes from.

61pyIs6JiFL._SY355_.jpg

Yusef Lateef, Roscoe Mitchell, Adam Rudolph and Douglas R. Ewart – Voice Prints

a3681734562_65.jpeg

It was never going to live up to the line up. But hey.

Now onto this:

Naftule Brandwein – King Of The Klezmer Clarinet

R-5363695-1547725485-9602.jpg.fde5a6182918a0522e9c2ad3cd4c7f56.jpg

A much-loved comp that I owned on CD in my younger days. In the wake of Tzadik going streamable I've been listening to a lot of rather tepid modern records in this vein. It's nice to go back to the real thing, Tate.

Edited by Rabshakeh

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-9221004-1476903551-6778.jpg

Recorded at Victor Studios, Tokyo on September 25th, 1976 .... subtle Piano Trio sessions which grows rather slowly but sustainably .... btw excellent sound quality ....

Very interesting how you describe the music. I always welcome writers who not only post an album cover but make their own statements about it.

My impression about Duke Jordan is the same as yours. You have to have patience and calmness to apreciate his work. He does not have the flow and swing that Bud Powell had, and was badly dissed by Miles Davis, but his intros to Bird-Standards got legendary. He doesn´t have as much emotion in his playing like Bud had, and his disciples Walter Bishop or Kenny Drew and Horace Silve had, but if you listen closely, it´s a very fine miniature art. 

I don´t have trio albums by him, but have solo´s of him on a 1976 Cecil Payne album and on a late 80´s "Birdology" with McLean, Griffin, Cecil Payne or so. On that "Birdology" is also a trio number "Don´t Blame Me" I think......

34 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Very interesting how you describe the music. I always welcome writers who not only post an album cover but make their own statements about it.

My impression about Duke Jordan is the same as yours. You have to have patience and calmness to apreciate his work. He does not have the flow and swing that Bud Powell had, and was badly dissed by Miles Davis, but his intros to Bird-Standards got legendary. He doesn´t have as much emotion in his playing like Bud had, and his disciples Walter Bishop or Kenny Drew and Horace Silve had, but if you listen closely, it´s a very fine miniature art. 

I don´t have trio albums by him, but have solo´s of him on a 1976 Cecil Payne album and on a late 80´s "Birdology" with McLean, Griffin, Cecil Payne or so. On that "Birdology" is also a trio number "Don´t Blame Me" I think......

Thnx for the feedback .... Duke Jordan in Piano Trio format during the 70's is well documented via SteepleChase .... heard them all, but it is said album which unfolds sort of analytical view on the pianist’s ideas ....

Warmer this morning! We'll have a bit of warmth before going cold again.

All this talk about Eddie Higgins so I pulled a few from the shelves. This one is a nice one.

Eddie Higgins "Time on my Hands" Arbors Jazz cd

[IMG]

Edited by jazzbo