Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Do you know late in his life he kind of went crazy and dismissed Os Afro Sambas as "devil music?"

I'd read that he'd converted to evangelical Christianity -- at least in some part to help him deal with his heavy drinking habit.  So it's not too surprising that the Candomblé stuff was off-the-table after that.  He may have been crazy too, but I think there was some logic to his decision -- assuming he had embraced conservative, "born again" Christianity.  That's just part of the deal. 

Living in the South, and growing up in my family that I did, I get it; it's consistent with the way they think about the world -- even though I don't hold those views myself.

Tolstoy repudiated War & Peace and Anna Karenina when got older, also for religious reasons -- although he wasn't embracing a traditional religious perspective like Powell did.  It seems nutty, but I suppose it made sense to him at the time.

Honestly, sometimes you just got to ignore what artists say and focus on what they've made, their art.  

Next up?  Big surprise!

61vn-VcydcL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

MPS created such striking, memorable covers for Powell's albums.

Very much of their time, but fantastic.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I'd read that he'd converted to evangelical Christianity -- at least in some part to help him deal with his heavy drinking habit.  So it's not too surprising that the Candomblé stuff was off-the-table after that.  He may have been crazy too, but I think there was some logic to his decision -- assuming he had embraced conservative, "born again" Christianity.  That's just part of the deal.

General comment, not specifically directed at HutchFan:  Look up Candomble - it's very very dark and troubling.  Spirit possession, animal sacrifices, etc.  Same with Santeria.  Spirit world exists or it doesn't, right?  But saying you believe it isn't so doesn't necessarily make it that way.   Denouncing Candomble isn't crazy, regardless of what you choose to believe.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

General comment, not specifically directed at HutchFan:  Look up Candomble - it's very very dark and troubling.  Spirit possession, animal sacrifices, etc.  Same with Santeria.  Spirit world exists or it doesn't, right?  But saying you believe it isn't so doesn't necessarily make it that way.   Denouncing Candomble isn't crazy, regardless of what you choose to believe.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms, but it looks like I have.

There would be all sorts of huge, difficult issues to unpack if we were to dive into this topic -- volatile things like racism, slavery, and colonialism.  Given our forum's ban on discussions related to politics and religion, I suggest that we drop it.

Fair enough?  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

28 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I didn't mean to open a can of worms, but it looks like I have.

There would be all sorts of huge, difficult issues to unpack if we were to dive into this topic -- volatile things like racism, slavery, and colonialism.  Given our forum's ban on discussions related to politics and religion, I suggest that we drop it.

Fair enough?  :) 

👍