So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Half of this one last night and the second half this morning. My listening companion Fiona the miniature dachshund does NOT like this one; the everywhere, all at once drumming from the two drummers and the freaky deaky guitar bits just don’t let her relax. But I like it.

Joe Lovano/UsFive “Cross Culture” Blue Note cd

51ed5d3421fe0884e05e927ff8bbb4bbd3059282

Nicole Herzog Septet featuring Adrian Mears “Time will Tell”

Fiona likes this one a lot more.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bobby Hutcherson - Conception: The Gift Of Love (Columbia). This comes across as an early attempt at smooth jazz. Not really my favorite Hutcherson but not Kenny G-level terrible either. Until a post a few days ago, I forgot about this 2 CD set that I bought several years ago. I'll probably go back to forgetting about it again. :)

Bobby Hutcherson - Conception: The Gift Of Love - Bobby Hutcherson -  Conception: The Gift Of Love - Amazon.com Music

Edited by bresna

Bob Weir “Ace” 50th Anniversary 2 cd set, disc 2

0afa9aec09b3ccfcda36dafbc097c2dc43a58f3b

d915bb8eba065d7aa12ff0541edd8f8ce2192c01

This second disc is a live version of the album recorded at Radio City Music Hall on April 2 and 3, 2022. The album features Weir and his band, Wolf Bros, with special guests Tyler Childers and Brittney Spencer.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus “Tijuana Moods” Classic Records gold cd

c78a958477046654fc4dbfc360994a74cf4f2204

My favorite sounding version of this awesome album. This one and “East Coasting” battle in my mind as the favorite Mingus album.

Everything Mingus did was great. 

But it´s interesting to compare different approaches to Mingus. 
In my case the Mingus 3 LP set of a Paris Concert in 1964 with Dolphy was my first Mingus listening and actually the second record I owned as a boy. And then those Atlantic Albums with George Adams - Don Pullen came out. And shortly after that hearing Mingus live with the 1976-77 touring band.
So in my case, purchasing "Tjuana Moods" sounded quite "tame", since then I didn´t really know the historical thing and associated Mingus with bursts into atonality, very very much tension and emotion. 
I remember when I first heard some of the Tijuana Mood (it must have been after Mingus´ death) it sounded like an early forerunner of "Cumbia and Jazz Fusion", but shorter and more quiet. That´s how I think I remember it. But that must have been shortly after Mingus´ death....