Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Have you heard other releases from this label?

Yes! It’s a wonderful label full of surprises.
I’ve been working my way through it for the past couple of
years. It actually started for me with this release below of
music from Rwanda and then it wound its way thru Russia,
Serbia, and so forth. It used to be hard to track down ethnic
folk releases like you’d find on labels like Ocora, Folkways,
Lyrichord … but to see catalogs like this these days is
pretty exciting for me. I’m happy to be associated with,
again, a radio station that allows me to work recordings
like these into shows.

image.jpeg.664d8b45547482f5ea46bb36e6dbbd79.jpeg

Edited by rostasi

Shades of Night–The Trombone Sytlings of Jack Teagarden, arranged by Sid Feller” Capitol mono LP

cfaf181d4b8a405c48dd2be2b443c4a113670223

I bought another mono copy of this and am listening to it. It came in a lot of four Teagarden LPs and the cover is so much glossier and vivid than the other mono copy I have had for years. (I have a stereo version on cd in the Mosaic Capitol set–one day I’ll get a stereo LP as these Capitol sides of this time sound so damned good!)

This is a session that has grown on me over the years. The arrangements are neither bad nor good, for the most part they are just launching pads and cushions for Jack’s amazing trombone playing. I love his sound and his unique phrasing and the vocal quality of his trombone sound–Jack has the amazing ability to sing as he plays and play as he sings–and do both at a very high level. I just love his musical mind.

Edited by jazzbo

7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Shades of Night–The Trombone Sytlings of Jack Teagarden, arranged by Sid Feller” Capitol mono LP

cfaf181d4b8a405c48dd2be2b443c4a113670223

I bought another mono copy of this and am listening to it. It came in a lot of four Teagarden LPs and the cover is so much glossier and vivid than the other mono copy I have had for years. (I have a stereo version on cd in the Mosaic Capitol set–one day I’ll get a stereo LP as these Capitol sides of this time sound so damned good!)

This is a session that has grown on me over the years. The arrangements are neither bad nor good, for the most part they are just launching pads and cushions for Jack’s amazing trombone playing. I love his sound and his unique phrasing and the vocal quality of his trombone sound–Jack has the amazing ability to sing as he plays and play as he sings–and do both at a very high level. I just love his musical mind.

I never owned any Teagarden albums, though I did see him many, many years ago in a touring band with Earl Hines, Cozy Cole, Peanuts Hucko and Jack Lesberg. As for records, I recall him on albums with Bobby Hackett, like this:

ab67616d0000b273c5c7fbc118d1a02f33ae9802

Jack is perhaps at his very best when with musicians of great caliber who inspire him to really bring it. But his own recordings are well worth seeking out--the Capitol, Roulette and Verve are excellent.

Following up with another Jackson.

Jack Teagarden “Mis’ry and the Blues” Verve mono LP

I just had to buy a mono version of this release. I have had both mono and stereo LPs of both of his other two (excellent) Verve releases and there is a significant enough difference between them (both great) to own both versions and I had to experience that duality with this title (perhaps my favorite).

It has a great balance of band and Jack both singing and playing trombone. And a nice balance of punch and swing. Love this music so much! Don Goldie plays great trumpet on this date as well.

a3c864bf9a8c093a4b98a04a2bf489943674dd28