So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Cecil Taylor “Unit Structures” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

21f3388e17b7da687dc46bfa9c682cb0598cd7a1

Oh I love it ! Those classic free jazz LPs were the thing that was around when I was a kid and became interested in that music. All those great artists, and this is one of the most beautiful examples. I love the sound of Jimmy Lyons, he is one of my favourite sounds on alto ! 

7 hours ago, felser said:

image.jpeg.1751af4c8e996576911224a556da3d88.jpeg

I think I have that, but with another cover with George Coleman on it. The only thing is that it has to much treble and you hear only the cymbals of the drum set and not very much more traps work. I think it has or had two long tracks, one might have been "On the Trail" which was quite en vogue at that time as a tune that can be played with more modal feeling...

• Replies 79.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have that, but with another cover with George Coleman on it. The only thing is that it has to much treble and you hear only the cymbals of the drum set and not very much more traps work. I think it has or had two long tracks, one might have been "On the Trail" which was quite en vogue at that time as a tune that can be played with more modal feeling...

Almost all of the tracks are very long on this 2CD set.  The Left Bank recordings have never had good fidelity, but the music on this one is spectacular, may be the best Wynton Kelly I've ever heard.

2 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I've purchased this music (quite) a few times  since the late '70's-This is hands down my favorite edition.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.   Guess I need to add it to my list!  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

On 4/29/2024 at 2:23 AM, jazzbo said:

Art Tatum “Jewels in the Treasure Box–The 1953 Chicago Blue Note Jazz Club Recordings” Resonance Records 3 cd set, disc 1

aaba9b51cde322c22762e0254095b626c5d63573

What an exciting release! A great trio in great sound (for a 1953 club recording).

I listened to disc one of that set earlier today! Excellent indeed. This one came today, and I've been enjoying a bit of fun melodrama from Little Jimmy Scott:

51ABzveK6nL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.webp

Really any Scott is great. I used to focus on the early stuff (the Savoy box is really good) and then the late Scott "clicked" and that is really something ("Heaven" with Jacky Terrasson is really good).