So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

22 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ha ha!  Brilliantly described!

There are two versions of Vampyros Lesbos - one with 14 tracks and one with 17.  I have the CD with 14 tracks, but then bought the other three as lossless downloads from Qobuz.  Try to get the longer version if you can find it.  The tracks feature unusual juxtapositions of funk beats, brass, sitars, and wordless vocals.  I never get tired of it, but at the same time, I generally only listen in October.

Thanks!

• Replies 79.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Michael_Franks_Watching_the_Snow_CD.jpg.27982ad16da07f9ff150b00383595577.jpg

I've only discovered Michael Franks recently. I'm not a huge fan, but I really can't believe how much his stuff was ripped off by so many of those British Columbia indie bands that Pitchfork Media so desperately wanted to marry in the 00s, without anyone ever mentioning his name.

That Kaputt album by Dan Bejar was a particular example.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ha ha!  Brilliantly described!

There are two versions of Vampyros Lesbos - one with 14 tracks and one with 17.  I have the CD with 14 tracks, but then bought the other three as lossless downloads from Qobuz.  Try to get the longer version if you can find it.  The tracks feature unusual juxtapositions of funk beats, brass, sitars, and wordless vocals.  I never get tired of it, but at the same time, I generally only listen in October.

Sorry, but Michael Franks' voice and his annoying lyrics drove me crazy when my station played him to death in the early 1990s. Especially "Popsicle Toes" and "When the Cookie Jar is Empty," or whatever that song was called.

For Mahalia, With Love” James Brandon Lewis/Red Lily Quintet

I got this a month ago and started listening to it. I definitely was not feeling it. It seemed like someone fabricating a work like someone else’s. Re-visiting it tonight I am past that and enjoying it!

18debb7324cb55d16bca04f22d55c5dff7c96ed5

ShareBookmarkFlagReply

Tracking
40 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Sorry, but Michael Franks' voice and his annoying lyrics drove me crazy when my station played him to death in the early 1990s. Especially "Popsicle Toes" and "When the Cookie Jar is Empty," or whatever that song was called.

Me no likey as well.

5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I didn’t say I liked him. 

Sorry for your trauma. 

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3667838738.jpeg

Ray Brown was one of the leaders of post war bass, maybe the greatest. I´m mostly interested in his work before he jumped on the "Granz-Wagon" , with Diz, Bird and so on. 

In his later years I had the impression that he turned up his amp on a very loud volume. I like a good bass sound, but I think that was a bit too much of volume for the bass. 

I had seen Benny Green when he was with Art Blakey. That was a helluva band, but most of us listeners here in Viena was quite surprised that a little guy who looked much more like a college boy plays so much piano, and fast and hip and quick. He was the surprise of the evening. 

I don´t really know about drummer Jeff Hamilton, maybe he worked in other contexts than what I usually listen to. 

32 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I had seen Benny Green when he was with Art Blakey. That was a helluva band, but most of us listeners here in Viena was quite surprised that a little guy who looked much more like a college boy plays so much piano, and fast and hip and quick. He was the surprise of the evening. 

Me too in Hildesheim + Wallace Roney, Javon Jackson, Julian Priester and Peter Washington. Art Blakey always looked at Benny Green with a smile!

The New John Handy Quintet “New View” Columbia / Koch cd

94d429de1989f83773a588d747976313849018ae

Talk online of Handy made me seek this one out from the shelves. What a band! Albert Stinson was taken from us too soon.

Alto Saxophone – John Handy
Bass – Albert Stinson
Drums – Doug Sides
Guitar – Pat Martino
Vibraphone – Bobby Hutcherson

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Me too in Hildesheim + Wallace Roney, Javon Jackson, Julian Priester and Peter Washington. Art Blakey always looked at Benny Green with a smile!

oh very interesting, I would have liked to see that edition.

In my case it was in the late 80´s and it was Javon Jackson if I remember right, and it was Peter Washington I think, but no Roney and no Julian Priester which I would have liked to hear. 

I don´t remember who was the trumpet player , the trombone player I think was a very young guy, but they all was great and yeah, Benny Green. The only white guy I had seen until then in a Blakey band was the Russian trumpet player Valeriu Ponomarev. 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

More John Handy. . . “Mosaic Select” disc 1

The famous concert album.

74ca92d768d9736f5a29d061f942e1a7814a5282

The booklet for this one contained the following "Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."  It's a shame Mosaic didn't get around to that release.  

1 hour ago, dougcrates said:

The booklet for this one contained the following "Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."  It's a shame Mosaic didn't get around to that release.  

I guess. . .there's still hope!

Chick Corea + Origin “A Week at the Blue Note” disc 2

84241986d9225d96867ef286dabfa75db4265c4d

I really love this box set. Great music in sound that makes you feel you are there if you use your imagination.