Jump to content

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?


JSngry

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ha ha!  Brilliantly described!

There are two versions of Vampyros Lesbos - one with 14 tracks and one with 17.  I have the CD with 14 tracks, but then bought the other three as lossless downloads from Qobuz.  Try to get the longer version if you can find it.  The tracks feature unusual juxtapositions of funk beats, brass, sitars, and wordless vocals.  I never get tired of it, but at the same time, I generally only listen in October.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 77.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • soulpope

    8737

  • Peter Friedman

    7546

  • HutchFan

    7267

  • BillF

    5533

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Michael_Franks_Watching_the_Snow_CD.jpg.27982ad16da07f9ff150b00383595577.jpg

I've only discovered Michael Franks recently. I'm not a huge fan, but I really can't believe how much his stuff was ripped off by so many of those British Columbia indie bands that Pitchfork Media so desperately wanted to marry in the 00s, without anyone ever mentioning his name.

That Kaputt album by Dan Bejar was a particular example.

 

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ha ha!  Brilliantly described!

There are two versions of Vampyros Lesbos - one with 14 tracks and one with 17.  I have the CD with 14 tracks, but then bought the other three as lossless downloads from Qobuz.  Try to get the longer version if you can find it.  The tracks feature unusual juxtapositions of funk beats, brass, sitars, and wordless vocals.  I never get tired of it, but at the same time, I generally only listen in October.

Sorry, but Michael Franks' voice and his annoying lyrics drove me crazy when my station played him to death in the early 1990s. Especially "Popsicle Toes" and "When the Cookie Jar is Empty," or whatever that song was called.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Mahalia, With Love” James Brandon Lewis/Red Lily Quintet

I got this a month ago and started listening to it. I definitely was not feeling it. It seemed like someone fabricating a work like someone else’s. Re-visiting it tonight I am past that and enjoying it!

18debb7324cb55d16bca04f22d55c5dff7c96ed5

 
 
 
 
 
 
ShareBookmarkFlagReply
 

 

Tracking
40 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

 

Sorry, but Michael Franks' voice and his annoying lyrics drove me crazy when my station played him to death in the early 1990s. Especially "Popsicle Toes" and "When the Cookie Jar is Empty," or whatever that song was called.

 

Me no likey as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

 

Sorry, but Michael Franks' voice and his annoying lyrics drove me crazy when my station played him to death in the early 1990s. Especially "Popsicle Toes" and "When the Cookie Jar is Empty," or whatever that song was called.

I didn’t say I liked him. 

Sorry for your trauma. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3667838738.jpeg

Ray Brown was one of the leaders of post war bass, maybe the greatest. I´m mostly interested in his work before he jumped on the "Granz-Wagon" , with Diz, Bird and so on. 

In his later years I had the impression that he turned up his amp on a very loud volume. I like a good bass sound, but I think that was a bit too much of volume for the bass. 

I had seen Benny Green when he was with Art Blakey. That was a helluva band, but most of us listeners here in Viena was quite surprised that a little guy who looked much more like a college boy plays so much piano, and fast and hip and quick. He was the surprise of the evening. 

I don´t really know about drummer Jeff Hamilton, maybe he worked in other contexts than what I usually listen to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I had seen Benny Green when he was with Art Blakey. That was a helluva band, but most of us listeners here in Viena was quite surprised that a little guy who looked much more like a college boy plays so much piano, and fast and hip and quick. He was the surprise of the evening. 

Me too in Hildesheim + Wallace Roney, Javon Jackson, Julian Priester and Peter Washington. Art Blakey always looked at Benny Green with a smile!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The New John Handy Quintet “New View” Columbia / Koch cd

 

94d429de1989f83773a588d747976313849018ae
 
Talk online of Handy made me seek this one out from the shelves. What a band! Albert Stinson was taken from us too soon.

Alto Saxophone – John Handy
Bass – Albert Stinson
Drums – Doug Sides
Guitar – Pat Martino
Vibraphone – Bobby Hutcherson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Me too in Hildesheim + Wallace Roney, Javon Jackson, Julian Priester and Peter Washington. Art Blakey always looked at Benny Green with a smile!

oh very interesting, I would have liked to see that edition.

In my case it was in the late 80´s and it was Javon Jackson if I remember right, and it was Peter Washington I think, but no Roney and no Julian Priester which I would have liked to hear. 

I don´t remember who was the trumpet player , the trombone player I think was a very young guy, but they all was great and yeah, Benny Green. The only white guy I had seen until then in a Blakey band was the Russian trumpet player Valeriu Ponomarev. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

More John Handy. . . “Mosaic Select” disc 1

The famous concert album.

74ca92d768d9736f5a29d061f942e1a7814a5282

The booklet for this one contained the following "Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."  It's a shame Mosaic didn't get around to that release.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dougcrates said:

The booklet for this one contained the following "Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."  It's a shame Mosaic didn't get around to that release.  

I guess. . .there's still hope!

Chick Corea + Origin “A Week at the Blue Note” disc 2

 

84241986d9225d96867ef286dabfa75db4265c4d
 

I really love this box set. Great music in sound that makes you feel you are there if you use your imagination.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...